• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Which Trilogy first?

gangster

Beyond the rim
I've seen the Psi-Corps Trilogy, Centauri Trilogy, Crusade Trilogy and Technomage Trilogy mentioned on this, the Cursade and Ranger Forums. I have not read any of these but think I will so my questions are: 1.) What are the titles in each trilogy? 2.) Who is the publisher(s)? 3.) What would be the best order to read these?

All of the trilogies are published by Del Rey Books (in the U.S. There may be other publishers overseas.) Each is self-contained, telling its own story, so there is really no "right" order in which to read them. The Technomage books take place entirely within the time-frame of the series. The other two overlap the series (covering events before and after the five years from 2258 to 2262) and go as far into the future as 2278 and 2281, but only deal with events that directly involve their own stories. So there isn't a "chronological" order that you'd follow from trilogy to trilogy.

Here are the titles:

The Psi-Corps Trilogy (Doesn't really have an over-all title) by J. Gregory Keyes

Dark Genesis: The Birth of the Corps
Strange Relations: Bester Ascendant
Final Reckoning: The Fate of Bester

Legions of Fire by Peter David

The Long Night of Centauri Prime
Armies of Light and Dark
Out of the Darkness

The Passing of the Technomages by Jeanne Cavelos

Casting Shadows
Invoking Darkness
Summoning Light

Regards,

Joe

I would recommend reading the Centauri Trilogy first since it answers the most questions left open from the series. Specifically the situation surrounding the death of Londo and G'Kar as well as the reign of the Drakh on Centauri Prime.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gangster:
<font color=yellow>Thanks, Joe. Amazon has all nine listed so ordered the entire lot.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

You've got some interesting reading ahead. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

I read them in the order they were published (Psi Corps, Centauri Prime, and then Technomage), and that worked out OK. This way, when you get to the Technomage trilogy, you'll recognize some names from the Centauri Prime (Legions of Fire) trilogy.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:
<font color=yellow>I would recommend reading the Centauri Trilogy first since it answers the most questions left open from the series. Specifically the situation surrounding the death of Londo and G'Kar as well as the reign of the Drakh on Centauri Prime.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the recommendation but I think I'll start with Psi-Corps, then go to the Centauri Prime books, since I've always wanted to know what happened to Bester. The Technomage books will be last.

Whatever floats your boat. I would warn you that the first book of the psicorp trilogy is not the most loved books. Some people find it has too much exposition and too many characters with multiple names making it a more difficult read. I did not find this too taxing but you might.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:
<font color=yellow>Whatever floats your boat. I would warn you that the first book of the psicorp trilogy is not the most loved books. Some people find it has too much exposition and too many characters with multiple names making it a more difficult read. I did not find this too taxing but you might.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Considering some of the stuff I had to read in the past, should be easy reading. <LOL>

Thanks for the input.

I know it is a bit late in the game to pipe in but you can always read my reviews and summaries on my web site:

http://abyss.hubbe.net/b5/books/trilogies.html

It has a collection of stuff JMS has said over the years too which you might find interesting. It also has places to find them online but it sounds like you got that part down already. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lyta:
<font color=yellow>I know it is a bit late in the game to pipe in but you can always read my reviews and summaries on my web site:

http://abyss.hubbe.net/b5/books/trilogies.html

It has a collection of stuff JMS has said over the years too which you might find interesting. It also has places to find them online but it sounds like you got that part down already. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Thanks, Lyta. Took a quick peek at the site and bookmarked for a more detailed look later today.

<font color=yellow>Whatever floats your boat. I would warn you that the first book of the psicorp trilogy is not the most loved books. Some people find it has too much exposition and too many characters with multiple names making it a more difficult read. I did not find this too taxing but you might.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

And that is a good reason to take notes. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KoshN:
<font color=yellow>And that is a good reason to take notes. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Notepad always on hand. <LOL>

<font color=yellow>Notepad always on hand. <LOL></font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I write in my books with a Pentel 0.7mm mechanical pencil ("F" lead, not too hard so it doesn't easily tear the pages).

<font color=yellow>I write in my books with a Pentel 0.7mm mechanical pencil ("F" lead, not too hard so it doesn't easily tear the pages).</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Good choice for notepads. But for book writing, I use a computer with Word Perfect 9/NaturalSpeaking V-5p word recoginition software. Easier for me see what I've written and correct.

<font color=yellow>Good choice for notepads. But for book writing, I use a computer with Word Perfect 9/NaturalSpeaking V-5p word recoginition software. Easier for me see what I've written and correct.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

You read and make your notations at the computer? Not me. I print the notes in the books (in the margins), and on the blank pages at the front for certain red flag events (p.## and a short description).

I find the noise of my Western Digital SCSI drive too annoying to read at the PC.

<font color=yellow>You read and make your notations at the computer? Not me. I print the notes in the books (in the margins), and on the blank pages at the front for certain red flag events (p.## and a short description).

I find the noise of my Western Digital SCSI drive too annoying to read at the PC.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Yep!

<font color=yellow> I would warn you that the first book of the psicorp trilogy is not the most loved books. </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
(*I hate when forum eats my post - im to lazy to write it again so i'll keep it short*)

IMO Telepth trilogy is best B5 trilogy.First book of trilogy is my favorite.<font class="small">Spoiler:</font>
<table bgcolor="#000000" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2" border="0"><tr bgcolor="#000000"><td bgcolor="#000000" id="spoiler"><font color="#000000"> There are no mention of Babylon 5 names and places in first part of first book..its like some ordinary sci-fi book about special powers and i like that. A lot of mystery and tension is always high.Very good writing. And there are practicaly no Bester in this book</font></td></tr></table>
Keyes style is fantastic and there are lots of action and drama.

Centauri and Techno-mage trilogyies are good but i HATE Cavelos writing style and David's style is too slow imo. But Londo is interesting character so it was interesting reading. And Bester is much better character (and has much better actor) than Galen.
And you just can't hate Bester when you have read telepath trilogy /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Sigma

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sigma:
<font color=yellow>

IMO Telepth trilogy is best B5 trilogy.First book of trilogy is my favorite.<font class="small">Spoiler:</font>
<table bgcolor="#000000" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2" border="0"><tr bgcolor="#000000"><td bgcolor="#000000" id="spoiler"><font color="#000000"> There are no mention of Babylon 5 names and places in first part of first book..its like some ordinary sci-fi book about special powers and i like that. A lot of mystery and tension is always high.Very good writing. And there are practicaly no Bester in this book</font></td></tr></table>
Keyes style is fantastic and there are lots of action and drama.
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Really? I thought it was a little tedious at times. Also, keeping track of who's who (real name and their alias), and who's speaking to whom got a little tricky at times (due to sloppy writing in a few places; had to figure it out by thinking of which character was more likely to have said what had just been said, and sometimes it could have been either character /ubbthreads/images/icons/eek.gif ).

<font color=yellow>Centauri and Techno-mage trilogyies are good but i HATE Cavelos writing style and David's style is too slow imo. But Londo is interesting character so it was interesting reading.

What do you hate about Cavelos writing style, the A/B thread cliffhanger tease?

<font color=yellow> And Bester is much better character (and has much better actor) than Galen.

Hmm, I don't agree with that one. Bester's had longer to develop though. Regarding the actors, I like them both equally well.

<font color=yellow> And you just can't hate Bester when you have read telepath trilogy /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Hate him, no. Disgusted by him, yes. I just wanted to step on him and squish him like a bug.

Good opinion KoshN /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=yellow>Really? I thought it was a little tedious at times. Also, keeping track of who's who (real name and their alias), and who's speaking to whom got a little tricky at times (due to sloppy writing in a few places; had to figure it out by thinking of which character was more likely to have said what had just been said, and sometimes it could have been either character /ubbthreads/images/icons/eek.gif ).</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
I parly agree...but there was only 3-4 main character to keep track of...and first book covers over 100 years. I just like this style /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=yellow>
What do you hate about Cavelos writing style, the A/B thread cliffhanger tease?</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
I just dont know. Maybe its my not perfect english skill (i understand a lot better than my spelling skill is) but i doubt it because David's and Keyes books was very understandable. Maybe Cavelos uses just complex vocabulary.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=yellow>Hmm, I don't agree with that one. Bester's had longer to develop though. Regarding the actors, I like them both equally well.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
But just look "Well of Forever" where Galen clearly overacts.Galen is much better in "The Path of Sorrows" and in "A Call to Arms".

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=yellow>Hate him, no. Disgusted by him, yes. I just wanted to step on him and squish him like a bug.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Its not 100% true but i partly agree what Bester sayd in Crusade script - Main difference between warcriminal and hero is made by those who write history.

In real world there is Palestinian and Israel conflict. Its not good vs. evil conflict.
Palestinians say that Arafat is hero and Sharon is criminal
Israels say that Sharon is hero and arafat is criminal.
And Israels are killing a lot more peole than Palestinians. Thats a fact

And Bush killed a lot of innocent people in Afghanistan....is he then warcriminal, should we disgust him?

<font color=yellow>In real world there is Palestinian and Israel conflict. Its not good vs. evil conflict.
Palestinians say that Arafat is hero and Sharon is criminal
Israels say that Sharon is hero and arafat is criminal.
And Israels are killing a lot more peole than Palestinians. Thats a fact

Let's leave the real world out of this. It's too depressing, frustrating, and the cause of too much anger. The Arabs and Israelis will be fighting each other as long as one of each (1 Arab & 1 Isreali) is alive. They know no other way. They'll be nothing but a festering sore for the entire world, forever. There is no solution because both sides are fanatics.

<font color=yellow>And Bush killed a lot of innocent people in Afghanistan....is he then warcriminal, should we disgust him?

Depends on your definition of "a lot" and "innocent."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back