• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Whatever happened to Centauri Prime? [Spoilers]

Strifeguard

Beyond the rim
Okay, so I've been working my way through my season 5 DVDs now that I'm out of college for the summer, and last night I watched "The Fall of Centauri Prime,".

Now, here's the thing, I'm curious (as someone who's never read the Centauri Triology) what's the deal with Centauri Prime?

Are we honestly supposed to believe that the fires and destruction caused during 1 night of bombardment are still not reconciled 12 years later? (as the scenes of fire and destruction on Centauri Prime in "War Without End" would seem to suggest)

Or did something else happen? I know that the Drakh were setting the Centauri up to be some kind of Nazi-esque empire (beaten, downtrodden, angry at the universe, wanting revenge, etc.) so are we supposed to assume that after a decade or so the Centauri once again declare war on the galaxy (or something very close) causing the destruction we see in "War Without End"? But even that leaves *many* questions unanswered.

For example, if there are fusion bombs all over Centauri Prime, then wouldn't Londo's actions in War Without End cause the Drakh to detonate them? (i.e. by letting Sheridan and Delenn go, isn't Londo most likely acting against the Drakh?) Wouldn't that spell certain doom for Centauri Prime anyway? Or are we supposed to assume that the events we see in War Without End take place *after* the fusion bombs have already been detonated (possibly causing the destruction we see) hence the Drakh hold on Centauri Prime never really extends to Vir. (After all, we see Vir take the Emperor's plate, but we don't see any Drakh nearby, and Vir never seems to recieve a keeper.)

Anyway, I was wondering what the answers to any of these questions were. At the very least, can someone confirm that we're not supposed to believe the Centauri literally take 12 years to put out a bunch of fires?

Okay, so I've been working my way through my season 5 DVDs now that I'm out of college for the summer, and last night I watched "The Fall of Centauri Prime,".

Now, here's the thing, I'm curious (as someone who's never read the Centauri Trilogy) what's the deal with Centauri Prime?

Are we honestly supposed to believe that the fires and destruction caused during 1 night of bombardment are still not reconciled 12 years later? (as the scenes of fire and destruction on Centauri Prime in "War Without End" would seem to suggest)

NO.

Solution: Read the Centauri Trilogy. Get thee to a bookstore! :)

Title: Legions of Fire - Book I - The Long Night of Centauri Prime
Author: David, Peter
Timeframe: ~10/2262-12/2266. Dates corrected to line up with A Call to Arms and Crusade.
Isbn1: 0-345-42718-1
Copyright1: December 1999
Publisher1: DelRey

Title: Legions of Fire - Book II - Armies of Light and Dark
Timeframe: 12/14/2266-04/18/2272. Dates corrected to line up with A Call to Arms and Crusade.
Isbn1: 0-345-42719-X
Copyright1: May 2000

Title: Legions of Fire - Book III - Out of the Darkness
Timeframe: 05/14/2273-01/21/2277. Dates corrected to line up with A Call to Arms and Crusade.
Isbn1: 0-345-42720-3
Copyright1: November 2000

The best answer I can give is read the Centauri Trilogy. But if you've got to know...

Spoilers

No, not the same fires.

More indepth spoilers

The fires are from Vir's retaking of Centauri Prime. When Londo lets Sheridan and Delenn go the bombs have already been blown up or dissarmed.

Even more spoilers

In order to insure Sheridan and Delenn get away Londo has to quite his keeper so G'Kar was in some ways the weapon Londo chose for suicide.

Re: Whatever happened to Centauri Prime? [Spoilers

I wonder, why the hell didn't they create new composite paintings or whatever they are called for the second bombardment? If you ask me, JMS should have worried less about finishing the show under-budget and more about not confusing the fans by reusing the shots in s5. :rolleyes:

Re: Whatever happened to Centauri Prime? [Spoilers

The second bombardment was not a bombardment from space, but bombs exploding all over the planet. They summed it up with a simple 'the devasation was as bad as it had been 12 years ago' line or somtehing like that. I need to re-read those books.

It was all a bit to convenient in terms of plotting.
I totally second Fas's point about composites...

Back