• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What were your opinions?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

This is my first post to these forums, so I think I'll just amuse myself by asking a few questions about what other people thought rather than trying to foist my new-to-b5 opinions on them straight out.

What was was your impression overall? How did it compare to other material in the B5 universe?

What did you think of the characters? Did they seem interesting and deep? How do they stack up to characters from the rest of the universe?

What did you think of the acting? Was there anyone whose performance stood out to you, for good or ill?

Compared to The Gathering and Call To Arms, how does To Live and Die in Starlight compare as the starter for a series? Does it show more or less promise than the others showed?

What would have made it better? Is there anything particular that you were looking for that was lacking, or was there anything that was included that you didn't like?

So yeah. These questions are in no logical order, but I'm curious how people more familiar with the B5 universe are inclined to respond to them.

------------------
Sorry, I don't have a creative signature.

I really liked the movie. Unlike others i didnt go in wanting a oscar performance in a pilot movie. I loved the charectors. They worked great. My fav line was "I am Dirk I.....Life Heavy Things .. I am Dirk". IT has a lot of potential for a series. Hope it happens

capt

------------------
DS9 and B5. Who would have thought 2 of my fav shows would take place on stations in the middle of nowhere :)

The part that I saw was the coolest they really did a nice job. but unfornunalty I didn't get to see the last 15 minutes because I FELL ASLEEP ON THE COUCH! ARGH I HATE MYSELF!
mad.gif

------------------
I live for the One, I Die For the One

http://pub90.ezboard.com/bthezocalo94948

I thought the first half hour or so was uneven; and there were spots throughout the film where the dialogue was forced. Other than that, it was pretty cool. I enjoyed it.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mondo Londo:
I thought the first half hour or so was uneven; and there were spots throughout the film where the dialogue was forced. Other than that, it was pretty cool. I enjoyed it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I entirely agree, Mondo Londo.

As pilots go, I'd say TLADIS better than the Gathering, not as good as A Call to Arms.

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

Weak in a couple of spots, but overall very good.

------------------
"We Centauri live our lives for appearances. Position, status, title; these are the things by which we define ourselves. But when I look beneath the mask I am forced to wear, I see only emptiness. And then I think of you. And I say to hell with appearances." - Ambassador Londo Mollari, Born to the Purple

Throughout the movie, I kept saying to myself, "This is the movie that is supposed to be so *bad*?" I didn't think it was bad at all. In fact, I like it better than Thirdspace & River of Souls, both of which I wasn't that impressed with. I would *love* to see a Rangers series. Time for the "Rangers Series" campaign to begin!
smile.gif

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

I liked the moive. I thought is was better than River of Souls. My favorite person of the movie was that Drazi guy who said he carried large things. He reminded me of Zathras. Although, he was not as smart as Zathras, still I liked him.

------------------
Have a nice day!!!

I say that it was a good movie. The acting was great, the special effects rocked, and the things the crew faced on their mission made it exciting.

It was great to finally see Dylan, Myriam, and the others in action. They did a good job, IMHO, and I was happy to see them.

I thought the music for the movie was good, but not what I expected. It almost had a "Chen feel" to it. It was still Franke, but not as good as the music for B5.

But all in all, I enjoyed the movie and was glad I got to see it.
smile.gif

------------------
With a salad fork and a couple of purple wombats I could rule the galaxy.

I really enjoyed it. Especially when a certain Narn peeked under the robe of a Council Member.
laugh.gif

------------------
"Get out of my way, or by God I'll shove you out the airlock!"

I Loved It! It felt natural from the very beginning... the much anticipated treatment of "The Hand" was handled well, in typical JMS fashion, and the crew had an instant cameraderie that seemed like they'd been working together for a long time. While everyone was impressive, I especially liked Martel (great exhibition of leadership characteristics...I'd follow him into fire!), Dulann (I originally thought him to be a Lennier clone, but he's so much more), and Cantrell (a "kick ass" lady that's got a secret). The rest of the crew were all great as well, especially Bridges in his apology to G'Kar.

I just got the feeling watching this show that there would be another episode on next week... it felt like it should be a series. It was MUCH better than Enterprise on all counts: crew, special effects, plot, acting, you name it. My only concern is the appeal to the non-B5er's...do you think they could pick up enough of the universe to make sense of it (after all, I never heard them explain who "The One" was).

All in all however, this puppy's got a lot of potential, and from all the investment in advertising SciFi has done so far (note, this is being shown with their 2002 promos, which include series), I think they realize it too. I'm confident we'll see a series announcement from Bonnie Hammer in the near future (but, then again, I'm a glass half full kind of guy).

As the late, great Country Dick Montana of the Beat Farmers say, "I'm a Happy Boy, ain't it good when things are goin' your way." (If anyone wants an MP3 of that uplifting song, let me know).

Yipee!
smile.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif
lol.gif
wink.gif

p.s., I've taped it in SP format on two VCRs, and the wife hasn't watched it yet, so guess what we're going to do this morning (well, after that).

------------------
Wipster

"Live Long in Prosser"

I loved it! As others have said, I think it went a tiny bit over the top here and there, but only for a moment. It would easily be the most interesting series offered on Sci-Fi. For me, at least.

Here's hoping we see a "Rangers" series very soon!

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

I only found it so, so. I prob. had too high expectations, since it was only a "pilot."
The scrpit was only good, it could have used some revisions.

FX were great.

Sets were corny, and I thought they took away from the seriousness of the movie.

Gunnery pod was interresting, but Myriam made it kinda goofy with her screaming and kicking.

I'm sorry I have to say this but:

Myriam was terrible. She over-acted like crazy, and since my older bro is a talented and educated actor, I do know what to do, and what not to do. It did seem as one reviewer ponted out that she tried to upstage dylan in every scene.

Dylan, Alex and Katsulas, were all very good, and I could see where Dylan could bring his char.

Also:
SPOILERS
Reviewers kept complaining about how easily they beat the Hands ships, but those weren't actual Hand ships. Those were gifts, much like Drakh tech. This pissed me off, because reviewers just didn't get this.

So. It was alright. Has potential, and if made into a series I'll be looking forward to it. I hope JMS puts a little more into the story. It seemed pretty clunky, not fresh and original like his other stuff, and like what I was expecting.

my two cents.
Phil

------------------
"And that, Mollari, is why it will not be your people, or mine, or the Gaim, or the Drazi or the Vorlons or the Shadows who in the end will stand astride the galaxy like giants. It will be the humans."
"I think you are the one who is mad, G'kar," Londo said. "I can choose just as well as the humans. I can choose to stay in this cell, with you, or I can choose to leave."
"Yes, but can you choose for there not to be a cell at all?"
"I don't understand," Londo said.
"Exactly," G'kar said. "Exactly."

I enjoyed TLaDiS. It's a pilot, of course it had some mistakes. Should the Rangers ever come to series, the actors will have more knowledge of how to portray their characters, and JMS will have more time with the script. I'm looking forward to seeing it as a series, and I absolutely loved G'Kar in it. Fabulous, as always.

------------------
"There's always hope, because it's the one thing nobody's figured out how to kill yet." - Galen

Over all I liked it. I especially liked Katulis' exit from the other ambasadors, I never thought I'ld see a Gnar say "kiss, kiss"

I had two technical problems. First their portral of the hyperspace jump points. There was a point to the colors in the original series, the blue shift and red shift caused by light moving towards or away from you. In the movie it was always blue. Also the fire control center of the Liandra was a little much. For the weapons officer to be so proficient with it that has to be common place, but the White stars and other ships built by the Mimbari don't have anythin like that and the ship is supposed to be 20 years old which puts it being built at least before the war with the shadows.

What I loved most about B5 was how it portrayed science fiction with a hard science back ground unlike other series such as Star Trek, it looks like they slipped a little with the Rangers.

------------------

In reply to Hell2555:

Unfortunately I still haven't seen it (the joys of living in Europe
crazy.gif
) but basing on the trailers and reviews, it seemed pretty much Babylon 5. I haven't noticed any impossible differences, just views from a new angle:

1. A new setting (a small ship).
2. A new cast and crew (no character background, except Katsulas).
3. A new effects company (no experience with this environment).

And naturally, some technical quirks which are inevitable. If you wish to see real cringe moments, try rewatching the first version of "The Gathering". Such things can be sorted out later.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Troll:

Since i will probably be stoned for my "less-then approving" comments i thought i would spare most the touble of typing it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would hope the opposite. I would hope that your concerns are noticed and criticism considered, and that a series will come... being much better for the following reasons:

1. Criticism taken into account, SFX company will make improvements, undue consistency flaws get sorted out, actors become familiar with their characters...

2. And last but not least, JMS will have time to build a story. You should remember how long "Babylon 5" developed. The concept was written before 1990, the pilot aired in 1994 -- and was still horrible. The first season gradually improved and the second was excellent. The third redefined the meaning of "excellent".
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>and events cannot be expected to be perfect,they can at least be a good foundation of things yet to come. I did not see this here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A good foundation for a series, given that the Hand is left out. There are countless stories to explore in this world, and these stories can be told in "Rangers". Appearances can be smoothed and changed, acting refined. But the main question is simple: are there stories to tell?

My answer is: yes, there are definitely stories to tell. I plan to wait until these stories are found and told.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited January 20, 2002).]

i was somewhat dissappointed in the movie but then two hours is not really long enough to develope new characters. if it becomes a series i hope that development takes place. these characters just didn't have the same deph and character as the original

------------------

Overall I liked the movie. I think that the writing was definitely up to par with JMS's usual work. The dialogue was excellent, except for a couple bits of cheese here and there. I really only had one criticism: that stupid weapons interface.

That goofy VR interface for the weapons looked stupid. I could see having a VR chamber where the user could clearly see what was going on all around the ship, but the whole kung fu fighting bit was just dumb. I mean, c'mon, if she gets tired can they no longer fight? Sorry, captain, weapons are at 100% but I've got this killer pain in my hamstring so we need to run.

But other than that major annoyance, the movie kicked butt. Definitely a good setup for a series if Sci-fi wants to go that way (PLLLEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSEEEEE).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackStar:
I really enjoyed it. Especially when a certain Narn peeked under the robe of a Council Member.
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely. I really think that his appearance in the movie added a lot. The scene where he ran into the infiltration officer in disguise was priceless!

Oh, one other technicality. Is it just me or would you think something named "The Valen", having as much significance in Minbari history, would be a bit buffer? I mean, that sounds like it should be some massive flag ship captained by the absolute elite, not some newbie captain.

Okay, I know, I'm being picky, but it just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. But I will say I loved all the stabs at human ship design and the "engines and a brick" comment.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back