• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What the hell does it mean!

Mr. Bester

Beyond the rim
In a message during s1 of Babylon 5 JMS said, "

Okay, look...do this. Get a piece of paper. Write down the following: "Sinclair sees the hand, but Sinclair does not see the hand. And five other people standing in the room would not see the hand that Sinclair sees, or see the hand that they see."

I know it looks like gibberish. But trust me on this. Put the piece of paper in your wallet (next to the condom) and hold onto it for about two years. Assuming we're still around that long, at some point that message will make absolute and perfect sense. "

So what does it mean? What is this hand that can/can't be seen?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mr. Bester:
<font color=yellow>In a message during s1 of Babylon 5 JMS said...

I know it looks like gibberish. But trust me on this. Put the piece of paper in your wallet (next to the condom) and hold onto it for about two years. Assuming we're still around that long, at some point that message will make absolute and perfect sense. "

So what does it mean? What is this hand that can/can't be seen?</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
This was his round-about way to try to describe to people on the B5 Moderated Newsgroup what a Vorlon was.

Spoilers ahead! Do NOT read on if you dont want the Vorlon Mystery Spoiled!!!!!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=yellow>"Sinclair sees the hand, but Sinclair does not see the hand."</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
In other words. If Sinclair were to look at a Vorlon, he would see the Vorlon, but he would not see the Vorlon. This is because when we look at them, we see what they WANT us to believe is their appearance, but it isnt their TRUE appearance. So he sees it, but he doesnt REALLY see it. The Angelic form is what they project, their real form is seen in "Falling Toward Apoetheis"

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=yellow>"And five other people standing in the room would not see the hand that Sinclair sees, or see the hand that they see."</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
This further describes how they are 'seen.' A Vorlon projects to us how they want us to see them --- which is as of a being of light in a given species own religious backgrounds. We saw a human Angel. The Minbari saw one of their religious figures. The Narn saw a Narn, and the Drazi a Drazi, etc. So those 5 people dont see the same appearance that Sinclair as a human would have seen, and they also dont see the same appearance that each other sees, they only see it as it applies to THEIR OWN race's religious beliefs. And, as above, they still arent REALLY seeing his true appearance.

That brings up this question:

Simce Sinclair was really Valen, if a Vorlon was to appear to him, would he show himself as that angelic being of light, or as he truly is?

I would think it would be the angel because Sinclair doesn't really know that he was Valen.

As seen in "A fall in the night" were Sheriden is saved by Kosh.G'Kar saw G'Non, the drazi saw Droshalla and Lennier saw Valeria and Londo didn't see anything.Each was an angelic form from that race...

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Recoil:
<font color=yellow>This was his round-about way to try to describe to people on the B5 Moderated Newsgroup what a Vorlon was.

Spoilers ahead! Do NOT read on if you dont want the Vorlon Mystery Spoiled!!!!!

In other words. If Sinclair were to look at a Vorlon, he would see the Vorlon, but he would not see the Vorlon. This is because when we look at them, we see what they WANT us to believe is their appearance, but it isnt their TRUE appearance. So he sees it, but he doesnt REALLY see it. The Angelic form is what they project, their real form is seen in "Falling Toward Apoetheis"

This further describes how they are 'seen.' A Vorlon projects to us how they want us to see them --- which is as of a being of light in a given species own religious backgrounds. We saw a human Angel. The Minbari saw one of their religious figures. The Narn saw a Narn, and the Drazi a Drazi, etc. So those 5 people dont see the same appearance that Sinclair as a human would have seen, and they also dont see the same appearance that each other sees, they only see it as it applies to THEIR OWN race's religious beliefs. And, as above, they still arent REALLY seeing his true appearance.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Already knew this, but great deduction

Which series does "falling towards Apothesis" belong to. The only form I've seen for a Vorlon is either bright light in the pilot and as an angel which is a perceptive image for the lesser races!

Falling Towards Apotheosis is in the first batch of season 4, I think it was either episode 4 or 5. Unless I'm confusing it with something else.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by crazy:
<font color=yellow>Already knew this, but great deduction</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Yes, you did, but our friend who started this thread didnt. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back