• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What other races from trek could be considered First Ones?

The Q.
smile.gif

------------------

Remember from TNG of Trek the Barclay episode? At least I think it was the Barclay episode where the aliens at the end of a very strange journey looked like a big giant head. (Hmmm, wonder if that is where 3rd rock got the idea from!)
laugh.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' " - Zero Mostel, The Producers

Whoa. Loaded question!

Well, there was that race that saved Charlie X, but made him not human in the process. I don't think we ever got their names.

There was a race called the Meltrons, I think, that pitted Capt. Kirk in individual battle against that huge reptile ship captain (I think the reptiles were called the Gorn).

Then there were the Organians, who stopped a war between the Klingons and the Federation.

General Trelane's species seemed advanced enough to be first ones.

Then there was that ancient race that shed their bodies and put their essences into spheres -- only three were left by the time the Enteprise found them, but they were still quite advanced.

Then there was that group of brains that bet on the gladitor games, the race from the pilot episode on Talos IV; and the race that tortured McCoy so an alien female (Jem?) could learn compassion, which would in turn earn her race the right to be saved from a super nova.

Come to think of it, the TOS crew met quite a few super species.

In TNG, besides the Q, there was an entity in season II that put the Enteprise in a maze and did experiments.

There was also that fellow who wiped out an entire race just by thinking about it, because that culture attacked the colony where he and he human wife were living...

In DS9, we see the wormhole aliens -- both the Prophets and the Pagh Wraiths -- I think they'd qualify...

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

ha <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mondo Londo:
Whoa. Loaded question!
and the race that tortured McCoy so an alien female (Jem?) could learn compassion, which would in turn earn her race the right to be saved from a super nova.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But that race wasn't transcendent, I mean they didn't have the cool bodies and incredible mental powers that the vorlons, shadows and walkers have.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Bester:
What science fiction races do you guys think could be considered First ones?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trelane's parents from "The Squire of Gothos"
http://www.startrek.com/library/tos_episodes/episodes_tos_detail_68696.asp

The Metrons from "Arena"
http://www.startrek.com/library/tos_episodes/episodes_tos_detail_68698.asp

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mondo Londo:
Whoa. Loaded question!

Well, there was that race that saved Charlie X, but made him not human in the process. I don't think we ever got their names.

There was a race called the Meltrons, I think, that pitted Capt. Kirk in individual battle against that huge reptile ship captain (I think the reptiles were called the Gorn).

Then there were the Organians, who stopped a war between the Klingons and the Federation.

General Trelane's species seemed advanced enough to be first ones.

Then there was that ancient race that shed their bodies and put their essences into spheres -- only three were left by the time the Enteprise found them, but they were still quite advanced.

Then there was that group of brains that bet on the gladitor games, the race from the pilot episode on Talos IV; and the race that tortured McCoy so an alien female (Jem?) could learn compassion, which would in turn earn her race the right to be saved from a super nova.

Come to think of it, the TOS crew met quite a few super species.

In TNG, besides the Q, there was an entity in season II that put the Enteprise in a maze and did experiments.

There was also that fellow who wiped out an entire race just by thinking about it, because that culture attacked the colony where he and he human wife were living...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

"The Survivors"
Kevin Uxbridge, a member of the Douwd.

...in an instant of grief, destroyed all Husnock, everywhere, ... made extinct, with a thought.
shocked.gif

http://www.startrek.com/library/episodes_TNG_detail.asp?id=68408

One of my favorite TNG eps.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Possibly the Q, the Travelers. The Cartaker was really old. Its also possible that the Dinosaur off-breeds could be that old--remember their city ship? I believe they were called the Voth.

------------------
"Tho' much is taken,much abides; and tho' we are not that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
-- Alfred Lord Tennyson
A poem left by Jeff Sinclair for John Sheridan

How can I turn away
Brother/Sister go dancing
Through my head
Human as to human
The future is no place
To place your better days
--Dave Mathews Band "Cry freedom"

Some of the races mentioned don't seem first oneish to me, only superior. Three possible candidates: Aquila, the entity that toyed with TNG ship and crew trapped in a black void. Perhaps the race that the living ship Gumtu came from. Maybe even the crystal entity.

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Halloween palindrome: Eva, can I stab bats in a cave?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Mondo Londo:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good one, Mondo. That was a powerful being. Made the Shadows look like kindergarten playground bullies. Not that kindergarten bullies are anything to be laughed at. But he was a walking dilemma, wasn’t he? IIRC, he didn’t just save the colonists in the first place because his race had some kind of ethical code they had to stick to. To adhere so strictly to such values, and then to rage out and wipe out an entire race: talk about irony.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' " - Zero Mostel, The Producers

Funny how no one mentioned anything except Trek episodes.

The first "First Ones" that I know of would have to be the Arisians from the Lensman series.
They guided the evolution of countless species for Millions of years in order to create a species that was worthy and capable of taking their place as Guardians of the galaxy.

FWIW, the "Guardians" in the Green lantern series were based on the Arisians. Deliberately, down to naming characters in the comic after characters, races or places in the Lensman series of books.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Funny how no one mentioned anything except Trek episodes.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because the thread topic specifically asked for trek references.

The real funny thing is the idea of using a concept from B5 to talk about Trek. I've heard of apples and oranges, but this is one hell of a fruit basket.

Ah, the insanity of fandom.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

I would sasy that race from the episode were the klingons, romulans, humans, and cardassians had to work together to solve the puzzle. It turned out that an ancient race had seeded there planets with genitc material. Each of them had a piece of this ancient race. I forget there names, but I think that would be the good fit for a first one.

------------------
Scott Gifford

Please pardon the spelling errors, grammer errors and various sarcastic overtures

The Q (duh)
The Cytherians (center of the galaxy "big head dudes")
The Prophets (the wormhole alien dudes)
The Metrons
The Progenitors (you know, that bald chick that showed up and informed everyone that we all have the same genetic make-up)

------------------
Hi, Oblivion! How are the wife and kids?

The Federation because no matter how hard or superior you are, you just can't beat them.

------------------
"Ink on a page." -Refa describing the moral depths of a treaty.

The Nox and the Asgards in Stargate SG1?

------------------
May you all be well and happy, free from suffering, free from sickness.

The entity that trapped the Enterprise-D in that void was called Nagilum.

------------------
"No one here is exactly who he appears," - G'Kar

Don't forget the Celestials and Watchers of Marvel comics! And the Children of Oberon of Gargoyles.

------------------

Oki. Time to return in a triumphant burst of clarity.

I had only one to add:

You mention The Prophets, but what about the Kostomogen???

~M~

------------------
~Master of Assassins, Thenta Map'kur~

"So .. When you were emperor, it meant something. Subduer of the Xon and the Shoggren. .. Now .. Ptttp! Anyone can be emperor. I can be emperor. Vir can be emperor. If Vir can be emperor, a small earth cat can be emperor..."

Moving this topic. Not sure which forum is best, other TV shows or general discussion. Hmm. I'll go with general discussion. *moving*

------------------
"You're such a gentleman. Too bad I'm not a lady." - Max, Dark Angel

"X5-599. I've got a heart for you." - Zack, Dark Angel

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back