• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Were the shadows first ones?

DSigal

The debate of whether the Shadow's were first one's or not based on that they weren't energy creatures like the Vorlons has been debated earlier. The answer is in the beginning of the third technomage book.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> In the first chapter Kosh states "They too were creatures of light, yet they preferred a more material form, encasing themselves in jagged carapaces of blackness, adopting outer cases that reflected the inner truth of their being"
</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
"We have had, continue to have and always will have wars and grief and struggle...we will climb high and fall down...but each time we will climb a little higher"-JMS

[This message has been edited by Ivanova (edited December 25, 2001).]

We also saw the Shadow's energy state at least Twice.

Both times when Ivanova happened to be present.

When she went exploring using the Great Machine, a Shadow almost captured her mind. We saw it in its Pure Energy form.

Again when Ivanova, Delenn and Lyta went to Z'ha'Dum, we saw a Shadow in Energy Form try to capture the White Star by taking control of their minds and convincing them to land on Z'Ha'Dum.
In energy form, they look a lot like the Heads they wear in their solid forms, right down to the 7 glowing eyes on each side of the face.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

I would point out a slight difference. The definition of first ones often includes, but does not require existing in energy form. First ones are simply beings of extreme age and knowledge, with abilities difficult but nevertheless possible to imagine for the younger races.

Their ability of temporarily forming (or permanently maintaining) a non-corporeal body comes as a package deal with their technology and knowledge.

The fact that they avoid direct confrontations can be attributed to increased patience and experience, or simply the threat of mutually assured destruction on a galactic level.

But they have kept most characteristics of sentient beings. They are capable of incredible wisdom and incredible stupidity. Their wisdom or stupidity simply has greater consequences.

Somebody called Lorien also claimed that they have grown out of the stage of having strong feelings. They rarely feel love or hate in the way the younger races do.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

Hopefully they know how to use spoiler boxes properly
smile.gif

LOL
Sorry, couldn't resist, it was just a little bet we had in the Premium Members lounge about people and their skill with spoiler boxes.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>I won the bet
wink.gif
</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
My name: Solaris5....
My mission: to burst the bubble of idiocy that has enveloped everyone and bring common sense back from beyond the rim.

Fixed and fixed.
smile.gif

DSigal,

In the future, when you are going to post a spoiler, place the spoil between the two Spoiler brackets. {Spoiler} Like so {/Spoiler). Just pretend that the { are actually [.

Welcome the the site, by the way.
smile.gif

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

DSigal, the easy way to create the spoiler brackets is to look at the Left side of the screen next to the Reply box where it says "Easy include UBB code...". Click on the gadget there labeled "spoiler" and it will insert the spoiler brackets in the reply box for you. Then, just type or paste your comment between the begin/end spoiler tags.

Clicking on the Emoticons just Above there will automatically paste a tag that will later be translated into the emoticon at the end of your current reply.
smile.gif
Like so.
You can then type more comments after, if you like.
wink.gif

Or, if you remember the emoticon tag, you can type it yourself.
shocked.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Back