• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

War Zone - Eeuuuuuuuwwwwwww!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Having rewatched War Zone, I loathe TNT even more. War Zone is such a useless episode. When it isn't contradicting A Call to Arms, it's just annoying. Parts of it are interesting (I love the scene with Eilerson standing on the cliff), but the whole shtick of reintroducing Dureena and Galen when they'd already been introduced in ACtA, that stupid fistfight at the beginning, the canned riot sequences, the stupid exposition aimed at the supposedly stupid - it just aggravates me all over again.
mad.gif

I think that from now on I'm just going to pretend that there were only twelve episodes of Crusade and just let War Zone drop off my personal radar.
tongue.gif

------------------

Having just rewatched War Zone last weekend, I would say that I've seen much worse stuff than it on TV - and yes, Racing the Night makes a MUCH better first episode.

War Zone was indeed very weak in parts, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that I don't want to see it again... if not for anything else, then the Max parts were great.
blush.gif
lol.gif

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>... if not for anything else, then the Max parts were great.
blush.gif
lol.gif

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed!
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

I guess my biggest problem with it is that I find that now the Dureena/Galen bits really jar me out of the moment, and I lose the flow of the story.

Sort of like when that puppet has a scene in Farscape (forgive me, Farscape fans) and my brain screams "Look! a puppet!" and I totally drop out of the story.

I've never seen anything Joe's done that's a stinker. It's just that it strikes me more than ever how unnecessary that particular episode was.

Maybe I'll just watch Eilerson and Trace and ignore the rest.
laugh.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rhea:
Maybe I'll just watch Eilerson and Trace and ignore the rest.
laugh.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. On the latter at least. My comment was going to be at least it allowed a Trace episode.
laugh.gif

I didn't mind War Zone. And to me this sounds like most interfering networks, it's nothing new.

------------------
MPAA: Rated R for bad language, crude humor,
language, sexuality/nudity and drug content.

It is certainly better than a sharp stick in the eye - to say nothing of a sharp stick in both eyes....

Of all the bad things in life, this episode is nowhere near the top of the list. Why not just enjoy the good parts of it, and leave it at that...
cool.gif

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:
Agreed. On the latter at least. My comment was going to be at least it allowed a Trace episode.
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could have lived without Trace...
tongue.gif

Max, however, was not only the best part of War Zone but the best bit of Crusade.
laugh.gif

As for War Zone - the things I really didn't like were the fistfight in the beginning (plain stupid) and the Drakh 'soldiers' or whatever they were. Especially in the scene where they were on the footpath, going to attack the hiding place - they looked absolutely fake.

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers

War Zone? What is this episode you speak of?

There are only 12 episodes of Crusade, not 13. You must have eaten too much Mcbari's to be speaking this nonsense.

Heh heh

------------------
"We live for the one, we die for the one."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Natron:
War Zone? What is this episode you speak of?

There are only 12 episodes of Crusade, not 13. You must have eaten too much Mcbari's to be speaking this nonsense.

Heh heh

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heehee. Probably quite right.
lol.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Natron:
War Zone? What is this episode you speak of?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's part of the well-known "Crusade Apocrypha". Most Straczynskian scholars agree that it was written by an impostor, considerably later than the actual canon, though a minority believes that it was written by JMS on a dare, to prove that he actually could write something that was truly crap and get his fans to rationalize it away.
smile.gif

------------------
-- Marty
"Always do what you're good at," they tell me.
So I go around annoying people.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure Kribu's sole purpose in life is to provoke me. I swear.
laugh.gif

------------------
MPAA: Rated R for bad language, crude humor,
language, sexuality/nudity and drug content.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:
I'm sure Kribu's sole purpose in life is to provoke me. I swear.
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't swear. It's not nice.
tongue.gif

Other than that..... what on Earth could make you think that?? [Innocent smile]

------------------

I have this fantasy where SciFi renewed Crusade, fixed all of the TNT-caused continuity errors, and re-edited War Zone as a flashback episode (i.e., the "good parts version").

Now if only my fantasy would become reality, then all would be right in B5Land....

------------------
It's the quiet ones who change the universe. The loud ones only take the credit.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kalen Efran:
I have this fantasy where SciFi renewed Crusade, fixed all of the TNT-caused continuity errors, and re-edited War Zone as a flashback episode (i.e., the "good parts version").
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG, that's my fantasy too!!!

I mean re-do crusade the way jms wanted it, and somehow fit those 'other' part in

------------------
"Will you follow me into fire? Into storm, into darkness, into death?!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here, but Trace did have some good interactions with Max in Ruling from the Tomb.
laugh.gif

Max, however, was not only the best part of War Zone but the best bit of Crusade.
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He certainly got some of the best lines.
laugh.gif
Galen was right up there as well.
smile.gif

As for War Zone - the things I really didn't like were the fistfight in the beginning (plain stupid)...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed!

... and the Drakh 'soldiers' or whatever they were. Especially in the scene where they were on the footpath, going to attack the hiding place - they looked absolutely fake.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well the motion of the Drakh reacting to being fired upon by the Thunderbolts is hard to model/animate and make it look like they're living beings. I can forgive that/look past it. It was necessary to the story. Perhaps they were a little ambitious here, by showing the action so close. It would have been less apparent if it had been shown from a greater distance.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

I enjoyed the episdoe, "War Zone"! I thought the forced introductory stuff on many of the new characters was a bit trite but overall I loved it.

To me, one of the most painful things to watch these days is "Earth Final Conflict" in the current season. While that series has never been nearly as good as B5, the current season is really awful in so many, many ways!!! I literally cringe when I am so bored and watch it anyway.

Eirik

------------------
It never ends; it only changes!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
Well the motion of the Drakh reacting to being fired upon by the Thunderbolts is hard to model/animate and make it look like they're living beings. I can forgive that/look past it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, so can I. It's amazing just how forgiving I can be when it comes to certain elements in B5/Crusade.

If I started nitpicking *any* B5 episode, for example, I'd probably be considered a thoroughly B5-hating troll... there was something I didn't like in every episode. But it was the overall impression & feeling that mattered, and that's why I'm here, now.

The Drakh bit still looked fake though.
laugh.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
Originally posted by Kribu:
I could have lived without Trace... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. In Warzone Trace was a typical smiley hero who loves himself too much. He was better in Ruling from the Tomb tough!

Regards,
TheInfection

------------------
Things change... long time gone by.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>It's part of the well-known "Crusade Apocrypha". Most Straczynskian scholars agree that it was written by an impostor, considerably later than the actual canon, though a minority believes that it was written by JMS on a dare, to prove that he actually could write something that was truly crap and get his fans to rationalize it away.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO. Fantastic !!!

Having agreed with most of what has been written about War Zone, I have to say that I did like the scene where Gideon's Explorer ship (did it have a name?) came out of hyperspace and saw the carnage around earth for the first time. Quite poignant IMHO.

------------------
DaveC
"Let me be the first to say that this is the nuttiest idea you've ever had."

Back