• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Waiting on the rating

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Actually, one of the news items that came out of the TV Critic's shindig specified January 2nd. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JANUARY 2ND!!!!?????!!!!! That's my 25th birthday! (Also, it's the -761st anniversary of The Great Burn, but that's another story.) That would be an incredible birthday present.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I'm not sure that the "sheer number" of B5 fans is going to make Rangers that big a hit. Presumably most of us are watching the show every day, and it gets about 0.7. Sure there are some fans who have seen the whole thing three or four times and are "taking a break" from the show, and others for whom it is on at a bad time, but I'm not sure if there are enough of them to move Rangers into the thin ratings air occupied by Dune. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I very rarely watch B5 on SFC because I've seen it so many times, and because I don't have time to watch an hour of television every day (but I do apparently have time to post a lot of messages on this board
smile.gif
). I have something like 10 friends who are fans of B5 at some level, and I don't think any of them watches it on SFC regularly, but I'm pretty sure most (if not all) of them will watch TLaDiS, as long as I remind them when it's on. I realize that this is purely anecdotal evidence, but I don't know that I'd go so far as to assume that "most of us are watching the show every day".

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I'm hoping for a solid 1.2 to 1.5, something better than what most of their current series are getting, with the numbers building each quarter hour. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When Crusade aired on SFC, its best rating was a 1.1 for "Racing the Night". Since that was a rerun, I'm assuming that a brand new B5 TV movie will be able to beat that.

------------------

I don't think we should be trying to compare ratings of Dune with other shows like B5LR. Dune has been around for over 40 years and is know internationally by just about every scifi fan (except the very young
smile.gif
). I wouldn't be surprised if some people actually hooked up to the SFC just because it was on. I know a number of fans did that when TNT took on B5.

However I really think most B5 fans will tune in to anything B5 related, and there are bound to be some new fans if it is given some promotion. I would almost think the new fans would be more important to SFC than the old-timers in some ways because they can always count on the latter.

------------------

Is it possible that some people might not watch the Rangers series/movie because of its connection to B5? That is, people might feel intimidated by the fact they missed an entire series and won't want to start watching a show that they feel will start "from the middle."

Joe brought up the example of Law & Order on a previous post. I would think that those who didn't watch Law & Order wouldn't watch any of the spin-offs.

On the other hand, there are people like us who are drooling all over ourselves to see any new B5 stuff, so maybe it balances out.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>That is, people might feel intimidated by the fact they missed an entire series and won't want to start watching a show that they feel will start "from the middle."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was TNT's fear with Crusade, which is why they wanted to minimize the connection between the two shows (and removed the words "Babylon Project" from the title.) But I don't see the problem. I doubt anyone coming to any of the later Trek shows assumed they had to have watched all the others. (In fact, many TNG fans had never watched the original series, which wasn't available in syndication for years at a stretch.)

As for L&O - a lot of people who never watched the original may simply have liked a show that was on opposite it better. Those same people could be huge fans of Special Victims Unit. Similarly there are DS9 fans who really didn't like TNG and vice versa. (And fans of both who couldn't bring themselves to watch Voyager beyond the first dozen episodes.
smile.gif
)

If Sci-Fi markets the show the right way, this should not even be an issue.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back