• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Victory Prototypes in B5LR?

I was just re-reading the A Call to Arms novel in preparation for its airing tonight, and I noticed that Sheridan says that the plans for the new Victory-class destroyers came across his desk 3 years ago. Doesnt that more or less coincide with the time frame of the B5LR series? Maybe the Liandra will run work with early prototypes? I seem to remember something from a novel (To Dream in the City of Sorrows? Im not sure) where there were smaller, one-man/minbari White Star prototypes. Maybe there were smaller Victory Destroyer test-models. Any thoughts or flashes of enlightenment?

------------------
Religion is the opiate of the masses.
-Marx

Well, what we know from B5 is that Sheridan sent Delenn to Minbar to start the development of the Victory class in Movements of Fire and Shadow IIRC. As noted in the book, he gets the final designs around 2264, aproves them and sends them off to Garibaldi to start work on the prototypes. In A Call to Arms the two prototypes are finished.

If however we throw the unproduced Crusade script To the Ends of the Earth into the mix, things get a bit muddier. It has Gideon and Matheson discovering a blast signature that's more or less identical to the one produced by the Excalibur's main gun...

------------------
"Come out kittycat... I won't hurt you... much..." (hear it)
-- Blackarachnia, "The Spark", Beast Wars

drakh@spamcop.net

If Sheridan first saw the plans in 2263 or four, and it takes three more years to build the prototypes, it is unlikely that we'll see anything resembling a Victory-class ship in the Rangers movie, or the series, for that matter, until it reaches 2267.

There might be a small "technology demonstration" ship (or ships) to work out some of the design elements (which is exactly what the ships in To Dream... were - fighter-sized ships that didn't prefigure the White Star except in some of their technology.) But even that seems unlikely. They already have the White Star-class to base much of the later ships on. The rest is either based on proven Earthforce technology (deploying fighters and the like) or too big to work on in a smaller hull (the weapons, gravitic drive, etc.)

So I'm inclined to think that we'll see some ship designs that we haven't seen previously (just because a Rangers series would go more places and encounter more aliens than the previous shows), I don't think anything related to the advanced destroyers will be among them.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited January 17, 2002).]

Dammit Joe, there goes my Fanfic idea...

Anyway, doesnt that one ship in the Trailers look a hella-lot like a Victory?

------------------
Never start a fight, but ALWAYS finish it.

" The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate for the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise to the occasion. We can not escape history. We will be remembered, in spite of ourselves. The fiery trial through which we pass will light us down in honor or dishonor, to the last generation. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose our last best hope."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Anyway, doesnt that one ship in the Trailers look a hella-lot like a Victory?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which ship in which trailer? The only TV spot that I can recall a Victory-like ship appearing in was the very first promo from last fall - and that was the Victory.
smile.gif
The FX shots from Rangers weren't finished, and Sci-Fi didn't want to hold up the promos, so they ended up using footage from A Call to Arms for a couple of exterior shots.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cern:
Anyway, doesnt that one ship in the Trailers look a hella-lot like a Victory?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's the Enfalli. It's not as as long as a Victory but it looks similar, It also looks like the Minbari built it. If anyone can tell I edited this because I thought the Valen was the Enfalli. The Valen was the flying brick, my mistake, sorry about that.
wink.gif

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War is life and death is the only true peace."
war-demon@b5fan.b5lr.com

[This message has been edited by War-Demon (edited January 20, 2002).]

the victory itself bears a passing resemblence to the minbari tiniashi, so...

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

yeah, i'm talking about the big tri-winged ship thats rotating and on fire.

------------------
Never start a fight, but ALWAYS finish it.

" The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate for the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise to the occasion. We can not escape history. We will be remembered, in spite of ourselves. The fiery trial through which we pass will light us down in honor or dishonor, to the last generation. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose our last best hope."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Arrghman:
the victory itself bears a passing resemblence to the minbari tiniashi, so...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Victory class Destroyers are bigger than the Tinashi class War Frigates, they're longer too. The ship I'm talking about is the ship that we see shooting and later on fire in the trailer. It looks very similar to a Victory but it's shorter and more heavily armed, I want one.
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cern:
yeah, i'm talking about the big tri-winged ship thats rotating and on fire.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That be the one...
laugh.gif

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War is life and death is the only true peace."
war-demon@b5fan.b5lr.com

[This message has been edited by War-Demon (edited January 18, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
If however we throw the unproduced Crusade script To the Ends of the Earth into the mix, things get a bit muddier. It has Gideon and Matheson discovering a blast signature that's more or less identical to the one produced by the Excalibur's main gun...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think one of the scripts said that the previous time they had seen the ship it had a conventional gun.

Once the Excalibur gun had been developed manufacturing a third would not be difficult. The weapon would then have to be transported to the secret shipyard. Possibly using the same route as all the other human made parts.

Note : When I wrote this I said EARTH made parts. This makes me think - is Earth breaking the blockade?

------------------
Andrew Swallow

[This message has been edited by A_M_Swallow (edited January 18, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by War-Demon:
The Victory class Destroyers are bigger than the Tinashi class War Frigates, they're longer too. The ship I'm talking about is the ship that we see shooting and later on fire in the trailer. It looks very similar to a Victory but it's shorter and more heavily armed, I want one.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well yeah, but the victory class is clearly similar to the tinashi... long central area, three wings at 60 degrees to each other... its the same basic design, and its also very similar to the nail fighter (which is the same thing pointing the other direction)

so it just seems to be a basic minbari design principal, i would imagine because of the drive system used... and since the drives of the victory class are based of minbari designs, its no suprise they look similar

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

*cough*three*cough*
wink.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back