• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

VH-1's "I Love The 80's"

PillowRock

Regular
VH-1\'s \"I Love The 80\'s\"

So did anyone else watch any noticable amount of this? I ended up watching more of it than I would probably want to admit. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Yeah, they ignored almost all of the real news of the era while doing their overview of American pop culture, but .... A lot of it was actually kinda fun. By the time they got to 1989 it wasn't *as much* fun. O thin that that isn't quite long enough ago to have that same time capsule feel as the ones about the early 80's.

My one gripe was that they seemed to be targeting, pretty much exclusively, kids that were in elementary school in the early 80's. I mean, they spent a bunch of time on movies like Goonies and Back to the Future and Ferris Beuler's Day Off (which were very good movies) and TV shows like Punky Brewster and The Facts of Life, even Small Wonder /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif and The Care Bears /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif (none of which I ever watched). Meanwhile they completely ignored some absolutey *huge* (but not for kids) movies like Platoon, Amadeus, and Ghandi.

All of the Mr. and Ms. 198x's (as they picked them) were presented by Dice Clay, although they never showed anything about his act and why he was somewhat prominent in the 80's (at least while I was watching). Similarly, the "Hunks of 198x" presentations were made by Tracy Lords (now *always* "Tracy Elizabeth Lords"); and I *know* they never said anything about how she was famous in the 80's (although you do have to give her a ton of respect for the most successful crossover into "mainstream" acting that I have ever heard of, not to mention just plain getting her life together; the perception / prejudice obstacles that she faced must have been huge).

Re: VH-1\'s \"I Love The 80\'s\"

There was definitely no room for Platoon, Amadeus, and Ghandi on that show. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Similarly, the "Hunks of 198x" presentations were made by Tracy Lords (now *always* "Tracy Elizabeth Lords"); and I *know* they never said anything about how she was famous in the 80's ...

Yes, and she would be the one to judge, eh? I found myself having to change my perspective of what the word "hunk" actually means in regard to some of their choices. No offence to Bruce "The Scarecrow and Mrs King Hunk" Boxleitner.

I think I watched it almost every night it was on. I let out a large groan when they talked about "Small Wonder" cuz I watched a lil bit of that show. The 80's..what a time...

Yes, and she would be the one to judge, eh?

I was careful to say "present" and not "choose" or "judge", because my impression was that they (Clay, Lords, Ritchie, whichever metal rocker that was) were presenting choices made by the writers / producers.

I found myself having to change my perspective of what the word "hunk" actually means in regard to some of their choices

Oh, yeah. It became pretty clear at times that "hunk" or "babe" was defined by the level of press coverage someone got in particular year.

I didn't know anyone at the time who would have used the word "babe" to describe
Tipper "Please Don't Ban My Album Babe" Gore.
/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I've seen some here and there, fairly ammusing.

It is a bit more difficult to make a flippant joke about Platoon than it is to do one about He-Man's homoerotic content.

Oh and the reason the focus was on those who were young in the eighties is very few old folks homes show VH1.

There was one from a more British perspective repeated on the Beeb over Christmas.

There are plenty of flippant jokes that can be made about Platoon. Heck, Charlie Sheen has been in movies that made a bunch of them.

And how are we defining "old folks"? I'm not even sure taht you have be 30 yet for Platoon to be a much more direct personal memory than the Care Bears. Noone who is over about 25 now could ever have cared about comparing the relative merits of the Care Bears, the Smurfs, and the Cabbage Patch Kids.

MTV has always been the one that aimed perpetually at the college age and younger crowd. VH-1 was created as a more "adult friendly" companion. From what I have seen on the channels, it would appear that is still the relationship between the two.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back