• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Vanilla Sky

AntonyF

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed Mighty said he saw Vanilla Sky in the DVDs thread. I saw that a few days ago.

What did everyone who's seen it think of it?

I'm not sure really. :D

I noticed Mighty said he saw Vanilla Sky in the DVDs thread. I saw that a few days ago.

What did everyone who's seen it think of it?

I'm not sure really. :D

I liked it. I had no idea what the movie was about going in, so it was a total surprise. Cruise's acting was very good, Cruz's acting... er, not.

Weird movie, though.

TECH SUPPORT!!

I liked it. I had no idea what the movie was about going in, so it was a total surprise. Cruise's acting was very good, Cruz's acting... er, not.

Weird movie, though.

TECH SUPPORT!!

I felt it was a mixed bag.

Positives:
The high concept story was pretty cool, but the credit goes to the movie that this is a remake of.
Cameron Diaz' performance was the 2nd best I've ever seen (after Being John Malcovich), proving that despite the mostly garbage flicks she does, she's pretty talented.

Negatives:
First off, let me say that I hate Cameron Crowe's directing. I think he's pompous, full of himself, and ultimately wasteful. I know he has his fans, so I'm obviously coming from a different point of view.
There's something about his movies that cry "Look how great I am!" but without merit. I haven't seen Say Anything, but Almost Famous was just dull, egoistic, and pointless IMO. Vanilla Sky was more interesting due to the story.

Though I haven't see the original, Vanilla Sky just feels like a mildly entertaining but useless remake.

I felt it was a mixed bag.

Positives:
The high concept story was pretty cool, but the credit goes to the movie that this is a remake of.
Cameron Diaz' performance was the 2nd best I've ever seen (after Being John Malcovich), proving that despite the mostly garbage flicks she does, she's pretty talented.

Negatives:
First off, let me say that I hate Cameron Crowe's directing. I think he's pompous, full of himself, and ultimately wasteful. I know he has his fans, so I'm obviously coming from a different point of view.
There's something about his movies that cry "Look how great I am!" but without merit. I haven't seen Say Anything, but Almost Famous was just dull, egoistic, and pointless IMO. Vanilla Sky was more interesting due to the story.

Though I haven't see the original, Vanilla Sky just feels like a mildly entertaining but useless remake.

I'm mixed about this one. It's not that I didn't understand what was going on or anything. It's just that when I walked out of the theater, my main reaction was "What the fuck?"

I'm mixed about this one. It's not that I didn't understand what was going on or anything. It's just that when I walked out of the theater, my main reaction was "What the fuck?"

"What the fuck?"
Actually, this was kind of interesting, because about halfway through watching it, my friend leans over to me in the theatre and says "Why didn't they just call it mindfuck?"

I didn't like it at all. It dragged on for too long, and the ending was...painful...to say the least.

Note: From here on out my comments contain spoilers, you have been warned.

Several things REALLY bothered me. For example, if Jason Lee was Tom Cruise's "best friend" and according to the film "always stood by him", why did he leave Tom Cruise passed out drunk on a street corner in the middle of NYC?

And was "killing himself" even if he wouldn't really "die" in character for Tom Cruise at all? Remember, this is the guy who supposedly fought to retain his business to the bloody end, and then we see him swallow pills, take the easy way out?

And jumping off the skyscraper at the end, how was that necessary in any way shape or form? We never see a real "fear of heights" developed in the film, and the metaphor of "taking the big plunge" gets, as Londo so eloquently puts it "A little thick..."

In the end, however, I blame the advertising. The reviews all said "An errotic thriller..." so I walked into the theatre expecting "Eyes Wide Shut", except with Cameron Diaz instead of Nicole Kidman. I was then handed a large reel of film that stated "I can do an art film! I swear! No really, I'm serious. Look, I know what art is and I can do it! Oh yeah, well suck it!" signed, Cameron Crowe.

"What the fuck?"
Actually, this was kind of interesting, because about halfway through watching it, my friend leans over to me in the theatre and says "Why didn't they just call it mindfuck?"

I didn't like it at all. It dragged on for too long, and the ending was...painful...to say the least.

Note: From here on out my comments contain spoilers, you have been warned.

Several things REALLY bothered me. For example, if Jason Lee was Tom Cruise's "best friend" and according to the film "always stood by him", why did he leave Tom Cruise passed out drunk on a street corner in the middle of NYC?

And was "killing himself" even if he wouldn't really "die" in character for Tom Cruise at all? Remember, this is the guy who supposedly fought to retain his business to the bloody end, and then we see him swallow pills, take the easy way out?

And jumping off the skyscraper at the end, how was that necessary in any way shape or form? We never see a real "fear of heights" developed in the film, and the metaphor of "taking the big plunge" gets, as Londo so eloquently puts it "A little thick..."

In the end, however, I blame the advertising. The reviews all said "An errotic thriller..." so I walked into the theatre expecting "Eyes Wide Shut", except with Cameron Diaz instead of Nicole Kidman. I was then handed a large reel of film that stated "I can do an art film! I swear! No really, I'm serious. Look, I know what art is and I can do it! Oh yeah, well suck it!" signed, Cameron Crowe.

It's a remake of the 1997 Spanish movie "Open Your Eyes". I haven't seen Vanilla Sky, but I have seen Open Your Eyes, and I loved it. From talking to people and reading reactions on the web, I gather that many who've seen Vanilla Sky but not Open Your Eyes think highly of VS. But most of those who've seen both tend to regard VS as a cheap Hollywood remake.

Btw, I believe Penelope Cruz plays the same role in both movies. Very weird.

It's a remake of the 1997 Spanish movie "Open Your Eyes". I haven't seen Vanilla Sky, but I have seen Open Your Eyes, and I loved it. From talking to people and reading reactions on the web, I gather that many who've seen Vanilla Sky but not Open Your Eyes think highly of VS. But most of those who've seen both tend to regard VS as a cheap Hollywood remake.

Btw, I believe Penelope Cruz plays the same role in both movies. Very weird.

I saw it with my girlfriend and a good mate, both of whom have no interest in science fiction at all, but do have interest in Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz (respectively). i had to spend about half an hour explaining what was going on afterwards, it totally did their heads in.

One thing puzzles me, I seem to remember Solsbury Hill being played at the end of the film, but my g/f disagrees. Even more infuriating is that if it was played in the flying bit at the end, then there is no mention of it opn the soundtrack.

I think Vanilla Sky was the first mainstream film post 9/11 to show the presence of the twin towers (in background shots at the end), something that would normally of course be completely missed, but due to real world events... it seemed your eyes were drawn heavily towards them.

I remember Solsburry Hill being played while Cruise was romancing the other Cruze.

I think it's also during that montage that there's a shot of the two of them walking down the street in chilly weather. The image is modeled after the cover of Bob Dylan's 2nd album (and first masterpiece), The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan.

This is the sort of thing I actually don't like about Cameron Crowe. Yeah, this stuff is kind of cool on its own, but what relevance do they have to the film? It just feels so much like he's showing off instead of making a freakin' movie.

During the romantic scenes with Solsburry Hill, I ended up paying more attention to the song than the movie. This is why it takes a very skilled director to know how to use pop music as a score.

Btw, I love that song. :) I'm going to see Gabriel live in a couple of weeks.

Back