• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

To Lyta (Monica)

I took the Rangers pictures to AgamemCon, & Peter Jurasik saw them. He said, "God bless them, I hope they get six years". He meant that he hopes the series (if it happens) stays on the air for six years. He also commented about how young the cast looks.

Tammy

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gkarfan:

I took the Rangers pictures to AgamemCon, & Peter Jurasik saw them. He said, "God bless them, I hope they get six years". He meant that he hopes the series (if it happens) stays on the air for six years. He also commented about how young the cast looks.

Tammy
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Tammy! I am still trying to catch up on all my email and board reading while I was away on vacation so I am glad this subject caught my attention. I am pleased that my pictures were put to good use and that people enjoyed them.

I too hope that the Rangers movie turns into a long lived series and I can't wait until the movie comes out.
smile.gif

PS: I would have loved to meet Peter!

------------------
Monica Hübinette | http://monica.hubbe.net/ | http://abyss.hubbe.net/b5/

Find what excites you, and do it. Follow your joy; the rest will take care of itself.
--J. Michael Straczynski--

I have noticed that the survey to the left also asks us to judge if the Rangers cast is too young, the Captain in particular. I admit, since promotion comes with duty, I too find him a bit young-looking. I hope they do address, at least slightly, how he could advance in rank so quickly! But it is possible.

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

Well the Rangers have not been exactly sedintary and one thing about war is that promotion can come much quicker for those who manage to stay alive.

------------------
Bus
"Authorities say the phony pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and increadibly foul mouth." Kent Brockman

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I hope they do address, at least slightly, how he could advance in rank so quickly! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt JMS would miss something so obvious. After all, that was the genesis of his "No Cute Kids or Robots" rule. He disliked the idea that The Kid would be the one to "Save the day". It goes against common sense, no matter how "Smart" you want to claim the Kid is.

Smart doesn't help in situations where the Deciding factors are Training and Experience and JMS knows this. So, if the boss has moved up the ladder too fast, it Will be explained at some point.

Maybe not in the Movie. JMS may hold it back for the Series. Depends on how Big a part of the story it is.
wink.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I admit, since promotion comes with duty, I too find him a bit young-looking. I hope they do address, at least slightly, how he could advance in rank so quickly! But it is possible. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He may look young. But Look at Captain Sheridan, according to the history and and numbers added up, he couldnt have been over the age of 30 when he was already Commander and XO of a ship during the Minbari War. Which after that he became a Full Earth Alliance Captain. Him and Delenn couldnt have been over 40 or 45 years old when he came to Babylon 5. And he came aboard about a year or 2 after it was opened so this is about 10-12 years after the Minbari War. How many men you know who made Captain probably before the age of 30 years old. Rangers are said not to retreat from any battle, to go ahead and face death because they are not suppose to be affriad of death. He might have become a ships captain because 1, he survived during the Shadow War and might have tooken a mission that the chances of survival were small. I believe retreating from a battle you know you will loose is wise, no matter the honor you might be hurting. It saves your crews lives, saves people from being hurt by loosing there loved ones, saves money on the ship that could be lost and could save an alien enemy getting ahold of the technology of the Minbari and Vorlons. He may be young but according to today's activities, we have teenagers with a genuis IQ. Consider that.. :)

------------------

Remember the Commander of the Whitestar Sheridan sent on the suicide mission to draw the Shadows to Corianna 6? He looked in his mid 30's. This fits with the timing, the Rangers had to replace many people after the Shadow war. I would think that if the Commander was more experienced and decorated, his withdrawing from battle would be looked upon lighter. Being a newer Commander, his case was treated harshly, as an example to other young officers.

Also, I believe Ranger Trining Instructors seek the skills of a trainee, I would imagion that if one is a born Commander, he would be trained as a Commander. A great Gunner would always be a Gunner, a great Pilot would remain a Pilot. A born Recruiter would always recruit, (we saw an episode where a Minbari was made a Recruiter instead of a Fighter Pilot,).

I think his age is moot, its his skills, abilities, instincts, and reaction to the Ranger Training.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> But Look at Captain Sheridan, according to the history and and numbers added up, he couldnt have been over the age of 30 when he was already Commander and XO of a ship during the Minbari War. Which after that he became a Full Earth Alliance Captain. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sheridan had TWO advantages when it came to promotion: The war would have opened up the top ranks. They promote people to fill the vacancies left by the ones who Die. Plus, they expand the Numbers of people serving which also results in lots of promotions. Somebody has to tell all the newbies which is the Left Foot.
tongue.gif

His sceond advantage, he had a history of trying to avoid: His father was a high ranking diplomat. People kept trying to do Sheridan "Favors" in hopes of getting favors in return from his father. There is a scene in "In the Beginning" where Sheridan specifically turns down one of these "Favors" even though it would get him a much better chance at early promotion.

It would have also put him in a position to have helped Avoid the Earth Minbari War, but he had no way of knowing that particular loose cannon of a Captain would need someone to keep him from being an idiot.

Sheridan turned the job down, in part Because the captain in question had a history of screwing up. Mostly because he Liked the captain he was already with.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

A little off topic but I do have the birthdays of the various B5 actors - so you can see what their age was when B5 was filmed:

John Sheridan - 1950
Michael Garibald - 1956
Delenn - 1955
Stephen - 1961
Vir - 1955
Lennier - 1954
Londo - 1950
Zack 1950
Lyta - 1957
G'Kar - wasn't listed

crazy.gif

------------------
God be between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk.

Back