• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

TMOS in SFX magazine....

TMOS got first page news in this month's SFX magazine, with a big picture of Tracey Scroggins!

I don't have the article to hand, but can briefly remember the details:

They said the movie was go, to film this year with the director we already know.

They hyped up the British connection, saying they had spoken to a leading UK effect firm who had been asked to bid for the movie.

Other than this, there was nothing new.

They also mentioned the recasting issue, saying some fans were worried about old roles being recast. They noted that Peter Woodwood might well be unavialable for recasting.

Most of the info seemed to have come from the leaked casting report, hence the picture of Tracy. This is SFX, who are great at getting it wrong, so take a big salty pinch of salt with this one. We know that that report might be dubious...

B5 got a lot of focus in the issue, mainly due to the R2 DVD relases this month... they still gave S5 three stars though :rolleyes:

In other news, Claudia Black said she was in the UK arranging a couple of roles... coincidnence??

I still want to frell Claudia quite a lot. :D

Sidenote:

Is this the same SFX Magazine with whom JMS, according to his longtime online signature ("permission to reprint specifically denied")... has poultry to pluck?

Sidenote:

Is this the same SFX Magazine with whom JMS, according to his longtime online signature ("permission to reprint specifically denied")... has poultry to pluck?
Yes.

Babylon 5 got a write up in TV Zone, they sourced their information as Variety and Production Weekly.

It was some kind controversy about a hand gesture that JMS made to a fan, which SFX then had a field day with.

IIRC, they massively messed up on reporting details of a big screen showing of In the Begininng years ago. There was a lot of drama, and they trusted some duboius soruces over the word of JMS. He got pissed, predictably and understnadably.

The mag has gone seriously downhill in the past few years, i considering cancelling my subs...

(apologies for typo's, can't be bothered today...)

Bear in mind that the lead time for a print magazine is often fairly lengthy, so I would imagine anything on TMoS appearing in current mags would have been written at least a week or two ago - if not before Christmas around the time rumours of the re-casting issue first raised their heads.

At this point a print magazine is unlikely to come up with anything that is new to those following the web stories, unless they had been given access to genuine inside information not available anywhere else.

And, I wouldn't have thought Claudia Black fitted the criteria of a "name" actor any more than the original cast of B5 - although it would be good to see her in a B5 movie as a new character.

:D

I'd take that entire article with a grain of salt given their track record.

However, I *am* encouraged that they mentioned that fans were worried about original characters being re-cast. Even if they did just copy/paste that casting websites rumor, the fact they added in fan concern (which is of course very true) can only help...

They hyped up the British connection, saying they had spoken to a leading UK effect firm who had been asked to bid for the movie.
Do you remember what firm?

Was not mentioned, they said it was a UK based company with where they had a contact inside. There at least 15 effects companies in Soho alone, so that really was not too much of a clue...

Sidenote:

That's them. And it wasn't just a single incident that created the problem, but rather a series of things, mostly involving the mag's coverage rather than the underlying events themselves. Fan Paul Harper put together a very good summary of the whole affair for the moderated newsgroup about six years ago, and I keep the URL handy for when the question (inevitably) comes up.

Regards,

Joe

Back