• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Theatrical Score?

rangerPHIL

Beyond the rim
Assuming B5 has got the go ahead and we really are going to get a cinematic movie I would like to see Warners give the Composing Gig to Chris Franke. His music is as much a part of B5 as the actors themselves.

Also I think the full version of 'REQUIEM FOR THE LINE' ( BEST LISTENED TO EXTREMELY LOUD!! ) would make a wonderful opening theme.

I would be interested to hear what you all think!

:D

Chris Franke HAS to be a score composer. I wouldn't enjoy the movie in any other way. Secondly, extended versions of B5:ItF Battle Sequences wipe the floor with the requiem of the line :p.

I'll have to check the IMDb, but I think he's done movie scores before, or at least his old group did, wasn't that Tangerine Dream?

I just checked Franke's credits on the IMDb, and he's done quite a lot of film scores, going back to the 70's, when you include Tangerine Dream. Some of the better known old titles: Sorcerer, Risky Business, Firestarter... With that many credits, I don't see how a producer, or studio, could object to him composing the score! Link:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006081/

okies - re : Requiem.

The version I have is like a cross between MIND WAR and GEOMETRY OF SHADOWS. But this version is highly orchestrated.

Trust me it does sound amazing LOUD. I can't see why it wouldnt in the cinema in Dolby Digital ( anyone who has any doubts as to whether Frankes Music would not transfer to the cinema - remember Z'ha'dum ( CD Volume 2 ) with its highly orchestrated theme ( the fall of the Narn Fleet / the bombing of the Narn homeworld ).)

If you gave Chris a huge orchestra just imagine what he could do with it.

I agree totally - Babylon 5 wouldn't be the same without his music. Some of the most moving scenes were made complete by the music (especially Season 3 onwards). Would there have so many tears in SiL if the music wasn't there? I don't think so.

Not sure if I know exactly which one 'REQUIEM FOR THE LINE' is though!

Would there have so many tears in SiL if the music wasn't there? I don't think so.
Agrre 100%. Franke's music is just JMS's core concept transmitted straight to the heart. JMS himself noted that the emotional impact was there in SiL once the music was added, even though the special effects weren't added for almost another year.

If Chris doesn't do the score it isn't really B5, it's just B5-like.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: next to JMS himself, the only other person I can see clearly making the move to the theatrical world of B5 is Franke.

I don't know if he would do the orchestrations or conducting himself, but the composing...most definately.

I can see Chris Franke composing. And either..

1. A Huge orchestra performing it ( perhaps London Symphony or another huge orchestra )

2. Going Synth Only - look at Blade Runner ( One of the best soundtracks of al time )

I can see Chris Franke composing. And either..

1. A Huge orchestra performing it ( perhaps London Symphony or another huge orchestra )

2. Going Synth Only - look at Blade Runner ( One of the best soundtracks of al time )

I feel that if JMS and WB want to take B5 to the next level, the epic level (which something inside tells me JMS wants to do), then the orchestral score will be the way to go. Too many (though not me a lot of the time) see synth as cheap. And synth when not done correctly (as in the opposite of Blade Runner) is and does sound cheap and cheesy.

Also, remember that BR's score was done when synth scores were "in." Orchestral is now "in" especially after such films as the LOTR trilogy. They add a certain weight and power that I don't feel synth as yet acheived.

While I would like Franke to compose...I certainly hope he composes for a full orchestra.

CE

I consider it essential for Franke to compose the score. It would not be real B5 without him.

I would consider a combined orchestral and synth soundtrack optimal. This would be similar to what was featured on the show but the orchestral portion should be greater in a feature film. The Berlin symphony orchestra, the same Franke used for the show, should be used again and fittingly so considering the heavy Wagner-esque elements of the B5 score.

Not just for a full orchestra, but for chorus, too. The choral bits in SD were maybe the best bits of the whole score.

Not just for a full orchestra, but for chorus, too. The choral bits in SD were maybe the best bits of the whole score.

Indeed. This is one of my favourite eps, and some of the most heart wrenching scenes (for me anyway) were those with the chorus sound (such as when the EA troops breech the station, and when the Churchill rams the other destroyer).

Obviously, it's not just the sound that makes the scenes, since they would be good anyway, but Frankes music just adds so much more power & emotion!

Indeed. This is one of my favourite eps, and some of the most heart wrenching scenes (for me anyway) were those with the chorus sound (such as when the EA troops breech the station, and when the Churchill rams the other destroyer).

Obviously, it's not just the sound that makes the scenes, since they would be good anyway, but Frankes music just adds so much more power & emotion!

Agreed! I got chills just thinking of those scenes...two of my favorites as well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back