• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The time I met Sheridan, Anna, and Garibaldi

I remember ten years ago, back in May of 1997.....We drove from Memphis down to Florida to see a night Space Shuttle launch right after my senior graduation. I was standing out there in the dark when this guy walked by me and said 'heyhowsitgoin'. It was none other than Jerry Doyle. I freaked out and told him how much of a fan I was.

He said, "Hold on a minute, I'll be right back" . I figured I had scared the crap out of him or something. A few minutes later he came back with Bruce B. and Melissa Gilbert. We had a nice chat for a few minutes. They signed autos for me and posed for some awesome pictures. Really nice people, and were really cool to a dorky kid from Mississippi.

Seeing them really eclipsed the shuttle launch's coolness factor!

To be a bit of an organizational-butt, but this has to do with B5 "episodes, characters, production etc." how?

To be a bit of an organizational-butt, but this has to do with B5 "episodes, characters, production etc." how?

I dunno....they all played characters on the show? Sheesh. Cut my balls off whydoncha. Or delete it since I am too retarded to post on the proper place.

Last edited:
I dunno....they all played characters on the show? Sheesh. Cut my balls off whydoncha. Or delete it since I am too retarded to post on the proper place.

No reason to get upset with VL, he's just doing his job, and he was pretty polite about it, I've seen mods be much less polite than VL was in this case. B5 personnel would be the more appropriate place for items concerning B5 personnel, but, not specifically about the show.

Very cool story, hal the tool! I've encountered many of the actors in convention settings but not in real life situations.

Jan

No reason to get upset with VL, he's just doing his job, and he was pretty polite about it, I've seen mods be much less polite than VL was in this case. B5 personnel would be the more appropriate place for items concerning B5 personnel, but, not specifically about the show.

I'm not upset. I'm just goofy.:eek:

Hi, hal!

Very, very cool story; :eek: :D I'm never sure where to put stuff, either!

I'd love to hear more about what you actually talked about, but to kind if keep things square, maybe somebody could move this some place the topic would be better suited and be easier to find... :D and then talk about it some more???

Hmmm. Comment here:

is the nicest way to greet a new poster to jump down his throat screaming "YOU POSTED THIS SUBJECT IN THE WRONG FORUM!!!!"?

Why not just tell him where it should have been, and PM someone who can move the topic?

Let's try to remember we're all fans here. :)

And what a great fan story. :D And what a sweet thing for Doyle to do. :)

Great story. I've heard Doyle get a bad rap a lot of times due to his tendency to speak before thinking, but at the heart I've always felt he was a good guy, if somewhat abrasive. But whaddya expect from a guy who worked as a stockbroker during the Gordon Gekko days? What I also like is that it shows a bit of self-efficacy from Doyle - sort of like, if you think I'm exciting wait til you see this.

hypatia said:
Hmmm. Comment here:

is the nicest way to greet a new poster to jump down his throat screaming "YOU POSTED THIS SUBJECT IN THE WRONG FORUM!!!!"?

Except I didn't do that at all, did I, hypatia? No, I invited him/her to find an explanation about how this thread fit the forum's topic guidelines.

Last edited:
So, PM a moderator and ask them to move it.

It certainly read as a sarcastic comment to me. But you know, whatever. If that's the first impression you want to make, go for it.

Yeah, VL, the way you asked that question came across to me as, "I dare you to try and find a connection, because I know you can't."

That probably wasn't the message you intended to send... but it is the message that was received.

I'm not upset. I'm just goofy.:eek:

Ah, that would explain the nickname. :) Welcome aboard, hal.

(I'm hoping they call you that because you're a carpenter or a mechanic of some kind. :D)

And the rest of you - play nice! Do you think I volunteered to moderate this board because I actually wanted to moderate stuff? :) This is supposed to be a nice, quiet board where the biggest controversy is "Sheridan vs. Sinclair" or "What were Londo's 3 chances?" If I wanted to break-up bar fights I would have picked politics or Babbelon or something.

I do agree that this thread is better suited to "B5 Personnel" (and besides, once it is moved there, it is off my plate :)) and I shall move it shortly. But that could have been better accomplished by a private message calling my attention to the thread than by directly correcting the new member within it.

Now keep it down, I'm trying to take a nap over here. :D

Regards,

Joe

And again, I wasn't "directly correcting" anything; I did not crash down some hammer of judgement and declare the thread unfit. I actively was trying to see if there was some reasoning that eluded me as to how this fit because I wouldn't have been surprised if there was a thoughtful reason behind it. (And yes, I was sarcastic; I'm nearly always sarcastic; this is not a new revelation about me.)

KoshFan said:
Perhaps it's a new revelation to someone new to the boards.

Well, reading over all the posts in the thread, based on the words everyone has posted, hal the tool is less uspet over it than others (and in fact hal the tool said he wasn't upset). So it's sounding like several well-known posters having more of an issue over it than anyone new to the board.

I saw Jerry Doyle in the flesh once at a signing in London.. Wish my story was as good as yours, I think I just mumbled something incoherent and got his autograph (all I really remember is that he looked about 3 times bigger in real life than he did on TV). I got Mira Furlan's too :)

It sounds like Jerry is a bit more laid back than some of the Star Trek stars. I had heard some very nice things about him from fans, but I admit, this story definitely tops the list. :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back