• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Shadow Without

gethigh

I just finished reading The Shadow Within, and I thought it really gave insights into Sheridan, Anna, and Morden. The love stone was especially important to Morden and when Anna made it into a necklace it is said that he wore it always from then on. So it got me to loading up my Season 1 DVD's. I saw Chrysalis again and Morden in fact had a necklace with a stone attached.......I checked back to Signs and Portents, and there too he had a necklace with a stone. The question I have on my mind now is did JMS actually plan this necklace deal or did Wasser just came to the set and started wearing it, or did the book inspire this (I don't know which came first: Morden or the book LOL /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif).

The books didn't start appearing until the show had been on the air for awhile, and Shadow was among the last published. So Morden had been established as a character on-screen long before Cavelos wrote the book.

While actors could and did bring things of their own to the characters (witness Walter Koenig and Bester's hand) they didn't bring props or costume items. Unless Wasser was wearing such a gem and touching it during his audition it is unlikely that he had anything to do with Morden wearing one. (Even then he only would have inspired JMS to write it into the character, and not been directly involved in having Morden wear it or in establishing the reason he did.)

JMS had worked Morden's backstory out fairly thoroughly before introducing the character, so I would assume that the gem always had something to do with his wife and daughter, but the specifics changed when Sheridan was created and Anna introduced into the story. Cavelos was one of the few writers of the Dell books who a) had the chance to see many of the episodes and b) ask JMS plot questions via e-mail as she was writing. This is one of the reasons Shadow is considered canon. The people who wrote the earlier novels often lived in cities that didn't even carry the show, could not get videotapes and had no direct contact with JMS.

It is also possible that JMS wrote Morden's gem into the story with only a vague idea of what it was, and that Cavelos picked up on it from watching the episodes and decided to use it in the book. In that case she probably asked JMS what it was and he either came up with an answer or told her to take a stab at it. If that was the case he must have accepted her explanation, since it is in the finished book, which he saw prior to publication.

Regards,

Joe

Thanks for the insight Joe D. I guess paying attention to detail really helps in making a good story. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Joe,

I remember reading a "JMS Speaks" on the Lurkers Guide somewhere, where they asked JMS if Morden's stone had any significance, and JMS replied "It may have its uses."

Lead me to believe that he did have some thought about it.

Cavelos did a lot of fleshing out of Morden in both "The Shdaow Within" and "The Passing of the Techno-mages". In both books she recounts the loss of his family and refers to the stone. She also provides conflicting or complimentary reasons for his undying loyalty to the Shadows (how they "released" his family from pain, and the mysterious implant in his brain stem). Even his constant smile was described as a way of shielding the pain of loss from prying eyes, after his breakdown at the transport terminal.

I seem to recall early speculation that it was a piece of Shadowtech that Morden had for whatever reason. The CCG (which sometimes was very on the ball, sometimes not) seemed to agree with that idea so I guess that idea was being bounced around. However, I do like Cavelos' explanation as it adds depth to Morden's character.

I read an interview that Wasser did in an issue of TV Zone i think, where he said he did bring the jewel in himself. I have it buried deep in my bed drawer somewhere.

Some old JMS posts on this matter...

Apr.8.1996
<font color="orange"> Morden wearing a crystal was Ed Wasser's idea and not yours, will the crystal have any importance to the character in the future?

Nope.</font color>

Apr.17.1996
<font color="orange">Since it's been established that some species use crystals as part of their technology for data storage as well as other things, is this pendant some sort of Shadow technology or does it have some other sort of significance in his relationship to the Shadows?

It may have its uses.</font color>

Apr.17.1996
<font color="orange">I'm not quite sure how Joe will answer this, but if you read the Ed Wasser Newsletter, he says that the chrystal was something he picked up in an antique shop, he thought it would be cool to wear for his part, and had to pursuade Joe to let him use it on the show. Taking these things into consideration, the chrystal is probably nothing more than a chrystal.

Correct. But since it's there, at some point I may as well use it for something. Waste not, want not.</font color>

Sounds like it wasn't JMS' idea to have the necklace mean something originally and that Ed convinced him to have it become part of his character. I also seem to remember that Cavelos might have mentioned that she had created the backstory regarding the stone but cannot find anything to back it up. Maybe someone else has it handy. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If Cavelos did come up with the backstory for the pendent and thus Morden (and JMS and Wasser didn't later come up with the idea after the posts Lyta just mentioned), I wonder what Wasser thought of Cavelos' concept for the necklace. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't what Wasser thought but I do think Cavelos did an excellent job of using the stone to shed light on Morden's character, who's not all that "evil" after all.

And thanks for all the extra info Lyta et. al.

I believe JMS picked up on the gem-story created by Cavelos. In Into The Fire, Londo blows up the island where the Shadow vessels are stationed. As a reaction, Morden screems 'No!', and touches his necklace. You can see the meaning of it in his facial expression. It all fits perfectly.

here's why I think this is a possible theorie:
The edition of The Shadow Within I own was printed in april 1997. The episode Into The Fire aired on februari 1997 (see Lurkers Guide). This means they were written (or produced) basically at the same time.
So when JMS read Cavelos novel to approve it, he must have decided for Morden to react properly in the upcoming episode.

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I'm just starting Shadow Within and I'm confused. The publication date on this book says 1997. I thought it just came out? Or is this a re-publish?

-The perpetually confused Elf

Can you (or someone else) tell me which books are canon and which isn't?
As far as I know, in addition to 'The Shadow Within', only 'To Dream in the City of Sorrows' as far as the nine original novels go. And then the three trilogies (Psi-Corps, Centauri, Technomage) are considered canon as well.

i honestly believe its the weakest of all the cnanonical books. not that it completely sucked of course, i really liked the characters of Anna Sheridan and Morden. But, i dont know, i was extremelly dissapointed.

i mean, the shadows using an EGG? some crazy serial killer telepath onboard? Delenn, the one who feels guilty for th EM war saying another expedition to Z´Ha´Dum will be considered an act of war? And why does Sinclair trust Delenn in the series, if, for all he knows, she could be responsaible for the death of the 134 onboard the Icarus?

I guess i had too high expectations for this book, since i read the excellent technomage trilogy first.

damn, i want new books. i hope JMS decides to make a novelization of the series in five volumes.... it would translate, as he says in the commentary.

Just different perspectives I think.

I thought the book was good. I've read all 9 and the Techno Mage series, the centauri series and the psi corps series.

My Rating (Top 4 are all close)
1. Techno Mage
2. Centauri
3. City of Sorrows
4. Shadow

The rest was, in my view, not on the level of the top 4.

I actually found it more enjoyable than the Technomage trilogy... the writing style was better IMHO, not so much repetition of certain phrases and actions (Galen calling the fire upon him, the overuse - IMHO - of the phrase "in his mind's eye" etc). I was worried I wouldn't really like the book, since I wasn't all that fond of any of the established characters in it, but I was glad to see I was wrong.

Still, I found the Psi-Corps books the best written so far. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif And the Centauri trilogy was more interesting, too... probably because it was about stuff that I really wanted to read about.

Still, I found the Psi-Corps books the best written so far. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

glad to see someone agrees with me, most people think Bester´s trilogy is the weakest one. i personally believe its the best of the bunch, it makes Bester a sympathetic character in a realistic way, adding layers to the bad guy we saw in the show. The first book is a little hard to follow, but great anyways. The third book is IMO the best b5 book ever, and which ultimately turned Bester into one of my 4 favourite characters in the show. The moment Bester realizes Louise would have followed him anywhere actually made me cry, and that doesnt happen to me usually (IIRC, the only eps in the show that had a similar effect were Fall of Centauri Prime and Sleeping in the Light). brilliant. i loved the ending, the death of sheridan and the part in which Bester sees himself as a baby in the statue.

btw, whatever happened to his memories? that´s something i would pay anything to read.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back