• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

the raiders?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

is there any information about the raiders out there? maybe some books about them (i havent heard of any) or anything like that. i've always been kinda curious about them
lol.gif

------------------

I'm not sure which raiders you are talking about. To answer your question I can't remember coming across the raiders in any of the books, and I have read them all.

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

If you are talking about the run of the mill pirate raiders, Agent of Gaming ccreated a source book thing for their babylon 5 wars game. That's all I can think of.

------------------
Sheridan:Are you sure we can't jump
Lennier:positive
Sheridan:Then we have a problem
Lennier:No $h!t Sherlock
Sheridan:RUN FOR IT!!!!
Downbelow Sound Archive

I think "raiders" is a generic term covering all sorts of pirates in space. There may be organized groups of raiders; but I think there's more than one group.

It does seem like a whole lot of them prefer those little black ships though -- so they must have some significant amount of money to go out in a uniform fleet.

Were I trying to find them, I'd try to capture one of those little black ships, find out who, where, and when it was made, and act accordingly. Obviously, I'd also question anyone in the little black ship.

They do look a little like the Techno-Mage ships, don't they...

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

[This message has been edited by Mondo Londo (edited February 02, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mondo Londo:
I think "raiders" is a generic term covering all sorts of pirates in space. There may be organized groups of raiders; but I think there's more than one group.

It does seem like a whole lot of them prefer those little black ships though

They do look a little like the Techno-Mage ships, don't they...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Little "black" ships?
crazy.gif
You mean little delta-wing, flat, flying-wing, mustard-yellowish ships, right?

The Technomage ships are jet black and have a vertical fin. Engine placement is also different.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

The reason the Raiders "prefer" that particular ship is simple: It's the "Volkswagen" of fighter craft.

There are plenty of races which make their money selling Weapons & Ships to anyone who has Cash.
The various Raider groups buy their ships from whoever has the Lowest price.
After all, when you're attacking an unarmed (or Lightly armed) merchant ship, you don't need the Best weapons system, just something Better or More Numerous than the merchant can handle.
Since the raiders attack in swarms of individual fighters, they can quickly overcome the one or two guns a merchant can afford to mount.

And, as you might probably suspect, the Raiders will probably SELL the goods they steal on the same planet where they bought their fighters.

Just like a Mugger in any big city probably buys his gun in the same neighborhood where he sells whatever jewelry or credit cards he steals.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

i just read that the Volkswagen
lol.gif
yellowish ships the raiders use were once narn ships, but the Regime got rid of them along time ago. maybe they got alot of thier weapons from the Narns, seeing as the Narns sold alot of weaponary.
tongue.gif

------------------

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>According to "Midnight on the Firing Line" what you just said is true </font></td></tr></table>

However fanfic dictates that they are produced by the Belt Alliance Mining Guild. So you decide what you want to believe.

------------------
Sheridan:Are you sure we can't jump
Lennier:positive
Sheridan:Then we have a problem
Lennier:No $h!t Sherlock
Sheridan:RUN FOR IT!!!!
Downbelow Sound Archive

Even if the Narns did sell them the fighters it does not mean that they were the original source. The Narns could have bought them when they first freed their world untill they could build their own. However, I think it could be one of two other options.

A) The Narns were just the dealers/resellers.

B) The Narns sold the raiders upgrades to the fighters such as better weapons and tactical systems.

I tend to think that its B) because I think that Garabaldi in that eipsode mentioned that the damage from the raiders seemed a lot more sever than usual.

I was only able to find two links about the fighters themselves:
http://www.b5tech.com/miscracesgroups/raiderfighter/raiderfighter.html
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/babylon/models.php?Page=3

Both say that they originated from earth to support the belt aliance and the reason for their popularity was the fact that they were cheap to build and maintain.

Here is a better analogy than the VW one, the raider fighter is the AK-47 of the Babylon 5 univers. Both are quick and cheap to build. Both require little maintanince. Both don`t require a trained user.

------------------

Fanfic? I hope your joking. If not that's definately a penalty box statement(when someone says something so stupifying that you send them to the penalty box and they aren't allowed to speak for five minutes).

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back