• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

the Path of Sorrows

Nancy

Beyond the rim
This time it's two questions about the episode the Path of Sorrows.
1) Why did Gideon need forgiveness for winning the apocalypse box?
2) I heard that Lyta was supposed to be in this episode but Pat Tallman was not available at that time. So, was the woman that Matheson helped supposed to be Lyta?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by NAME: </font color>
1) Why did Gideon need forgiveness for winning the apocalypse box?

[/quote]

We've all done things in our lives for which we feel we need forgiveness. They are not always rational. I suspect it's for not being able to prevent the Cerberus from being destroyed, and/or because he got to the Drakh battle late in "War Zone."

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by NAME: </font color>
2) I heard that Lyta was supposed to be in this episode but Pat Tallman was not available at that time. So, was the woman that Matheson helped supposed to be Lyta?

[/quote]

Yes, Lyta was supposed to be "high powered P12" he helped. The scene would have been written differently if Lyta had been in the episode. Also, a certain Minbari ranger (Lennier) would have been seen from a distance in the episode (in such a way that they could have done it without Bill Mumy, seen only from the back). Don't ask me why both Lyta and Lennier couldn't have guest starred in The Path of Sorrows. I guess budget (lack of a decent one) was the reason.

1) I don't really know - I'm sure we would have learned more about the box as time went on if the series had continued. Maybe it was guilt of not winning the box ... but of using it, of letting it use him. The few scenes we did see him talking to it, it didn't see most at ease with having it or listening to it yet he wouldn't (couldn't?) stop. A less intriguing response is that he knew somewhere inside that the previous owner died because he lost the box - and Gideon caused the loosing of the box.

Of course he was also looking for (though not from the creature in the globe) forgiveness (and a chance at retribution) for surviving the destruction of the Cerberous when no one else of his crew did - survivor's guilt. It's been awhile since I've seen it so I'm not sure which I thougth he was getting an offer of forgiveness for ...

2) From what I've read on these boards - and I'm sure someone else can explain in more detail - the original script had Pat Tallman listed as acting and the character of that teep being Lyta ... so as far as we know, originally yes. However, I guess it's likely JMS would do something a bit different with her now that that scene was filmed with a different actress.

I think Gideon's use of the box, is similar in some ways to drug addiction, it gives you the edge you "supposedly" need, whilst gradually making you more dependent on it. Perhaps subconsciously Gideon was aware that this was happening, and was feeling guilty for using it for that reason.

I think that it was TNTs call that not to include Lennier and Lyta, so that Crusade could become more of its own thing!?!
But it was a long time ago I read that, so I may be wrong.

Maybe it was guilt of not winning the box ... but of using it, of letting it use him. The few scenes we did see him talking to it, it didn't see most at ease with having it or listening to it yet he wouldn't (couldn't?) stop. A less intriguing response is that he knew somewhere inside that the previous owner died because he lost the box - and Gideon caused the loosing of the box.

[/quote]
I think it was both things. Gideon feels guilty because he won the box and indirectly caused the death of the previous owner.

Gideon also feels guilty for carrying on using it, even after knowing it had killed its previous owner. He knows he should destroy it, but he can't bring himself to do so, and feels guilty as a result

I think he felt guilty about the previous owner dyeing because he won the box, and I also think that he knows that there's somethign inherently wrong about it and that it's going to come back and bite him someday.

On a side note, this is probably my favourite crusade ep. I think I like it better than "Well" which is saying a lot. Gideon's line at the end, "You're not a murderer, Galen" really hit me at the end, on various levels, after reading the mage trilogy.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back