• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Liandra

Dekion

Regular
Does anyone know anything about the ship? What is the crew compliment? Is it bigger than a WhiteStar, Smaller than a War Cruiser? Does it have a Jump Engine? When do you think we will see some concept art, nonetheless FX.

Talking of FX, how do you feel about GVFX handling this chore? I am slightly concerned, since the shows I know they do are far less CGI heavy than Rangers will most likely be. But The Outer Limits and Stargate SG-1 have great effects.

What are your thoughts?

------------------

As far as the ship, I'm not sure. I don't believe any detailed description has been given about the ship.

------------------
"Oh, Londo, you are a fool. You walk away from the greatest power I have ever seen, and now you expect me to do the same. They are the key to my eventual rise to the throne. Why would I abandon them?"

"Because I have asked you. And because your loyalty to our people should be greater than your ambition. And because I have poisoned your drink."
Lord Refa and Londo, Ceremonies of Light and Dark

hee hee hee
laugh.gif

------------------
Alec McClymont, 3D Artist
3D Artist - GVFX

We live for the one. We die for the one.

Oh, sure Slade, LAUGH all you want, because you have the inside info. Come on, just a little hint? Please? We'd greatly appreciate it.

Just tell us if it looks REALLY old, or if it looks really good. Or something. Just give me something! Great Maker, I hate this!

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

SLADE!!!!!

Man, ya gotta tell me!!!

I love your companies work in the above mentioned shows. Tell me this, and this shouldn't cause any conflicts with Rangers, is it a different experience working on effects heavy rangers, in comparison to the other shows?

Is you organization handling it well? Have there been any snags, or is it simply a blast.

------------------

I don't know any details about the Liandra, but I remember when I first told my brother all about it supposedly being cursed. He sugested that perhaps the Liandra is constructed using Vorlon technology.

That got me thinking. What if the Liandra was the first, or one of the first, prototype Vorlon/Minbari hybrid ships that they built? There must have been something before the Whitestars for them to work out all the glitches. If the Vorlons have living ships, then the first experiments could have produced sentient vessels with a mind of their own; hence the Liandra being cursed.

It might also explain why the Lianda is still functioning. The Minbari are unlikely to kill a concious ship. (it probably wouldn't let them)

If this theorising is true, then we are in for some fun
laugh.gif

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

"You can get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you can with just a kind word"

Well it has been a little different working on this show only because there are a lot more shots that in your typical episode of SG-1, as you mentioned. It's just basically a lot more work in such a short amount of time (I wish we had more).
As for snags, there have been plently of snags. Some small, some big. There are still issues that I can't talk about which have me concerned. They aren't all related to the FX of course, some have to do with story and such. Let's just say that as a HUGE B5 fan, I've found a few holes in the show.
It will all work out in the end I believe, although it won't be as good as I had originally imagined it, but what ever is?

As for the Liandra, I can't really say anything. Sorry guys
laugh.gif

------------------
3D Artist - GVFX

Well, I guess we should give you thanks for telling us SOMETHING, unlike some other site administrator who likes to keep things hidden from us, leaving us to be tortured by "Pain Technicians" until the beginning of January.

Oh well. It's not like I have any long term plans.
laugh.gif

------------------
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.

Thanks, Slade. At least it's good to get confirmation that the movie *really* exists.
laugh.gif

What a painful half-year we have to look forward to... and that's for you Americans. Just remember: we others are even worse off.
crazy.gif

------------------
"What would you say if I told you that Councilor Du'Rog had hired someone to kill me? Someone close to me?"
'Ambassador, with all due respect, if it *were* me, you wouldn't be here for us to have this conversation.'
-- G'Kar and Na'Toth, "The Parliament of Dreams"

Well...Holes in the production of "Babylon 5:Legend of the Rangers" story and...well...Geez! This is disappointing news, although, this is only coming from one opinion...or is it!? According to one of the comments made by Joe himself, he said that the producer's cut was going to the studio and network and that it was a really kick-ass movie, right in line with "In the Beginning"...not in size of course, but in terms of the quality of the acting performances and the visuals! So, on that note, I doubt that Joe would rave about something that has many holes in it! He does have to talk positive and supportive about it, but, it is really hard to lie about something that stinks! Although, no one said that it stinks...just a few problems in the show which has got me curious...that is all...

------------------

Referring to the holes in the show again...I wonder if these are the elements that has caused the Sci Fi Channel to wait for the ratings to come out on "Legend of the Rangers" instead of approving a go-order to series. Before pre-production, I read something about the script being approved and everyone was happy with it...Warner Bros. Sci Fi Channel and Joe himself. The final draft of "To Live and Die in Starlight" was approved and everyone was excited about it! Oh well...the show looks pretty neat to me! I still hope that we will be seeing a series out of this! Everything seems so package perfect with this production. This pilot seems to have all the elements in it to succeed. What more could a production ask for when there is a new pilot coming out with a proven fan-base...a proven solid history as a foundation to work from... not like a brand new pilot that has nothing to go with...nothing established...You get the picture! "Babylon 5:Legend of the Rangers" seems to have the ultimate elements to succeed. And there is still doubt...That is showbiz for ya!

------------------

Hmmm, any chance we are reading WAY TOO MUCH into way too little? Take ANY episode of B5 and I bet we can find someone on this board who didn't like it as much as the others.

And I am of the firm opinion that most good show's pilots were not all that great. Maybe I, too, expect too much from a pilot.

Besides, a "few holes" could give a series something to fill in, right?
wink.gif

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>If the Vorlons have living ships, then the first experiments could have produced sentient vessels with a mind of their own; hence the Liandra being cursed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting thought, but I don't think the Vorlons would give technology that advanced to anybody. The White Stars are not in any sense "living ships", much less sentient. Why would an earlier, cruder prototype have one feature that much in advance of everything else the Minbari are later shown to have?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>That got me thinking. What if the Liandra was the first, or one of the first, prototype Vorlon/Minbari hybrid ships that they built? There must have been something before the Whitestars for them to work out all the glitches.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Liandra is an old ship, old enough, according to Antony's "show overiew" page, that David is surprised it is even still in service.

But according to the novel To Dream in the City of Sorrows, the first Minbari ships that incorporate Vorlon technology are fighter-class technology demonstrators, first test-flown in 2259 or 60. From there they go straight to the White Star class. So there are no Minbari-Vorlon hybrid ships old enough to be the Liandra.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited July 14, 2001).]

Well I know you all have a great deal of confidence in JMS and the movie will be good. It's already good. It's just that I've noticed several things in the script that are inconsistant with other established things in B5 givin the timeframe of B5:LR. I don't think JMS even realises they're there. He's got so much going on that it must be hard to keep it all sorted out.

Once the movie airs I will remember to make a big long post about my observations. It should all make a little more sense at that time.

------------------
3D Artist - GVFX

Slade--Without telling us any of the content of the movie, can you tell us if you've read the whole script, or just the parts that deal with the FX that you are working on? Have you seen footage from the whole movie, or just "your" small part of it? If you are familiar with the whole movie, then can you just tell us what you think of the overall quality of it, compared to the other B5 TV movies (again, without actually revealing any spoilers)?

------------------

Yes Chris I can do that
laugh.gif

I have read the whole script, both versions of it. I have seen the whole movie, at least it it's current state.

I can tell you that it's good, it definitly feels like B5 and I think people will be happy with it. The quality is there, don't worry.

As for all the problems, I can't really tell you about them since they would give things away, and I'm not allowed to do that
laugh.gif

------------------
3D Artist - GVFX

Well, for me, just from the small, short trailer that was released for "Babylon 5:Legend of the Rangers"...the quality looks awesome! The production of this movie looks like a feature film, although, it is hard to really get a sense from "Real Player"...but...I liked what I saw! The cinematography looks great...the lighting looks great! Everything looks great. I can't wait to see the CGI...

------------------

Slade, I'm just curoious. What kind of educational background must one have to get into the CGI business? I have a background in some computer graphics and high-level math, and was interested in what you do.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Interesting thought, but I don't think the Vorlons would not give technology that advanced to anybody. The White Stars are not in any sense "living ships", much less sentient. Why would an earlier, cruder prototype have one feature that much in advance of everything else the Minbari are later shown to have?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well is could be possible that in the past they Minbari and Vorlon tried making another class of ship or prototype maybe the Liandra is it...maybe it ended up being a failed technology so they covered it up or just stopped production on it and tried somthing different. Maybe Vorlon tech that advanced wouldn't take to so much more primitive minbari technology. And had unforseeen consequece's.

Then thats when they made the fighter class seen in "to dream in city of sorrows" and then after that the whitestar and then the excalibur etc..

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Back