• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The *LEGEND* of the Rangers.... hmmm?

Myrl

Regular
I was just thinking of the title today. Other than it's similarity to Lord of the Rings it's still an odd title.

We know that in a thoasand or so years everything that happened in the B5 universe will be seen as mythology and fable (DoFS) so does this mean the series will be told from the perspective of these monks?

Does it mean, something will happen to the crew that will become the stuff of legends?

Or what?

------------------
Lois: Peter, what did you promise me?
Peter: That I wouldn't drink at the party.
Lois: And what did you do?
Peter: Drank at the pa-- ...Whoa! I almost walked into that one.

Stewie Griffin: No sprinkles! For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

They way in which they managed to build a more-or-less lasting peace into a galaxy that had only known regular wars...

...in time it certainly became the subject of many guesses, assumptions and even legends.

I agree that the title has a bit to do with the look back provided by "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars". At the very least it shows what the legends were founded on.

------------------
Canned flarn is a sacrilege.

I agree about the legend that becomes mythology in the future, but don't forget that Rangers have been around for a long time in the past too. In B5, we saw a lot of history and a lot of future. It could be that Rangers will *somehow* do the same thing.

Perhaps, the show will be an all-encompassing explanation of the legend of the Rangers, past, present, and future. JMS's writing has proven that he doesn't have tunnel vision. He sees not just the "big picture", but the *huge* picture. He has the scope to cover a lot of ground when it comes to legends, myth, history, prophecy, etc. I'm betting the 5-year show will cover a lot more than just 5 years of legend-making.

------------------
Not many fishes left in the sea. Not many fishes, just Londo and me.

The Rangers have become a legend when we see the monks in DoFS 1,000 years in the future. It's similar to the legend of King Arthur, or Robin Hood. There are tales told about their bravery and valor lasting for over one thousand years. Perhaps it will be the same with the Rangers.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ninja_Squirrel:
I agree about the legend that becomes mythology in the future, but don't forget that Rangers have been around for a long time in the past too. In B5, we saw a lot of history and a lot of future. It could be that Rangers will *somehow* do the same thing.

Perhaps, the show will be an all-encompassing explanation of the legend of the Rangers, past, present, and future. JMS's writing has proven that he doesn't have tunnel vision. He sees not just the "big picture", but the *huge* picture. He has the scope to cover a lot of ground when it comes to legends, myth, history, prophecy, etc. I'm betting the 5-year show will cover a lot more than just 5 years of legend-making.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what I assumed when I heard the title. I think of "To Live and Die in Starlight" as being our "entrance point" to a very long and honored tradition.

It's a good question, though it did not occur to me. And it certainly implies that this group will be adding to that “Legend”.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back