• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The hand.... Thirdspace

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>The hand.... Thirdspace<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's one of the many reasons why I hated the movie(or pilot or telemovie or whatever). Take away the younger, hipper cast of characters and the improved-upon special effects and you basically have Thirdspace. Of course I couldn't stand the original Thirdspace, so naturally I didn't want to see it remade. .

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
...the improved-upon special effects and ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's debatable! No, second thought it isn't. The effects were much better in Thirdspace.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

If I were to nipick the special effects and suggest improvements, I would choose:

1. Takeoff shots. Yes, the ship was supposed to be unstable. But the camera could have been stable, for better viewing.

2. Hypespace shots. The color scheme seems to be pushing the limits on the issue of bright red.

3. Part of the concept of the weapons pod. Not the effects themselves, but part of the concept. Rotating yourself versus rotating the image. Exhaustive kicking versus much quicker and less powerful gestures.

Other than than these particular points of doubt, I found effects to be most commendable and well beyond my expectations. Especially considering that they could use none of the old ship models.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lennier:
If I were to nipick the special effects and suggest improvements, I would choose:

2. Hypespace shots. The color scheme seems to be pushing the limits on the issue of bright red.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw more of a weird fluorescent magenta.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lennier:

3. Part of the concept of the weapons pod. Not the effects themselves, but part of the concept. Rotating yourself versus rotating the image. Exhaustive kicking versus much quicker and less powerful gestures.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BINGO!
laugh.gif

Other than than these particular points of doubt, I found effects to be most commendable and well beyond my expectations. Especially considering that they could use none of the old ship models.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More color in the jumppoints, to be more like B5 S5 and Crusade. Nials flying forwards not backwards. Space backrounds for B5 (the station) and Minbar as we saw on B5 (the series), that is, mainly dark backgrounds with a starfield, not these medium-light bluish low-res looking nebula backgrounds with nothing but pinpoint distant ships. This part seemed to definitely lack the resolution [1] of what we were used to seeing in B5, the other movies, and Crusade.

[1] Look at the resolution of B5 (the station) from the TNT Tapes or any of the Laserdiscs and you'll see what I mean. The TLaDiS shots look well, sort of soft and low res.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited March 04, 2002).]

I assume that if they lost original ship models, they also lost the original station and planetary models. That would pretty much explain why B5 was never shown close up. Possibly also why its rotation speed seemed out of place and why the Minbari fighters flew backwards.

The effects house was obviously forced to hurry, for the simple reason that most of their time and effort went into (re)building CGI.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited March 04, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>That's debatable! No, second thought it isn't. The effects were much better in Thirdspace.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's arguable.

Yes Lennier, I agree. I was suggesting improvements for the first B5:LotR episode.

Also, I can't accept that Warner Brothers has lost the CGI files forever. They damn well better have somebody looking for the stuff. Grrrr!

This all comes down the their dated policy for cell animation, somehow CGI falls under the same policy in that WB requires it all to be returned to them at the end of series, and then they go store them in a warehouse. Lord knows what it is labeled as. Perhaps they should check next to 'Duck Dogers' /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Sounds like Warner Brothers better change their antiquated policies to change with the times, or they should just go extinct. /ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back