• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Technomages

I just finished reading the technomage trilogy a few weeks ago. Since Galen made the discovery about where their tech really comes from, I am sure that he can find a new way to make the tech. I don't remember if a way was mentioned in the third book of the trilogy, but if there is to be a way, I am sure Galen can find it.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nukemall:
<font color=yellow>Or maybe not. The trilogy is called 'The Passing of the Technomages.' Just my two cents though.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I prefer to think of it as "passing by" not the end of the Technomages. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif These characters are too interesting, complex, and colorful to lose.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by LightNZ:
<font color=yellow><sigh>, maybe crusade would have shed some light near it's end</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Maybe Crusade will shed some light, and not necessarily near it's end. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I'm feeling a bit better than yesterday. Maybe it's time for more letters to Bonnie Hammer. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Or maybe not. The trilogy is called 'The Passing of the Technomages.' Just my two cents though <hr></blockquote>

But then wouldn't it mean that the vorlons won since their vision of evolution in the form of the teeps survive while the shadows' idea of evolution in the form of the mages die out?

hey, what about all us non-mages and non-telepaths
doesn't mean anyone one /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Most of Shadow technology is easy to produce. You provide it someone for food, and it grows. The problem is: how to get it to grow without killing anyone. How to circumvent the Shadow programming, designed to create conflict. How to have chaos without suffering, evolution without conflict...

In the end, the technomages face a task I would not envy.
To redesign something created by those who created them.
To jump over their own shadow, I would say.

They may fail. It may be their passing. But with their numbers and abilities, they will surely last centuries. They will achieve great things. If they are lucky, they will crack the Shadow puzzle and continue their kind. Even if not, they will leave a legacy comparable to Vorlon additions. The technology they build and discover is priceless, and will become the basis for future technologies, even if there will be no future technomages.

And if they have any say in the matter, there will be future technomages.

They are simply to powerful to fade away. Even if they don't crack the technology they still have a vast store of knowledge. Granted the new generation may not have the physical technology but maybe they'll be able to create a new technology, perhaps even better than the old. i honestly cannot see them fading away!

I agree. For those of you that have read the technomage trilogy, just look at the power that Galen has. It's like he has become one with the tech, like it's a part of him that he cannot exist without. As long as Galen is around, I don't think there will be an actual "passing" of the technomages. As I have said previously in this thread, I think he would be able to find a way to keep the mages and the tech alive, even without help from the Shadows. It would seem to me that Galen is the future of the order, and that as long as he is alive, there is no danger of it passing away.

The Technomages in the Centauri books are not behaving like members of a dying group. I suspect that they find a new way of making the technology. Possibly using the Shadow ship.

That's a good possibility. They have already been using their tech to do good. Perhaps they can learn to modify the tech from the ship to make it better.

I thought the book and this is a spoilerL

said that they are going to be no more. all while they were hiding out, they were dying. and not being replaced. the order was against replacing themselves...or maybe they couldn't because they hid.

but the impression i got was after they all die out, they are gone.

But look at Galen, Sassy. Do you think he'd let the mages pass without sharing what he learned about their tech?

Back