• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Techno-mages: questions and answers

Elizar

Beyond the rim
In the Legions of fire trilogy, there were

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Cloister-mages </font></td></tr></table>

. I have ideas on what they are. Do you have an idea, or another question?

------------------
-With every light is born a shadow-

I believe that Kane, Finian and Gwynn were referred to as (spoilers for both Centauri trilogy and Technomage trilogy):

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>cloister mages since they weren't exactly initiates any more, being in Galen's 'class', but since they had been 'cloistered' away in the hiding place for years, they weren't as powerful or as experienced as 'full' mages.</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

That's basically what I was thinking.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>That these cloister mages had completed their training, but since there is no more tech to be given, they aren't complete mages. </font></td></tr></table>

Does anyone have other questions?

------------------

I think this ties in with part of my "Rangers wishlist" reply over on the other board. Specifically,

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> we don't see them wearing chrysales in the Centauri trilogy, so it's possible the mages find a way to make their own tech for new mages like Gwynn and Finian. However, Kane is seen briefly in book 3 of the Technomage trilogy and seems to be a full mage, though we don't actually see him do anything. This one question could be answered in the course of Rangers as Invoking Darkness ends in Season 4 and the next time we see a mage is in ACTA, 2 years after the Rangers pilot, at which point the mages seem to be at least partly out of hiding. Without a mage in the main cast, though, I doubt we'll see anything for a while. </font></td></tr></table>

The future of the technomages is currently the most interesting question of the B5 universe to me, and I think (kinda hope) that was by design.

------------------

The way the last book ended

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> I got the impression they were all dying without their bases of operation which were destroyed when they fled to escape from the Shadows. Of course Galen found the source of the techs but it required a living entity to die to provide a new one didn't it? I don't think the technomages would accept that once they knew the truth </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
I believe that Kane, Finian and Gwynn were referred to as (spoilers for both Centauri trilogy and Technomage trilogy):

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>cloister mages since they weren't exactly initiates any more, being in Galen's 'class', but since they had been 'cloistered' away in the hiding place for years, they weren't as powerful or as experienced as 'full' mages.</font></td></tr></table>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok About Kane, Finian and Gwynn

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Yes these mages have all of there tech installed they were in the same initiate group as Galen and received there tech at the same time as Galen. But pretty much stright after they got there tech there were thrust into hiding. At this time they were "cloistered away" so they couldn't really progress to much... galen has his other mission so he was out and about... Anyway the cloisters had to learn and when they first leave the hiding place they are known as "cloister mage's" because they been hiden away... I assume thye must do stuff in the world to lose that title. or complets some tasks to lose that title...which was Centauri tilagy stuff i guess.. </font></td></tr></table>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:
The way the last book ended

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> I got the impression they were all dying without their bases of operation which were destroyed when they fled to escape from the Shadows. Of course Galen found the source of the techs but it required a living entity to die to provide a new one didn't it? I don't think the technomages would accept that once they knew the truth </font></td></tr></table>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

in answer

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Well not all of the mage's had place's of power(whihc you call base of operations)... From memory about 1 3rd had them... Yes those mage's that destoyed there place's of power became very sick they were dying and many had died... I do not know if any of the mage's who had place's of power lived..maybe some who knows..

Yes galen found out how the Shadows made the tech and he didn't like that one bit heh</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

I love discussing the mages. I remember when JMS first announced the coming of the trilogy books and how I was not terribly interested in the mage books compared with the Psi Corp and Centauri ones. Boy was I wrong, I loved the mage books!!!

Someone said in a message board somewhere that they'd heard of a fourth mage book in the works. I've never seen anything on any of the (no offense to whomever posted the 'rumor') more credible sources. Does anyone know of any credible source on whether or not there is a fourth mage book in the works?

I know Jean Cavelos is working on another nobel, unrelated to the mage books. So, I imagine she'll be working on that one for a while before she would work on a fourth book. Frankly, I am extremely skeptical about this...though ever hopeful.

But, there are so many interesting questions concerning the mages that spring from the first three. I very much want to learn more.

Jeanne herself said she'd like to know:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> how Galen might use his Shadow ship. I'd (eirik) like to see him take it to the Drakh homeworld and kick ass!!!</font></td></tr></table>

Well, I hope I used the spoiler codes correctly.

Cheers,

Eirik

------------------
It never ends; it only changes!

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> In the third book, Galen's mage ship is destroyed, so he goes to the hiding place in a shadow ship. But in Crusade, he has a mage ship. Maybe he uses the shadow ship to help make a new mage ship for himself. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>He really wouldn't need to make a new ship- he could easily borrow one from one of the 'pasted' mages that have died- and somehow bypassed it so he could use one of them, possibly Elric's </font></td></tr></table>

------------------

Yes,he could. Or he could

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Use another part of his Chrysalis to make another ship. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------

In reply to Eirik about the possibility of a Drakh homeworld: as far as I have understood, they have no real homeworld, at least in the period following the destruction of Z'ha'dum.

But they do inhabit several Shadow colonies, at least as long as their operation on Centauri Prime stays unknown (and their attack on Earth hasn't provoked a response). If they would have a real homeworld, they would probably use normal fleets, not building those huge mobile bases.

Perhaps the Drakh emissary who spoke with Delenn did consider Z'ha'dum the closest thing they had to a homeworld?

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Jeanne herself said she'd like to know:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>
how Galen might use his Shadow ship. I'd (eirik) like to see him take it to the Drakh homeworld and kick ass!!!
</font></td></tr></table>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My story idea reply.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>
1. Galen could use the Shadow ship's self repair mechanism to produce a machine able to manufacture Techno-mage implants. This method may be less efficient, taking say 4 years rather than the 3 years that the previous killer parasitic method needed. The kill everything in sight Shadow programming could also be corrected.

2. The ship could be used to destroy part of the Shadow servant fleet looking for the Mages and trick the rest of the fleet into calling the search off. The aliens (not the Drakh) would think that the Shadows had sent a messenger back for them.

3. The ship may permit Galen to secretly visit the 10 (?) remaining planets terraformed by the Shadows. It may know the access codes. I suspect that the Shadow defences will have been modified to reject Techno-mages.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

i have a question for u A_M_Swallow-- where did u come up wit number 3?

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> where do u find out about the 10 colonized shadow worlds? i think i remember it from a crusade script or episode--juss wanna know where that info presented itself </font></td></tr></table>

------------------

This is a fun thread!!!

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> I don't recall a Drakh homeworld myself being mentioned. However, someone posted somewhere that it was revealed...I think in the Centauri trilogy.

I don't think Z'Hadum was their homeworld per say. Remember that they regarded the Shadows as god-like. So, naturally, they would want to have a large presence on Z'hadum both when they were there and after they went beyond the rim.

Also, I don't believe that we've heard definitively as to whether or not the Drakh had a role in the previous Shadow war. If they had, one could speculate that their homeworld was destroyed.

One additional point, as we saw in Crusade, there are a lot of worlds and races in the galaxy unknown to humans, Minbari, etc. So, it is not beyond reasonable that the Drakh homeworld still exists but its whereabouts are unknown.

I like the idea of using the Shadow ship to fool the Drakh suggesting that it is in some way a message to them from the Shadows. Also, I love the idea of the other teraformed Shadow planets. They offer great potential for stories.

As for using the Shadow ship to make tech, its an interesting idea. A Shadow ship presumably contains a lot of organic material that could be used. However, I believe Galen regards it as a living being that he freed from the Shadows so I doubt he would endorse the cannibalism of the Shadow ship.

But, I've wondered what information Shadow ships might contain on Shadow technology or what could be learned from studying them that might offer insights into creation of mage tech. In the last mage book, the author gives us a suggestion (nothing more) that one type of the pods that Razeel was growing might actually grow into being a Shadow ship.

I wonder if the pods could grow from non-scenient life such as cattle or fish. If so, it would mark an interesting perspective that the Shadows have regarding the younger races...humans, Minbari, etc. are little more than chattle to Shadows. Interesting possibility! </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
It never ends; it only changes!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eirik:
This is a fun thread!!!

I don't think Z'Hadum was their homeworld per say. Remember that they regarded the Shadows as god-like. So, naturally, they would want to have a large presence on Z'hadum both when they were there and after they went beyond the rim. </font></td></tr></table>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

about Drahk and Shadows and there relationship from mage trilagy(I think)

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> In the mage trilagy I beleive it is talked about the Drakh's god etc. Anyway it is said that the Drakh do not think of the Shadows as gods just a higher tier servant of anotehr god.. this otehr God is the God of the Shadows and the Drakh... I do not think we are told exactly what this god is suppose to look like except that it is black and has a black sorta halo on it's head like the Centauri's hair. </font></td></tr></table>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>

Also, I don't believe that we've heard definitively as to whether or not the Drakh had a role in the previous Shadow war. If they had, one could speculate that their homeworld was destroyed.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

past Drahk stuff

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Um did'nt one of the older technomage's study the Drakh(was it forbidden to this mage to study drakh I forgot again heh). Anyway this mage I thought studied the Drakh in the last Shadow war when the mage order was in it's infancy. This mage worked out where it transmitted stuff to the Shadows or did she only work out they could communicate telepathically with there second hump in head? Bah not sure of time of this study anyone know? </font></td></tr></table>

Somthing else I wanted to know whihc I have forgotten. Does anyone know what the Two(or one?) technomage did to the first entauri emperor? How did he influence the Centauri?
Because I think it was galen who said what they did was a mistake and somthing bad but not sure what it was..

Also about Centauri, mage and Shadow Connection

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> We know the Shadows influenced the Centauri earlier on..you can easily tell this just via there hair... Anyway I wonder if the Shadows interfered directly or via the technomage's.... Or if the Mge;s interfered with Centauri culture independantly of the Shadows. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

[This message has been edited by Deviot (edited December 30, 2001).]

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>But, I've wondered what information Shadow ships might contain on Shadow technology or what could be learned from studying them that might offer insights into creation of mage tech. In the last mage book, the author gives us a suggestion (nothing more) that one type of the pods that Razeel was growing might actually grow into being a Shadow ship.</font></td></tr></table>

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>to that i say- the shadow ship probably doens't care much information at all- since the core (bunny) was removed when galen got into it- so how much could it actually know w/o bunny who was hard wired by the shadows to specifically fly the ship </font></td></tr></table>

------------------

GreyVorlon the information about the planets is in the First or Second Techno-mage book. To that figure add 1 for Z'ha'dum and subtract two to cover Galen and Lyta's activities.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

[This message has been edited by A_M_Swallow (edited December 31, 2001).]

If making new tech eats the Shadow ship Galen will probably be against it. However, if they only have to supply the Shadow ship with raw materials then the moral problem of cannibalism does not occur. The extra work to avoid damaging the ship may be the reason for the additional year.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

[This message has been edited by A_M_Swallow (edited December 31, 2001).]

Regarding mages and the first Centauri emperor, spoiler for the second technomage book:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>The first emperor was endorsed and perhaps assisted by three technomages (not members of the order, but independent agents).

Eventually, the technomages started their private fight for dominance and finished each other off... in rather destructive manner. At least destructive enough to make it into Centauri historical records as a great disaster.</font></td></tr></table>

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited December 31, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lennier:
Regarding mages and the first Centauri emperor, spoiler for the second technomage book:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>The first emperor was endorsed and perhaps assisted by three technomages (not members of the order, but independent agents).

Eventually, the technomages started their private fight for dominance and finished each other off... in rather destructive manner. At least destructive enough to make it into Centauri historical records as a great disaster.</font></td></tr></table>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah thankyou Lennier I knew somthing happend I just was not sure what....

I do not remember this being spoken about in technomage trilagy I thought it was said in the centauri one but good good...

Mage's are devious.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back