• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

"Summoning Light" and "The Geometry of Shadows"

KoshN

Super Moderator
\"Summoning Light\" and \"The Geometry of Shadows\"

Why didn't I see this when I first read Summoning Light? /ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif

Remembering back from when I first read Summoning Light, I thought the Ondavi was slightly ahead and to one side of the Crystal Cabin in hyperspace when the Ondavi exploded. However, upon re-reading (p.317-321) the Ondavi exploded in normal space on the way to the jumpgate, Sheridan saw it (p.320 top), and the Crystal Cabin had to maneuver around the wreckage. Looks like a contradiction with TGoS. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

Re: \"Summoning Light\" and \"The Geometry of Shadows\"

Yeah, I noticed this too as I specifically watched TGoS after reading Summoning Light /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif

I fired off an email to Jeanne Cavelos about it. We'll see if she replies. I bet she will.

I prefer to think of it as the Ondavi exploding in hyperspace, in view of the Crystal Cabin, but after the jumpgate's closed and they're both far enough away from B5 so that the hyperspace sensors (as discussed in Season 5's Movements of Fire and Shadow) don't relay the info. to B5.

Otherwise, why in A Call to Arms isn't Sheridan surprised to to see the mages alive? In other words, why doesn't he say to Galen, "I thought all you guys were dead."

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Otherwise, why in A Call to Arms isn't Sheridan surprised to to see the mages alive? In other words, why doesn't he say to Galen, "I thought all you guys were dead."

<hr></blockquote>
I thought that Sheridan was in on it, or at least was told by Elric.

That's true. He was in on it. Elric told him something, but Ing-Radi told him more. Sheridan thought there would be no mages on the Ondavi, but we know that was not the case. 25 mages died on the Ondavi, plus the crew.

The biggest problem I have is that of Sheridan and Londo seeing the explosion. In TGoS, we just saw Sheridan see the Ondavi make a nice, uneventful jump to hyperspace.

That's true, now that I think about it.

Just got the following info this morning. Enjoy. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

With regard to the Ondavi blowing up and us seeing the
Crystal Cabin leave through the jumppoint, here's what
Jeanne Cavelos had to say (reproduced here with
permission):

<font color=orange>"I assumed a passage of time between the explosion of
the Ondavi and the Crystal Cabin's jump through the gate.
In the book, all you know is that, after the explosion, the
Crystal Cabin is maneuvering around the wreckage, and then
we leave Elric's POV.

I assume that if a ship explodes, they're going to stop
everything for at least a few minutes before resuming normal
traffic and jumps. So the Crystal Cabin will have to wait before
jumping, giving Sheridan time to react to the explosion, along
with the rest of the C&C crew, Londo, Vir, etc. Then the
Crystal Cabin makes the jump and Sheridan goes into that
speech at the end of TGOS. Clearly, this is a passage of
time that isn't shown in the episode. Similarly, I inserted
many things in the book that weren't in the episode. If people
aren't willing to allow that things happened on B5 that weren't
shown in the episode, then they obviously aren't going to like
my book, but I thought that using that technique made the
book a lot more interesting than it would otherwise be (and
also more true to the techno-mages and their deceptive
natures). Since I never show Sheridan's speech in the book,
it's never established how much time passes between the
explosion and the Crystal Cabin's departure. Each reader
can make it what he wants."</font color=orange>

Later she added:

<font color=orange>"I suppose that in the book I could have had some
announcement over the loudspeaker on the Crystal Cabin that
their jump would be delayed by an hour . . . I guess I just
figured people could insert that on their own, and I didn't want
to break the mood."</font color=orange>

**releases an 'ahh' of enlightenment** /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Me thinks this means that I should read the books, doesn't it? Looks like I've been missing out on some good ones. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Rommie

I just donated a copy of Summoning Light and Invoking Darkness to the local Library today.

So far, I've given them books 7 & 9 of the original series, the three movie novelizations, and all three trilogies, and in the front of each book I put a sticker that says:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
As you read this book, feel free to join the Online discussion about it at
Newsgroup:

rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

and

http://www.b5lr.com/
http://www.b5lr.com/[/b]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BTW, four were out (Psi Corps 2, CP 2 & 3, and Thirdspace) when I was there today. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Hey, that's really great of you to do this, KoshN! I assume that not all public libraries get those kind of books by themselves, right? That certainly gives a lot of people in your area the opportunity to enjoy the books! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Hey, that's really great of you to do this, KoshN!

<hr></blockquote>
/ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gifFirst, I didn't put this up here to get praise. Really I didn't. I've always been uncomfortable accepting praise. /ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif I put it up here hoping that others might do the same for their local library. I also wanted to show the idea of alerting people to the existence of rastb5m and B5LR.com, via an avenue most people may not have thought of.

Plus, I did it for totally selfish reasons:
<ul type="square">[*] to increase the B5 fanbase and awareness of the show.
[*] to increase people's awareness of both rastb5m and B5LR.com
[*] and the tax deduction didn't hurt either. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif
[/list]

The nice part is that I got to arrange the display myself, and have them all face out, in the rack, so there is at least one place in the world where B5 books have greater representation both in number, and in face out display, than Trek books. /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

I assume that not all public libraries get those kind of books by themselves, right?

<hr></blockquote>

Not unless people donate them.

That certainly gives a lot of people in your area the opportunity to enjoy the books! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr></blockquote>

That's the idea. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

"As you read this book, feel free to join the Online discussion about it at
Newsgroup:
rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
and http://www.b5lr.com/ "

KoshN, that is generous of you. Local libraries only have so much money, and donations help them out so much. I would do the same, but I have to admit books are awfully "used" when I finish reading them.

Oh, and the moderated group you tell them about: you need special software to get there, don't you? I hope that doesn't put anyone off. Someone at this site I think told me about Mailgate, which is free and is what I use.

Oh, and the moderated group you tell them about: you need special software to get there, don't you?

<hr></blockquote>
I think most of the more common e-mail programs these days include a newsreader as well, so one can get by even just by using Outlook Express if one is so inclined.

I use Mailgate as well, mostly because I can't rely on the news service of my ISP, either at work or at home - the messages arrive in a most random order, often several days later than they do on Mailgate, and what's worst - the majority of the messages never turn up.

do you mind if i start a post asking others to do the same... It might not have occured to some people to do this with their books.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Local libraries only have so much money, and donations help them out so much. I would do the same, but I have to admit books are awfully "used" when I finish reading them.<hr></blockquote>

They aren't getting my copies. Mine have notes written in them, and I use them to look stuff up when we have debates on rastb5m, and here. See my debate with "Werner" at rastb5m./ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif

I bought new copies especially for the Library. I never loan my books out. Never know when I might be needing them to clear up misconceptions. /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Oh, and the moderated group you tell them about: you need special software to get there, don't you? I hope that doesn't put anyone off. Someone at this site I think told me about Mailgate, which is free and is what I use.<hr></blockquote>

I use Microsoft Outlook Express that came with Windows 2000. Then, I downloaded the latest revision of it from the WWW. It's easy to use, and I have access to about 35,000 newsgroups, of which I subscribe to two dozen.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>do you mind if i start a post asking others to do the same... It might not have occured to some people to do this with their books. <hr></blockquote>

No, of course not, but I'm not advocating that anybody give up their books after they read them. I was advocating people buying books especially to donate.

Now, one person doesn't have to buy all the books to donate (like I did). If a few local people got together, the buying could be spread out. Also, the books don't really cost very much, so it's not that great a hardship. It's not like you're donating a Laserdisc or DVD collection or anything really expensive.

Like I said in the previous post, nobody but nobody's getting my books (while I'm alive). After I croak, I don't care, but for the next 30 or so years (hopefully) I'm hanging on to my books. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back