• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Story arc

orginaly posted by Memphis Mafia
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>And what if, heaven forbid, they decide that there won't be a new series at all? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
then that would suck
mad.gif

------------------
"I am the state"
Napoleon

Ok, let's just shoot Memphis Mafia...LOL
Seriously though, I agree, for now it's premature to guess/speculate about arc, writers, etc. until we hear Rangers is actually picked up....

------------------
"Faith Manages"

This board is mostly made up of wishful thinkers
smile.gif
We want a series about the Rangers so we think if we talk about it enough it will happen
laugh.gif

------------------

You said it, Jomar! Creative Visualization, or something like that.

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

I believe the usual pilot deal includes some kind of "first call" option on the actors's services for a given period of time. The series almost certainly could not go into production until next February or March anyway (because of JMS's other commitments) so everybody has plenty of time to do other projects in the meantime, and Sci-Fi is under no particular pressure to make a decision now.

JMS has said that he's been told that Sci-Fi may do one of two things - make a "go" decision based on the rough-cut of the film (without FX), which is being assembled now, or wait until the film airs (probably in December) and see how the ratings look. But's he's also said that he's confident that they'll like the movie and approve the series.

Sci-Fi has been trying to get a B5 project since 1998. They're not only trying to add more nights of original programming, but they're almost certainly going to cancel two of their current prime time series (Black Scorpion and Jules Verne - neither were mentioned at their recent "up-front" for advertisers.) So they have slots to fill.

The very fact that they're advertising the thing in June, when it likely won't air until December, and promoting it during the B5 reruns under the proposed series title, and that they've put some footage out when the prints are barely dry, tells me that they're very interested in this project.

While it is technically true that we don't know that the series is going to happen, unless the TV movie is just awful, or Netter and Straczynksi go wildly overbudget in post production, I'd be willing to bet the mortgage check that it will.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

"The series almost certainly could not go into production until next February or March anyway (because of JMS's other commitments)"

But if this is true, from http://babylon5.about.com/tvradio/babylon5/ "Straczynski hopes the film (Rising Stars) will shoot in late 2001 or early 2002 for a release in late 2002"

Wouldn't production for a Rangers series begin even later than that?

Or is my theory true, J.M.S. is the first human to ever be cloned
wink.gif

------------------
"Faith Manages"

Hey, don't get me wrong, I WANT A NEW SERIES, I was just a little concerned that it hasn't been announced . . . still am. And as far as the option clauses go for actors who make "pilots" it does not mean that a studio or company can simply "lock up" an actor if they eventually decide to go forward. A good case in point would be the pilot that Scott Bakula shot right before he accepted the Enterprise job... it's not bloody likely that he's gonna do the sitcom now, if they decided to go forward. The most they could do would be to add something like a right of first refusal in a contract ... or, more likely, there is a limited time window in which a contract for a longer period of time can be signed. Once the window is passed, an actor could do anything he wished. I only bring all of this up, because I believe that Dylan Neal is a promising actor. He could very well get that big break that will make him a household name.

------------------

JMS was only hired to write the film version of Rising Stars. He isn't also producing it. So it isn't like he has to be on the set every day. (Hell, most directors don't want the writer anywhere near the set. This was one of the bones of contention during negotiations for the last WGA contract - actually getting the writer listed on the daily call sheets and including him/her/them on press junkets and promotional tours - as well as getting them increased access to the set.)

Rising Stars shouldn't have any more of an effect on Rangers than JMS's comic book commitments. Any changes that need to be made can be written in Vancouver and faxed or sent to the RS set as data files.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Waitaminute.... I've been under the assumption that the series was already a done deal. Has sci-fi made an announcements yet?

------------------
"No children have ever meddled with the Republican Party and lived to tell about it." —— Sideshow Bob discusses Bart and Lisa with his supporters.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Memphis Mafia:
Aren't they concerned that even if they do decide to start a series that some of the original cast might be connected to other projects by then?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I attended the Gathering in Vancouver in May, and I posed this question to JMS and the cast members present.

They made me feel a tad silly. The notion that they wouldn't be available seemed to be the last consideration anyone was worrying about. I left with the idea that everyone was going to be more than willing and available to do a series.

Any other takes on this from others who were there?

------------------
The avalance has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

There are thousands of actors and actresses in Hollywood. At any one time, only a few hundred are under long term contract to a series or movie. The rest are making a living from "guest appearances" live theater, promotional appearances, etc.

And, of course, residuals from when they Have gotten lucky.

These people live with this reality. That might be why they appear a bit amused at the idea that more than one or two of them would be unavailable at any particular time. Most of the time, All of them are available. And none of them expects the business to change That Much in the foreseeable future.

For all the stuff you see about the huge salaries actors get, the average annual income from _Acting_ in Hollywood is less than $5,000 per year. It's the hope for the Big Break that does get the big bucks that keeps them doing it.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

Even if one or two of the actors were not available it wouldn't really affect the series with such a large cast. Don't forget there were at least three major changes between the B5 pilot and the first episode. Also Delenn's appearance was drastically changed, for the better I might add.
smile.gif

------------------

If you'll remember correctly, and i can't remember the exact name of the episode, but the Rangers started taking members from all other races. I remember this because in this ep there is a big to do over a Ranger who got jumped by some guys and there in the end the teacher who was with them was pointing out how much better the pakmara would have done in the end fight. If someone remembers the name of this ep or even knows of the one i'm talking about i'd apperciate the help here.

------------------

Sounds like Learning Curve from Season 5 to me, Teekas Dragon.
smile.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
There are thousands of actors and actresses in Hollywood. At any one time, only a few hundred are under long term contract to a series or movie. The rest are making a living from "guest appearances" live theater, promotional appearances, etc.

You forgot waiting tables, pumping gas, working at video stores, etc.

It's the hope for the Big Break that does get the big bucks that keeps them doing it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you forgot love for the craft, the undeniable urge to create, and vanity....tons and tons of vanity. heh

------------------

Finally--I see a post from Gus Lynch!
smile.gif

So Gus, what do you think of us fans analyzing your "little" movie to death, huh?

Tammy

------------------

Those principles apply to writers too... a small percntage have work. And I wanna get into it... I must be mad.
laugh.gif

------------------
Dreg: "Most beauteous and supremely magnificent one, this dark spell I hold in my worthless and scabby hand is our gift to you, most tingly and wonderful Glorificus..."
Glory: "Please, call me Glory. And get up, looking at you is hurting my neck."
Dreg: "Forgive me, shiny special one. I beg of you to rip out my inadequate tongue."
Glory: "Gimme."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gkarfan:
Finally--I see a post from Gus Lynch!
smile.gif

So Gus, what do you think of us fans analyzing your "little" movie to death, huh?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is always the search engine if you wish to find posts by a specific person
smile.gif

And Gus hang around nice crowd here as you can see
smile.gif

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back