• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Spot the recurring actors...

The_One

Regular
Obviously on a TV show, especially a science fiction one, you end up with actors playing multiple roles. It's funny, aside from the obvious ones (Lorien/Sebastian/Drazi, Byron/Minbari, Neroon/Nightwatch Guy etc..) I hadn't noticed some until the last few days.

I'm working my way through all five series at the moment - it's great to relive it all, for the umpteenth time. Anyway, when I was watching Season 1, I noticed a couple of actors who I think I've seen in other episodes (under a different guise). As I'm too lazy to check myself, I wonder if anyone could confirm these for me.

Is the original Draal (A Voice in the Wilderness) the same actor who plays Brother Theo in Season 3?

And secondly, is the alien who helps Walker Smith in TKO, the same as the ring leader in Ceremonies of Light and Dark?

I guess the entire series is littered with examples such as these, it's quite fun trying to spot them - especially when they swap species ;)

So, who have you guys spotted?

Is the original Draal (A Voice in the Wilderness) the same actor who plays Brother Theo in Season 3?

Yes. I specifically remember this, and I'm sure even without looking.

And secondly, is the alien who helps Walker Smith in TKO, the same as the ring leader in Ceremonies of Light and Dark?

I wasn't sure about this one, but I looked it up in Andy Lane's The Babylon File. Don Stroud does indeed play both Boggs in CoLaD and Caliban in TKO.

Here's a significant yet unfortunate example: Robin Atkin Downes plays Morann in Atonement and In The Beginning and then shows up as Byron in the fifth season.

There were several actors who rotated as League ambassadors and other nameless aliens, especially as Narns and Drazi. The main ones were Jonathon Chapman, Mark Hendrickson, and Kim Strauss.

I've caught a few. Neroon and one of the Ministry of Peace guys were played by the same actor.

Byron was also a Minbari. (The one who told Delen "yours is the deciding vote" after Dukat was killed.)

There is also a guy who was a minbari and a narn. Their eyes / voices were definitely the same.

And let's not forget ole Wayne Alexander. :)

Sorry I don't have specifics above. Maybe someone will fill in the gaps.

And let's not forget ole Wayne Alexander.

True; very good example.

He plays the human Sebastian (a.k.a. Jack) in season 2's Comes the Inquisitor.

He plays a Narn in season 3's And The Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place.

He plays Lorien in the first six episodes of season 4 and in the series finale.

He plays the Drazi "prisoner" in season 4's Intersections in Real Time.

And, he plays the main Drakh in season 5's The Fall of Centauri Prime.

That's an impressive 11 episodes. Some recurring actors may have "recurred" more often, but several of Wayne Alexander's appearances are more significant, considering only two of those were nameless roles (unless you count the Drakh in TFoCP, but he got a name check later on in the CP book trilogy).

Robin Sachs has played two different Minbari Grey Council guys and that Narn general Na'tok in season 5.

I used to think that the Narn general that Sachs plays in season five was Na'Kal and it was just a continuation of that character until I relatively recently realized that the Narn general in season five is Na'Tok. Being able to so easily recognize Sachs in Narn makeup made realizing that they were two seperate characters difficult as long as I didn't pay much attention to the characters' names.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Robin Sachs plays the same Narn in all his episodes.

According to Andy Lane's The Babylon File, Vol. 2, Robin Sachs plays Na'Tok in Movements of Fire and Shadow and Na'Kal in The Fall of Centauri Prime. However, further detail in the MoFaS summary explains that Sachs has played that same character in The Fall of Night and Walkabout. In The Babylon File, Vol. 1, those episode's summaries list him as Na'Kal.

So, I think him being listed as Na'Tok for MoFaS is a typo. And, if he was actually called that in the episode, it was probably a mistake in the script or in the delivery of the line. I noticed that in Season 5 JMS dropped a lot of mentions, follow-ups, and homages to elements of earlier seasons, and I think bringing back Na'Kal was one of them. I doubt they would have gotten the same actor to play a person of the same military position from the same alien race but then intentionally give him a different name than the earlier character. I think it's meant to be the same guy.

However, Robin Sachs apparently has played two different Minbari, Hedronn in Points of Departure, and Copelann in In The Beginning.

So, I think him being listed as Na'Tok for MoFaS is a typo.

So, you're saying that the actual on-screen credit at the beginning of "Movements Of Fire And Shadow" and "The Fall Of Centauri Prime" are typos?

So, you're saying that the actual on-screen credit at the beginning of "Movements Of Fire And Shadow" and "The Fall Of Centauri Prime" are typos?

I don't know. I didn't check the episodes themselves. I was looking in the two The Babylon File books. They're usually active on most things, but it could be they have the typos.

I'm suprised it took me this long to think this thought: Perhaps Na'Kal and Na'Tok are twin brothers.

Perhaps our first solid examples of "pouch brothers." Interesting.

I only just realized this time through, that Turhan Bey who played the Centauri Emperor In Coming of Shadows, was Turval in Learning Curve.

Damian London, as the Regent, is that the same character all the way through the series? He's listed as Centauri Offical, Minister, and Regent, so I assumed he was the same character, just with political promotions, but, for some reason, I seem to think there may have been a contradiction to that, although I can't recall off hand what that copntradiction may have been (If it exists at all)

Marjean Holden

A very visible "twin" is Marjean Holden. She played a navigation officer in A Call to Arms, and played doctor Sarah Chambers in Crusade.

The spirit of Ed Wasser lives on :LOL:.
In his case, there was more time, 12 episodes, between his appearance in The Gathering and Signs and Portents.

Damian London, as the Regent, is that the same character all the way through the series?

JMS has said that it's the same guy, just being promoted rapidly because of his total inoffensiveness.

Pastels. I'm thinking pastels.

Back