• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Spooks (British TV series)

PillowRock

Regular
The US cable network A&E will soon debut the series that I understand is called Spooks in the UK (here is airing under the title MI-5).

I was wondering if any the British posters here had any recommendations (pro or con) about the show.

Also, BBC-America recently started showing Red Cap. So far they have shown the pilot movie and one regular episode. It's not bad. It did seem like Jo (the central character) got her stripe back a bit quickly, although I guess I'm not sure how much time passed in the character's world between her losing it in the pilot and getting it back in the first episode. I'm sure it didn't feel as unnaturally quick when there was a year between the pilot and the first regular episode. Here there was only a week between them. Actually, since I didn't catch the pilot until an encore broadcast, it was only a couple days for me.

The people that I know who watch Spooks swear by it.

I haven't seen it, but recommend it purely because so many US networks take British programmes and try to make their own versions. It always fails. At least A&E have the decency to take what's doing well and run with it.

I enjoy Spooks. The program is totally unrealistic but fun - plenty of explosions.

The real MI-5 consists of hundreds of filing clerks who handle lists of people convicted and immigrants. However that is not worth filming.

so many US networks take British programmes and try to make their own versions. It always fails.

Well, to be fair, it only *usually* fails (or maybe it's "almost always"). There have been counter-examples of US series based on British series where the American version found its own voice and became good and successful shows in their own right. One case where the American version went down as absolute classic (although it's subject matter was firmly enough rooted in the politics of the time that it can often look pretty dated when viewed today) was All in the Family. I believe the title of the British source was Till Death Do Us Part.

You have to be careful about using word like "always" and "never". ;) :p

I enjoy Spooks. The program is totally unrealistic but fun - plenty of explosions.

The real MI-5 consists of hundreds of filing clerks who handle lists of people convicted and immigrants. However that is not worth filming.

It sounds a bit like the American series Alias.

Wow. But that's an old programme... I didn't know of that. I think that you mention a programme from the 60s says it all really.

As to likening it to Alias... not what I've seen. More in the tone of CSI... so think CSI but with detectives.

Well, All in the Family is definitely a 70's show, although the British original may well date to the 60's. But that was to get an uncontested classic, and there aren't that many of those regardless of whether they are original or based on other sources.

I'm sure there are more recent examples of shows that were merely successful, from the producer's POV. It's just that I don't keep track of the fine print of things like "Created by" or "Based on" for the vast majority of TV series. That only works its into my consciousness for the very few shows that I really pay attention more than just casual viewing, and a few of the consensus "classics" that you can still see "Making of" retrospectives of.

I watched this (MI-5 on A&E; retitled from Spooks when it ran in the UK) last night. I had taped it when it was on this past Tuesday night.

It was pretty good. If I had to describe it in terms of another show, I would say that it reminds me of The Sandbaggers with more explosions etc. and a much bigger budget.

In Spooks, though, the "special relationship" seems much more strained thoughout. In The Sandbaggers the British and Americans were not above running odd games on each other, but they were on friendlier terms in general. I'm not sure whether that is due more to the times in which they are set. The other possibility is that it may have a lot to do with the difference in the British angency being depicted. In The Sandbaggers Burnside's Special Section was expressly forbidden to operate within the UK. As a foriegn intelligence service they were much less likely to be working at crossed purposes to the CIA, more commonly working toward common goals in operations staged in third countries. Actaully, as I remember it, Burnside actually requested the CIA London office to perform a couple break-ins (or similar acts) on British soil because the CIA could better handle ticking off MI-5 than his section could as a part of the same government. Spooks is showing the MI-5 side of that relationship.

True, spy catches (MI-5) and spies (CIA) tend not to get on very well. In the USA the FBI performs the equivalent job. Even so the day-to-day disagreements appear excessive.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back