• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Spidey and Mary Jane (spoilers)

Lyta

Ok, I just read the latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man and I am hoping someone can fill me in on what the deal with MJ is? I got the feeling that she is his long time gf or something, right? What happened between them that she is in LA and he is in NY? Does she know his identity? Help! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

PS: Remember I only started reading when JMS began writing for ASM and only vaugely know of the rest of his history.

>Ok, I just read the latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man and I am hoping someone can fill me in on what the deal with MJ is?>

Will do!

>I got the feeling that she is his long time gf or something, right?>

Close....MJ and Peter were married.

Not sure if they officially got a divorce or not (I missed the issues where Peter & her split)...but Peter and MJ were married for a long time.

MJ was even pregnant at one time....but she lost the baby. Foul play on the part of one of Spidey's villians "the Green Goblin" is suspected by the long time readers. But thats another story all together.

Basically, what it boils down to, is that the editors, head-honchos of Marvel,etc wanted Peter to be single again (they were trying to de-age him) so they split MJ and Peter.

IMO, I personally don't like it and think they should have stayed together but..I'm not in charge of Marvel. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

Anyway, JMS has avoided using her (and other long time Spidey supporting characters...expect for Aunt May and MJ's Aunt). I'm not sure why he used her in the Silent Issue...maybe its building toward MJ and Peter getting back together...or at least re-introducing her to the title. Or maybe Marvel just wanted her to be in the issue.

And ya the issue being silent doesn't help much to explain who MJ is to the new reader! lol!

Hope I'm helping!

> What happened between them that she is in LA and he is in NY?>

Well, I covered that up there a little..not really sure all the details to MJ and Peter's split.

Last time I read one with MJ in it, she was first thought dead, then it was found out that she was alive and had been captured by someone that was stalking her....

Like I said, not sure why they split...guess it might have been something do with being captured and how Peter's Spidey career always gets into their life..she didn't much like him being Spidey.

>Does she know his identity?>

Yes indeed. She actually found out...get this....way back when Peter had just become Spidey.

MJ use to live next door to Peter. So, before she even knew him, she saw him pull on the Spidey mask as he slipped out his window!

Course we the readers didn't find this out till many, many, many, many years later, when MJ revealed to Peter that she knew his secret!

(and this was before they got married!)

So, I don't know how long after that...a story was told showing when MJ first found out! Never read it myself...just heard about it.

I do have a reprint of the story where MJ tells Peter that knows he's Spiderman! Very good issue.

Re-cap:

-MJ and Peter were married and almost had a kid!

(aside: theres actually a comic, called Spidergirl, that tells the adventure of this kid that was never born! Its an alternate reality! Peter and MJ are still married there)

-They were split up to make Peter seem younger (at least thats what I hear)

-and now MJ is appearing in the comic again for some reason

Maybe they will get back together? That would be cool, IMO.

Well, anyway, I hope I helped somewhat.

If you have anymore questions about MJ or Aunt May or anything else Spidey related just ask!

I'm a huge fan of Spiderman.

>PS: Remember I only started reading when JMS began writing for ASM and only vaugely know of the rest of his history. >

Welcome aboard! Like I said, if you need to know anything else, just ask.

Citizen DF

Originally posted by Citizen DF:
<font color=yellow>Close....MJ and Peter were married. Not sure if they officially got a divorce or not (I missed the issues where Peter & her split)...but Peter and MJ were married for a long time.</font color=yellow>

Aha! I never knew that. So, the movie that is coming out ... it looked like they just met or something? I am not following what the movie is about but now that I am reading ASM, I figured I will see the movie at some point. I want to make sure I know where it fits in to what I already know. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=yellow>Basically, what it boils down to, is that the editors, head-honchos of Marvel,etc wanted Peter to be single again (they were trying to de-age him) so they split MJ and Peter. </font color=yellow>

Oh, so that explains some of the things I had heard ...

<font color=yellow>Anyway, JMS has avoided using her (and other long time Spidey supporting characters...expect for Aunt May and MJ's Aunt). I'm not sure why he used her in the Silent Issue...maybe its building toward MJ and Peter getting back together...or at least re-introducing her to the title. Or maybe Marvel just wanted her to be in the issue.</font color=yellow>

Or all of the above? JMS wouldn't just have her in there for no reason. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif I know JMS doesn't have complete creative freedom but it sounded like he wanted to clean the slate before reintroducing the supporting chars and perhaps even clean up their storylines? I just wish there was a tiny bit more backstory to who the heck this woman was in the silent issue. I also wish they would post the complete script for ASM #39 already. *sigh*

Knowing that she knows who he really is explains a lot. I guessed it from the context but wasn't really sure.

So, she's a fashion model? Is that what she has always been? Man, I would have expected more substantial than that ... eh, oh well ... I guess she is no Lois Lane, huh? /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Thanks again Citizen DF! It really helped. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

The movie will take up the story from the beginning, so Peter and MJ won't be married.

As I recall, in the comics, MJ was always interesed in modeling/acting.

I thought ASM #39 was one of the best of the "nuff said" lot.

I can't wait for this movie, myself. This will be a good year for geek movies. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back