• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Speculation on Crusade cliffhanger (pos. spoilers)

Droshalla

Beyond the rim
There may be some spoilers on the unproduced Crusade scripts so you may want to stop reading...

Okay, it's old news about those Crusade scripts, but I was reading "End of the Line" again and got thinking about how the cliffhnager would have concluded. Anyone care to speculate?

The way I see it, there are only really two main possibilities:

1) Gideon was not actually shot, something got in the way, maybe one of Galen's projections or something...
2) Gideon was shot, full impact, and would have to be healed somehow ala Garibaldi - perhaps with Galen's tech/organelles etc.

What other possibilities are there? What do you think JMS had in mind for a solution? (Maybe this has been gone over and over before, if so sorry and could you direct me to a relevant link)

Re: Speculation on Crusade cliffhanger

3)Maybe Gideon gets shot and dies.

Not one I like, but a possibility.

3)Maybe Gideon gets shot and dies.

Not one I like, but a possibility.

I doubt if Gary Cole would have agreed to play the part for one season :LOL:

My thoughts were that he'd have been hurt but not killed, then fixed up by Chambers and Galen, ready to go out and give the bad guys hell :D

This thread shoudl have a spoiler warning in the topic..

I don't think he woudl have died, simply because I don't see Gary Cole leaving the show and there is nothing that's come across in anything I've read from hin since then that would indiciate that.

On the assumption that those of you who have taken time to track down / read the scripts have also read the technomage trilogy.....

It's been a while since I've read it. Even at the end of book 3, after joining with the tech, was Galen able to do any more sort of healing other than simply transferring organelles? I mean, he still couldn't heal on the level of Ing-Radi or even Gowen, could he?

Galen might have been able to protect him from being shot in the first place.. Afterall, he was able to shield Morden froma lot worse than a bullet. It's just a matter of whether he had time or not.

However, I think that for the purposes of story/character development, at that point, Gideon had to get shot, though it wouldn't have been fatal.

The techmage trilogy and the series really show Galen differently. In the books you realize that this guy can do some pretty amazing stuff. But in the show he just a had a few cool tricks but nothing substantial. In the books i think Galen could have easily stopped the bullet. In the series i think not.

The bullet may have missed the captain and hit the doctor. She had a new series lined up.

What about the sniper then? Anyone have any thoughts on who that might have been? I would say it was probably some EarthForce special ops guy - obviously in on the conspiracy. But that would leave us with the question: how did the conspiracy guys spread the word of what Gideon was about to do and arrange a sniper so quickly? After all, they went straight to Mars on Galen's ship and Major Lee et. al. had no idea where they were heading - unless they could somehow track Galen's ship...

2) Gideon was shot, full impact, and would have to be healed somehow ala Garibaldi - perhaps with Galen's tech/organelles etc.

What about this extension?
2a) Gideon is shot, and Lochley will be in command of Excalibur for few episodes.

She had a new series lined up.

I don't believe that Marjean had Beastmaster "lined up" at the time the script was missing. I don't think she even started looking for work on another show until after the final production shut-down. For one thing she was still under exclusive contract to Warner Bros. until July 1999.

Regards,

Joe

The techmage trilogy and the series really show Galen differently. In the books you realize that this guy can do some pretty amazing stuff. But in the show he just a had a few cool tricks but nothing substantial. In the books i think Galen could have easily stopped the bullet. In the series i think not.

yes, but in the show we only see what he wants us to see. Remember he is a technomage, and they hide a lot of things, it's about perception. In the trilogy we found out all that was behind them

She had a new series lined up.

I don't believe that Marjean had Beastmaster "lined up" at the time the script was missing. I don't think she even started looking for work on another show until after the final production shut-down. For one thing she was still under exclusive contract to Warner Bros. until July 1999.

Regards,

Joe

The copyright on the episodes is 1998. So Marjean had a contract until the end of the second year.

Possibly no one died. This would make it a repeat of Garibaldi being shot in the back.

In the books i think Galen could have easily stopped the bullet. In the series i think not.

I've got to disagree here. The Galen in the trilogy and the Galen we saw in Crusade were quite different, yes, and from reading the final parts of the trilogy, it's easy to see the beginnings of how Galen becomes the person we seen in Crusade. That doesn't mean that the Galen we see in Crusade isn't capable/wouldn't do the powerful things that we see in the trilogy. He simply chooses not to up until that point.

The books themselves are canon. The trilogy simply shows us things about Galen's character that we hadn't yet had a chance to see in the series. Some of it was beginning to come out at the end of S1, "well" and "path", and much of it was alluded to for many episodes prior to that.

He's just as powerful, if not moreso, in Crusade as he was in the trilogy. He just doesn't need to go around flaunting it.

[He's just as powerful, if not moreso, in Crusade as he was in the trilogy. He just doesn't need to go around flaunting it.

I understand what happend to Galen has made him rather closed to people (not showing them all he is) but there is one particular episode that made me feel that Galen wasn't that powerful. I haven't seen the show since it's first run so i don't remember much but it's the episode where Galen loses his staff in some cave and I think the captain gets it for him. I know his staff is a source of power and without it he's kinda helpless but he really didn't do anything to get back something very very important to him. (maybe i'm remembering the episode wrong)

It was Dureena that got it back.

Basically, it was caught in a mine shaft (for lack of a better description) cave-in which Galen used it to cause. He had to use the full power of the staff to do it because he was fighting the full power of another technomage.

1) IIRC, it shown in the trilogy that the staff is a major deal, made with a piece of the tech that is used during the apprenticeship which attunes to the individual (just like the place of power is). Losing it would significantly weaken him, at least in the short term.

2) I believe that Galen was already somewhat injured. Remember that the scene where the staff is returned takes place in the MedBay because Chambers is examining and working on him. This is the first time that he has allowed even a cursory exam. Remember her reaction to seeing the tech connections for the first time earlier in that scene when she finally gets him to take his robe off of his upper body.

3) Galen thought that the technomage machine that he destroyed with the staff would have also destroyed the staff at the same time. Because he expected it to be destroyed, he didn't try to locate it. (Yes, Galen should know better than to not check the possibilities,\; but we'll chalk that one up to items 1) and 2).)

Also, note that what would have been needed to stop the bullet would have been a shield incantation. Even as powerful as he was in the trilogy, that was always a type of spell that he was unskilled with.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS FOR THE TECHNOMAGE TRILOGY

[He's just as powerful, if not moreso, in Crusade as he was in the trilogy. He just doesn't need to go around flaunting it.

I understand what happend to Galen has made him rather closed to people (not showing them all he is) but there is one particular episode that made me feel that Galen wasn't that powerful. I haven't seen the show since it's first run so i don't remember much but it's the episode where Galen loses his staff in some cave and I think the captain gets it for him. I know his staff is a source of power and without it he's kinda helpless but he really didn't do anything to get back something very very important to him. (maybe i'm remembering the episode wrong)

Episode title: "The Memory of War"

The staff was embedded in machinery created by another Technomage. The machine was underground in a cavern. Galen used his staff it to destroy the machine. The staff used part of Galen's chrysalis (as did Galen's original ship). The staff was crafted by Elric (who took Galen in after Galen's parents had died). Elric gave Galen the staff at Galen's convocation (where a chrysalis stage mage receives his/her Tech and became an apprentice Technomage).

Dureena got the staff back for Galen.

The loss of the staff was mainly of sentimental value, since Galen had progressed far beyond what it could do, by the time we see him in Crusade. Again, Galen is not letting the others know his full capabilities. Still, it's a minor inconsistancy between the Technomage trilogy and the episode (unless something's happened between "Invoking Darkness" and "The Memory of War" to reduce Galen's abilities, but I kind of doubt that).

Back