• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Some general musings

GKarsEye

Regular
Since I haven't started a thread here in like a bazillion decades, here are some general musings as I approach the end of the season 3 DVDs.

- In Shadow Dancing, they send Ivanova and Marcus in the Whitestar to wait for Shadows so they know when to attack. Couldn't they send some sort of beacon or probe to do that?

- Anna Sheridan is pretty cute.

- If I said in another thread that my favorite scene from this season in G'Kar and Londo in the elevator, it has to be tied with the death of Lord Refa. Holy shit, that was ballsy.

I wonder if JMS wrote the lyrics to that hymn as I believe he did for Franklin's one night stand's song.

Which brings me to another important point:

- that singer chick was real cute

Yes, Anna is quite cute. For an undead kinda Shadow servant. ;)

Refa's death was just great. JMS has mentioned being inspired by the similar juxtaposition between upbeat music and appalling violence in Cabaret, when the Jewish club owner is brutally beaten to cheery music of the club itself.

I wonder if JMS wrote the lyrics to that hymn as I believe he did for Franklin's one night stand's song.

"Rock" came from the quote from the Bible, which was later made into a gospel song, used in the show. So it's a real song, though I did write 2 for "Walkabout."

The song in "Rock" is an old gospel song. I've always had a soft spot for old gospel songs and spirituals because of their wonderful use of language and imagery, and you can dance to 'em. Not that I dance, but the theory is there, at least. - JMS
Quotations found on the Guide page for "And the Rock.." at TLG

The gospel song seems to draw its inspiration from these verses in Revelation:

6:15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;

6:16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

6:17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

The same verse gave rise to another gospel song called "Sinner man", in which the title character runs to various natural objects (rocks, trees, streams) asking to be hidden from the Wrath of God. All refuse, of course. One of the questions he asks is "Stars Won't You Hide Me?" - which later became the title of a terrific Ben Bova story about the last surviving Human being hunted across space by vengeful aliens who have sworn to wipe out the race for a heinous crime they say we have committed. The crime is genocide. They claim that we invented an immortality serum, but that the serum required an ingredient that could not be synthesized. For a Human to become immortal a member of a peaceful alien race had to be killed, and apparently we ended up wiping them all out before other, more powerful aliens learned what we had done and came after us.

The universe of science fiction is an oddly small one, and ideas and inspirations come from the oddest places. I wouldn't doubt JMS if he said that he never heard of either "Sinner Man" or the Bova story.

Regards,

Joe

That's... interesting.

I recognised the imagery from the Bible, but not the song, which sounded a little contemporary. It was also just edited so well, including a close up of the singer when she sings "die!," Lennier and the rabbi awkwardly attending to sing along, and, oh yeah, the brutal yet joyful slaughter of that smarmy worm, Refa.

I also doubt I'm the only one who got chills when G'Kar was all, "Leave the head and neck, we will need it for identification purposes," or some such, and he moves his finger across Refa's pencil neck.

Am I evil for liking that sort of thing?

OK, I'll balance it out with something nicer- I just love that shot of Delenn sauntering out of the war room after her discussion with Sheridan about "grouchy" and "cranky." So cute.

Yea, she did have what I like to refer to as "Bill Walton Teeth." Or for those of you who aren't sports fans, "Gary Busey Teeth."

The teeth are "character," or what I like to call "pronounced features."

Many nights at bars have taught me how to put a good spin on how a woman looks.

That singer chick, Cailyn, was played by Erica Gimpel. I saw her recently, on cable, in a film called No Such Thing, starring Saran Polley and Helen Mirren. The film is about a human-like 'monster' living on a tiny island off the coast of Iceland. Directed by Hal Hartley. Pretty interesting. Erica plays Judy, an assistant to Helen Mirren, who is a predatory tabloid journalist.

The teeth are "character," or what I like to call "pronounced features."

Many nights at bars have taught me how to put a good spin on how a woman looks.

I'd respond in more detail what my problem with her teeth is, however my response would belong in the NC-17 forum.
:p

Interesting, about *And the Rock Cried Out.* I never connected the two episodes before, but JMS placed some foreshadowing for ATRCO in *Dust to Dust.* (The dust patient brought into medlab was screaming about the mountain falling on him, which makes more sense after reading the Bible passages above.) JMS' genius strikes again. :)

Welcome back, Joe.

The universe of science fiction is an oddly small one, and ideas and inspirations come from the oddest places. I wouldn't doubt JMS if he said that he never heard of either "Sinner Man" or the Bova story.

Don't be so sure. I just found "Stars Won't You Hide Me" in a collection of short stories edited by Rod Serling, a major name in the genre, no?

That singer chick, Cailyn, was played by Erica Gimpel. I saw her recently, on cable, in a film called No Such Thing, starring Saran Polley and Helen Mirren. The film is about a human-like 'monster' living on a tiny island off the coast of Iceland. Directed by Hal Hartley. Pretty interesting. Erica plays Judy, an assistant to Helen Mirren, who is a predatory tabloid journalist.

And don't forget she was also Coco in the TV series "Fame".

:cool:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back