• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Sinclair & Garibaldi

Sinclair

I just finished watching "Infection" and was just wondering how long Sinclair and Garibaldi have known each other. From one of the last scenes when Garibaldi is talking to Sinclair it seems as if they've known each other since before the Earth/Minbari War, but in another episode ("Babylon Squared" maybe?), when Garibaldi is having a flashback with Lise in it she says something to the effect of "what, you've met this Sinclair character once or twice and you're going off to a station with him?" That makes it sound as if they haven't known each other very long at all.

So my question is: how long have Sinclair and Garibaldi really known each other?

I'm not sure. I know they were in the Mars Riots together, but forget the exact time frame. Lise could have been angry or jealous and therefore under-stating Garibaldi's friendship with Sinclair or her description could have been acurate. We need one of those guys like Joe D. to answer this question, I think.

I think there was a short story about them crashing on mars together. I'm not sure what time period that was but it was definitely before b5

Sinclair met Sheridan during a series of Mars riots (there were several outbreaks at different times before the series starts up), but I'm not sure he met Garibaldi at that time. As far as I can remember the first time Garibaldi met Sinclair was when they stumbled across the first Shadow ship that was excavated on Mars in 2253. Sinclair hired Garibaldi as a pilot to take some kind of team out to the Martian desert and their flyer crashed. I think they were the only two survivors, both were injured, and it took them some time to walk out of the wastelands to get help. (The story is told in part in the S3 episode "Messages from Earth", although I think Garibaldi keeps Sinclair's name out of it. It is also told in one of the B5 comic books.)

Not a long acquaintance, but the kind of intense experience that causes people to get to know each other very well, very quickly. They saved each other's lives more than once on the return journey, and that can form a life-long bond between people even if they never see each other again and only communicate by letter or phone. Lise may have been exaggerating their lack of contact (they may only have "met" twice in person, but stayed in touch by other means) in order to score points in the argument with Garibaldi.

I would imagine that their second meeting was when Sinclair came to Mars to ask Garibaldi to join him on B5. Obviously he remembered him well, and it would only have been three or four years after their first meeting.

Also don't forget, by the time "Infection" rolls around, both Garibaldi and Sinclair have been working together aboard B5 for nearly a year. Long enough for them to have learned a lot about each other's histories, including their past relationships. Sinclair may have met Lise on Mars, and even if Garibaldi never met Catherine Sakai, which he may have done after he and Sinclair made it back to Marsdome when they first met, he probably saw her picture many times in Sinclair's quarters. So he'd have no trouble recognizing her when she came aboard, and he'd certainly know her history with Sinclair. Heck, Sinclair has already developed a close relationship with Delenn in The Gathering and the station has only been operational for a few months at that point. Unlike Garibaldi he seems to have a knack for friendship. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

Joe, I remember a flashback from a S1 episode of B5 inwhich we see Sinclair and Garibaldi engaged in some type of very serious battle. Garibaldi, I think, tells Sinclair to get out while the getting is good. Garibaldi is in total war mode, shouting stuff like "Get some!" as he blasts the enemy. At least that is my memory. I haven't watched those eps in a couple years. But wasn't that the Mars Riots? Can't wait for the DVDs to confirm this type of thing.

That wasn't the Mars riots. That was a timeflash to what later turned out to be a "possible" future. The episode was "Babylon Squared", the same one where Lise Hampton, in another timeflash, complains that Garibaldi is leaving her to go off with Sinclair.

Regards,

Joe

Well then in that case, how long have Garibaldi and Lise known each other for? I'm sure that in 'A Voice in the Wilderness' Garibaldi tells Talia that they were together for a year, but in the 'Babylon Squared' flash back, she mentions 5 years. Is this a mistake?

I think Garibaldi mentioned (in season 5 perhaps) that he and Lise were together but they usually broke up the relationship... and went back together again so many times that he doesn't even remeber how many times they tried. Of course in 2262 they finally succeeded. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,
Marko Marin

I think Garibaldi mentioned (in season 5 perhaps) that he and Lise were together but they usually broke up the relationship... and went back together again so many times that he doesn't even remeber how many times they tried.

Odd. That sounds like the relationship between Sinclair & Sakai!
Are you certain about that? It's possible that Garibaldi & Sinclair had similar relationships, but it sounds a little bogus.

Can you point out the exact episode in season 5?

Sinclair and Garibaldi are similar people. They have gotten to this point in their lives in different ways though.

April 2253
(Day 1)Sinclair hires Garibaldi to ferry him and his team on a search mission. (C-5) [First time they meet; The Comic places this in 2255, Kirkish's comments in ("Message from Earth") suggests a date of 2253. It takes place during the "Martian Winter", which, according to Brett Feinblatt will be centered on April.]
(Day 2) An IPX team unburies a Shadow ship buried under the sands of Syria Planum for at least a 1000 yrs. A worker touches it with his bare hand and dies ("Message from Earth").
(Day 6) IPX tells Dr. Kirkish and the others to move out, and a number of unmarked shuttles head in for 6 days ("Message from Earth").
(Day 7) Garibaldi and Sinclair are shot down [5th day of flying (C-6)] They have only 5 days of air and food with them as they begin to walk out.
Garibaldi and Sinclair, while hiking 50 miles out of the desert together, get stuck in a cave. Finally they get out, and spot a Shadow ship digging out the one Kirkish unearthed. They also discover a Psi-Corps base on Mars, involved in some sort of secret project with the Shadows. Talia is one of many subjects of this project (C8, "Message from Earth"). [It is not clear that this project is actually the same project that made Talia into a "sleeper". Obviously, though, by this time there is some Shadow influence in the EA Government.]

Great site for timeline information here....
http://www.chronology.org/b-five/

Wow! This site is great! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
How do I keep missing stuff like that, i'll never understand. Anyway, thanks for the link!
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Semi-spoiler

ctually Sakai and Sinclair don't get it sorted out in the future par se... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thank goodness my DVD's are on the way, its amazing how much I've forgotten. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Odd. That sounds like the relationship between Sinclair & Sakai! Are you certain about that? It's possible that Garibaldi & Sinclair had similar relationships, but it sounds a little bogus. Can you point out the exact episode in season 5?

I think it was The Wheel Of Fire. When Garibaldi tells Sheridan that he's getting married, Sheridan asks if he's sure about it and then he explains the whole thing... I must watch the episode again...

Regards,
Marko Marin

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back