• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Season 3 DVD on August 12th?

That post cites The Home Theater Forum as the source. I checked the HTF and see that the information comes from someone named "Jimmy M" who has been a member since Feburary 2001 and has posted a total of 121 messages to the board.

I've never heard of Jimmy M before today, and have no idea if his information is to be trusted. There are a number of HTF members who I know work in the industry, or who run DVD-related sites and do indeed get advanced info from the studios. He could be one as well, but I can't vouch for him. All I can say is that none of the sources that I know that are really plugged in at Warner Bros. is confirming this story. I'd take it with a grain of salt until The Digital Bits or DVDFile report the same information. Anybody can make up titles for extras and list likely features.

Regards,

Joe

One rumor going around before the S2 release, was that we would get S3 around September or so, with S4 either in December or January (but likely December due to Christmas sales).

So August 12th isnt that much of a bump up from that initial possibility, and still leaves December for S4. However its all heresay at this point. The only encouraging thing I heard was that several weeks ago JMS said they were finishing up Season 3 already. Makes you wonder if they are already doing commentaries on S4 right now.

One additional note about that post that makes me skeptical:

Introduction from series creator J. Michael Straczynski
Commentaries on 3 key episodes by series creator and stars
That is pretty vague. Didnt even site episode names or who did them. Anyone could have guessed that much, or just toss it out there to get people to talk...

If you look farther down in that thread, there's a link to the cover art. Don't know if that's real either, but it would be a lot of work to go to if it's fake.

It would be strange for Lyta to be one of the four characters to appear on the cover art though, seeing as though she's only in two episodes.

If you look farther down in that thread, there's a link to the cover art. Don't know if that's real either, but it would be a lot of work to go to if it's fake.
If this is real then it looks better than the S2 cover. It looks almost too good to be real though. :D

Someones obviously gone through a lot of trouble to do this.
I'm still skeptical because those are obviously pictures of the actors taken from the episodes, not actual portraits as in the first 2 sets. And why a Narn G'Quon fleet? We only saw those ships once, maybe twice in S3.

That post cites The Home Theater Forum as the source. I checked the HTF and see that the information comes from someone named "Jimmy M" who has been a member since Feburary 2001 and has posted a total of 121 messages to the board.

I've never heard of Jimmy M before today, and have no idea if his information is to be trusted. There are a number of HTF members who I know work in the industry, or who run DVD-related sites and do indeed get advanced info from the studios. He could be one as well, but I can't vouch for him. All I can say is that none of the sources that I know that are really plugged in at Warner Bros. is confirming this story. I'd take it with a grain of salt until The Digital Bits or DVDFile report the same information. Anybody can make up titles for extras and list likely features.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/

B5_S3.jpg

Season 3 Details
5/08/2003

Warner Brothers has announced August 12th as the street date for Babylon 5: The Complete Third Season. Subtitled "Point of No Return", it will be another 6-disc extravaganza featuring all 22 episodes of the third season. In addition, Warner is again working with producer/creator J. Michael Straczynski to bring you the very best in the way of supplements:

Introduction from series creator J. Michael Straczynski
Commentaries on 3 key episodes by series creator and stars
Documentary: Behind the Mask: Creating the Aliens of Babylon 5
Documentary: Designing a Better Narn
Documentary: Designing Tomorrow: The Look of Babylon 5
Data and Personnel Files

Once again this will by brought to you in 16x9 Anamorphic Widescreen, and with sound remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1...all for a list price of $99.98.

:D

That cover, although nice and fun to look at, is obviously fake. I doubt they will start using photos for them instead of drawings :)

I do wish they would though. Or at least get a better artist. The S1 and S2 covers are disgusting to look at. :rolleyes:

And why a Narn G'Quon fleet? We only saw those ships once, maybe twice in S3.

There were a whole bunch of Vorlon ships on the cover of the S1 set, and we never saw more than one of those at a time in the first season. And the current season's booklet has a Minbari fleet upside down. :) These things are being put together by the graphics pros in the WHV art department for maximum visual effect, not by B5 geeks in somebody's basement striving for maximum accuracy. Ditto Lyta's appearance on the cover. Although she's only seen in two episodes, the implication is that she's back on the station full-time after "Gethsemane", working for Kosh. We just don't happen to see her again until "Walkabout". Besides I'm never going to complain about Pat getting a little attention. :)

The link to the cover art was not part of that thread when I posted. I'm glad to see it there, and glad to see that TV Shows on DVD now has this information. That was specifically one of the sites I checked, because I know Dave Lambert has terrific sources and that the studios see him as a resource for getting some early buzz going on upcoming projects. Since I had never heard of Jimmy M, I was skeptical.

The possible September release date wasn't a rumor: That was based on a release schedule for Warner Bros. in the U.K., which was published early this year. It only went as far as November 2003, but clearly showed B5 S3 coming in September. Given that S2 was released in the U.S. on April 29th, and that the U.K. release date is May 26th, an August R1 release for S3 makes sense. And at this rate S4 could easily be ready for Christmas. Heck, assuming that they've already started work on S4 as we speak, and that they're confident enough about sales to spend the money to work on S5 at the same time, we could see the whole series finished by the end of the year.

One thing that seems very likely is that WHV interviewed the cast about all the seasons they appeared in while they had them, and that their comments will be scattered throughout the remaining series. This will cut down on the amount of production time needed for the extras in the later seasons.

BTW, there's nothing odd about the press release copy saying only "3 commentary tracks by JMS and cast members" without giving specifics. Most of the S2 promo material did exactly the same thing.

This is all good. This is all very good. :D

Just to remind everybody, here's what JMS had to say about S2 and after back on December 2nd, 2002, shortly after the S1 set was released:

There's talk about a special musical sequence for the season 3 DVD, with Chris re-scoring 2-3 episodes end to end with non-stop music, future segments on "The Future According to Babylon 5" with NASA and JPL guys (btw, James over at a certain House subcommittee, if you're reading this and could drop me a note, that'd be great). I'd like to see the final bonus section on year 5 be about the fans of the show.

Point being...they're putting a LOT of energy and work into this to make each set better than the one before.

Gee, wonder which three episodes he's talking about? :)

Regards,

Joe

That cover, although nice and fun to look at, is obviously fake. I doubt they will start using photos for them instead of drawings :)

Looks damn good to me. I doubt it's fake.

And why a Narn G'Quon fleet? We only saw those ships once, maybe twice in S3.

There were a whole bunch of Vorlon ships on the cover of the S1 set, and we never saw more than one of those at a time in the first season. And the current season's booklet has a Minbari fleet upside down. :) These things are being put together by the graphics pros in the WHV art department for maximum visual effect, not by B5 geeks in somebody's basement striving for maximum accuracy.

Still, an unside-down Sharlin? You'd think they could do better than that, or at least run 'em by JMS. Surely, he'd have picked up on that (and the Delenn with hair, on the cover), although he did miss the Nials flying backwards in TLaDiS. Shouldn't the "graphics pros in the WHV art department" be striving for maximum visual effect and maximum accuracy?

Ditto Lyta's appearance on the cover. Although she's only seen in two episodes, the implication is that she's back on the station full-time after "Gethsemane", working for Kosh. We just don't happen to see her again until "Walkabout". Besides I'm never going to complain about Pat getting a little attention. :)

Me either. :D It was great to see Lyta on the cover. :D

The link to the cover art was not part of that thread when I posted. I'm glad to see it there, and glad to see that TV Shows on DVD now has this information. That was specifically one of the sites I checked, because I know Dave Lambert has terrific sources and that the studios see him as a resource for getting some early buzz going on upcoming projects. Since I had never heard of Jimmy M, I was skeptical.

The possible September release date wasn't a rumor: That was based on a release schedule for Warner Bros. in the U.K., which was published early this year. It only went as far as November 2003, but clearly showed B5 S3 coming in September. Given that S2 was released in the U.S. on April 29th, and that the U.K. release date is May 26th, an August R1 release for S3 makes sense. And at this rate S4 could easily be ready for Christmas. Heck, assuming that they've already started work on S4 as we speak, and that they're confident enough about sales to spend the money to work on S5 at the same time, we could see the whole series finished by the end of the year.

:D <fingers crossed>

One thing that seems very likely is that WHV interviewed the cast about all the seasons they appeared in while they had them, and that their comments will be scattered throughout the remaining series. This will cut down on the amount of production time needed for the extras in the later seasons.

Didn't Andrea and Claudia look a lot older to you in the S2 extras? Looked like they'd just recently been filmed/taped and without much if any makeup (especially re. Andrea).

Iv'e heard about that "rescoring" of the musical track to 3 S3 episodes. It sounds interesting, but it is also one of those things like Star Wars Ep 4-6 "Special Edition." Will it be better? Even if it is better, its still not the same as the original and may feel odd. I hope you have the option to watch those episodes in original scoring and with the new scoring, assuming they actually do this. It would be neat to see them differently.

Also yes, it does seem for those featurette sequences that they commented in more general stuff than season specific things. Perhaps those for other seasons has already been done. They may have even started the specific episode commentaries for the other seasons as well.

Either way, the August 12th release date is extremely good news! I also really like the cover! :)

Anyone want to start making side bets as to colors for the last 2 seasons?

Season 4: Purple (stunning)
Season 5: Yellow

Those are my guesses. :D

Anyone want to start making side bets as to colors for the last 2 seasons?

Season 4: Purple (stunning)
Season 5: Yellow

Season 4: Purple (stunning, :D )
Season 5: Red (not to be confused with orange, but rather a pure, deep red for the Centauri war, the Drakh, etc.)

Still, an unside-down Sharlin?

Like the guys who did this had any idea what a Sharlin was, or knew that it was upside down. :) And JMS may have been too busy with Jeremiah and other things to check all this stuff over.

Yes, it is quite obvious that Claudia and Andrea just recorded their stuff (ditto the rest of the cast.) I'm not sure what certain people on the moderated group were smoking that made them think that these were old S2 publicity interviews. :)

Regards,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back