• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

SeaQuest DSV

Fas

Regular
It was the show of my childhood, and what got me hooked to science fiction. I feel nostalgia for the very John-Williamish main theme.

I don't remember which studio produced it, but anyone would like to guess what are the chances for this cancelled show to ever come out on DVD? I think they have already released the show on VHS, but i'm not sure.

I don't think I will EVER be able to think of this show again without feeling sadness over Jonathan Brandis's suicide.

:(

Yes, I agree, It was a show that had great potential but was never allowed to truly live (unlike O'Bannon's next creation that lived a lot longer and is coming back to end the story arc -- can we say Farscape?). And what was up with that season cliffhanger and then we're ten years later and all is well premier crap?! Hell, the show gave Peter DeLuise a great step into the biz that has now led to his tremendous work on Stargate SG-1 (and Atlantis now).

But you are all correct, I would also be thinking of poor Jonathan Brandis. Like the show he had such potential, but somewhere something must've gone terribly wrong. What's up with child stars from the late 70's to late 80's? They're all F&*cked! The ones coming up now seem to have a better grip on things...look at Elijah Wood and others like him who've kept things in control and perspective.

By the way, I had the most incredible CRUSH on Brandis...when he died, a fantasy died with him :(

I would buy Seaquest on DVD if they ever released it...for nostalgia if nothing more :)

CE

And what was up with that season cliffhanger and then we're ten years later and all is well premier crap?!

That's what happens when you're NBC and you stupidly sign a contract that forces you to pay for and air three seasons of a TV series because it has the magic Speilberg name attached to it. They had to keep totally reinventing the show because it was pulling the kind of ratings that would have gotten any other seris summarily cancelled.

SeaQuest:BFD - er, DSV is owned by Universal as far as I can tell, and that means its DVD status is probably in limbo until after the NBC-Vivendi deal is consummated. Universal has put a few cautious toes into the TV shows DVD market, but has been reluctant to make commitments on a lot of fronts for the past two years or so because of the pending sale of Vivendi's U.S. entertainment assets. (Which could conceivably split Universal studios and television, for instance.) As things settle down the picture should become clearer. (I know NBC has agreed to buy most of Universal from Vivendi, but I think they may still be waiting for regulatory approval.)

Regards,

Joe

I liked the first season of SeaQuest but got tired because every season they changed things around. I remember all the big changes they made at the beginning of season 2 because the show was on opposite The New Adventures of Lois and Clark (am I nerd for remembering that? :p) and DSV wanted to compete and or steal their audience. As a result many main characters were gone, replaced by a younger, hotter crowd.

And what was up with that season cliffhanger and then we're ten years later and all is well premier crap?!

That's what happens when you're NBC and you stupidly sign a contract that forces you to pay for and air three seasons of a TV series because it has the magic Speilberg name attached to it. They had to keep totally reinventing the show because it was pulling the kind of ratings that would have gotten any other seris summarily cancelled.

I agree..that's what they were doing...the premise was somewhat flawed to begin with...I mean where all can you really go with it? The oceans aren't as big a mystery as they used to be, not to mention they are finite, unlike space. My biggest problem with the whole season premier was the lack of imagination in the writing...if you need to jump ten years later then use the premier to explain it better. Badly written. Which is a shock considering the wonderful work O'Bannon did on Farscape.

As for the DVDs I'm anxiously awaiting them in any way...but if they were released, I'd probably get them...for nostalgia if nothing else.

CE

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back