• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

SciFi and the B5 DVDs ...

Loadhan

Regular
Okay, now I know that SciFi won't get any direct revenue or other perks from the DVD collection ... but given they are the only channel airing the showing in the US, I'm sure they will be looking to try to increase audience and comercial advertisers because of it - at least if the DVDs sell well. Any ideas what they might do? Joe already said they might be going back to 5 days a week ... think they might change it to a better timeslot? Too bad a new movie wasn't coming out later this year; might get a better rating if people are looking for current B5 after buying the DVD's ... oh well ...

Who knows what the DVD sales might do to Sci-Fi's ratings, and what Sci-Fi's response might be? Regarding the reruns, they might just pull back, instead of going for more nights per week. This would be the time for them to air stuff that you can't get on DVD (all the movies except "The Gathering" and "In the Beginning", Crusade, and new B5 features if they're EVER going to do anything new in the B5 universe).

The DVDs are kind of a double-edged sword for Sci-Fi. On the one hand, they'll raise awareness of the series, and may get people interested in sampling it on Sci-Fi before they invest $75 or so in the discs. On the other hand, substantial DVD sales will probably cut into their audience - at least once all five seasons have been released. In the meantime it is probably more of a plus than a minus. I know a lot of people (I'm one of them) who became intrigued by X-Files after catching an episode here and there several seasons after it started, but didnt want to watch it the new episodes because they'd be picking up a complicated mythology in mid-story. We wanted to see it from the beginning. The DVDs made this possible. I bought the first season essentially "sight unseen" and really enjoyed it. When F/X started to rerun the second season, it became the only series I watched on that network. (This may sound like a very idiosyncratic response, but I've seen posts by a surprising number of people who bought the X-Files first season for almost the same reason on the Home Theater Forum. Similarly I'm waiting for the 24 DVD release, because the neither of the weekly showings was on at a convenient time for me, and taping is a pain. I've never seen it, but if I"m working when it comes out, I'll probably buy it.)

Something similar might happen with B5, especially since S2 will be cranking up around the time the S1 set is released. But even if the switch to 5 days a week is permanent, I wouldn't expect Sci-Fi to change the timeslot anytime soon. That is something that will only be done in response to an improvement in the ratings (or a sharp drop in ratings for Trek at 6 PM.)

We'll just have to see how things break.

Regards,

Joe

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Similarly I'm waiting for the 24 DVD release, because the neither of the weekly showings was on at a convenient time for me, and taping is a pain. I've never seen it, but if I"m working when it comes out, I'll probably buy it.)

[/quote]

IMVHO Joe, it is well worth watching !!

Cheers,

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

What Hair said. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

24 DVDs come out Sept. 17 for all who care. I'm looking forward to those (and the CB DVDs) even more than the B5 ones.

It's also very cheap - only about $45. A steal compared to B5 and FS.

B5's currently at 37 on Amazon, btw. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Similarly I'm waiting for the 24 DVD release, because the neither of the weekly showings was on at a convenient time for me, and taping is a pain. I've never seen it, but if I"m working when it comes out, I'll probably buy it.)

[/quote]

Joe, if you get the FX channel, you'll be able to see all 24 episodes of 24 on September 1st. Starting at midnight, they're going to show a marathon of all 24 episodes that conclude at midnight on the following day.

Not that a 24-hour marathon is any more convenient than a regular weekly timeslot, but at least it's another possibility to see all of them. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Lets see watch 24 on FX with commercials for 24 hours straight. Or get the dvd's and watch them the way they were meant to be seen in anamorphic widescreen without commercials.

DVD'sssssssssss :)

capt

Hold off on buying the region 2 "24" DVD release. There are certain scenes missing - apparently, they messed this up during the Q.A. process, and the PAL VHS release is complete. For details on time missing from each episode:

SPOILER WARNING! If you haven't seen it, there is a discussion of which scenes are cut, and how they affect the overall plotline.

http://www.aint-it-cool.com/display.cgi?id=13056

-Tim

Wow, now I'm glad I preordered the R1 one, even though that means waiting a month longer.

I haven't seen any of it (just decided to take the plunge since everyone seems to consider it excellent), and I've been advised to try and keep away from spoilers (I usually don't mind them but looks like this might be an exception), so thanks for the spoiler warning on that link. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Here is the spoiler free version of how many seconds are missing from each episode of "24" on the R2 DVD release:

2am-3am - 3 secs missing
7am-8am - 6 secs missing
8am-9am - 3 secs missing
9am-10am - 3 secs missing
12pm-1pm - 86 secs missing
4pm-5pm - 4 secs missing
5pm-6pm - 4 secs missing
7pm-8pm - 86 secs missing
8pm-9pm - 90 secs missing
9pm-10pm - 91 secs missing
10pm-11pm - 92 secs missing
11pm-12am - 92 secs missing

-Tim

Wow, now I'm glad I preordered the R1 one, even though that means waiting a month longer.

[/quote]

You're waiting a month for nothing, then. The "cuts" enumerated are scenes never shown in the U.S. Because the BBC runs fewer commercials than U.S. broadcast networks, the producers were able to extend scenes for airing in the U.K. Both DVD versions are based on the U.S. broadcast tapes, which were evidently used to master the DVDs. So with either DVD set you're going to see the show exactly as it aired in this country. If you've never seen it before, or caught some episodes in the U.S., you're not going to notice any "cuts".

Regards,

Joe

Oh, OK. With "cuts" being mentioned, it sounded worse than that.

Still, I wouldn't say I'm waiting for nothing, since I made the order weeks ago anyway, and chose R1 for other reasons. It just added - or I thought it added - one extra reason for being glad to have made that choice.

You're waiting a month for nothing, then. The "cuts" enumerated are scenes never shown in the U.S.

[/quote]

I wouldn't be too sure of that Joe. I just happened to go to the 24 forum at Fox's site to check out what was up. Apparently, someone with the UK version of the DVD did notice some cuts when compared to earlier broadcasts: 24 Cut?

I read in a later message (I didn't read all 123 of them /forums/images/icons/grin.gif) that they were offering a sort of recall for the 5th and 6th discs though. I don't know many details however.

Oooops... no, of course I didn't know. I don't really read TV guides anymore.

Then again, I don't watch TV either... I'd be likely to forget to watch it, anyway, as I've been out of the TV watching (or taping) loop for so many months. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I'll have to think about this quite seriously. Thanks for letting me know, though.

i only saw a TV commercial...looked quite good. And I think i saw it in Kanal2, not in TV3. Only time will tell /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

and naturally no mention in their websites.

Sigma

Ah, thanks for the info. Kanal 2... lousy picture quality (at least on my TV/with my cable provider) and endless commercials, from what I remember... but they were the ones who gave us B5 so I can't complain. Looks like their programming is determined by people who do have some taste and occasionally make the right decisions regarding what to spend the little available money on. (Although looking at their other programming, I wouldn't be so sure of it. /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif )

I will have to think about it. I really do fear I'd just forget to watch it, or forget to tape it, or forget to watch the tape if I do tape it (which is what usually happens). *Sighs* Of course, if it really is as good as everyone's been saying, I might want it on DVD anyway - and part of the reason why I decided to get it was that it's comparatively cheap, the season set costs way less than that of B5, for example (well, no extras either, really). Suppose I could still get it and try to sell it or something if I end up not liking it enough.

Just for benchmarking purposes:

I just got my Billboard. For the August 31st issue, the following TV releases ranked:

The Simpsons Season 2 Box Set--3rd place(new to chart)
Dinotopia (TV mini-series)--12th place (7th last week)
Sanford and Son First Season--33rd Place (new to chart)
The Simpsons Season 1 Box Set--35th place (re-entry on chart)
V--The Final Battle--39th place (new to chart)

One can hope that if V can make the billboard chart, B5 can.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back