• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

S5 Region 1 Release Date! (Plus specs and art)

The following was posted by a member at the Home Theater Forum, who says it comes from Warner Bros. via their press and industry news service, but I have not been able to confirm this news via other sources like TV Shows on DVD. Ant, do you have access to the WB press-and-industry-only site? It should be there.

Anyway, here are the purported specs for an April 13,2004 release for Region 1:

The set contains all 22 episodes of the fifth and final season—remastered for widescreen picture and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio.

Introduction to Wheel of Fire (Season 5 of Babylon 5) by series creator, J. Michael Straczynski
Two audio commentaries by J. Michael Straczynski
Movements of Fire and Shadow commentary by cast members Bruce Boxleitner, Peter Jurasik, Patricia Tallman and Tracy Scoggins
Digital Tomorrow—a featurette about making the special effects for the series
Beyond Babylon 5—a featurette focusing on the fans, their reactions to the show and available Babylon 5 merchandise
The Universe of Babylon 5
Personnel Files
Data Files
Gag Reel
Episode previews
Easter Egg—Marcus Cole: Dead or Frozen
Additional and Extended Scenes
New digital widescreen transfer
Remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1

The date given is in the expected range, and the extras described match what JMS has mentioned, especially the doc focusing on B5 fandom. Updates when they're available. :)

Regards,

Joe

Re: S5 Region 1 Release Date?

Just got confirmation from Dave Lambert at TV Shows on DVD who said he was in the process of posting the press release, complete with cover art. (Unusually there is a notation to the effect that the cover art is subject to change, which I don't recall seeing in the initial press releases for the previous seasons. From what I can see of the cover, I think Warner Bros. is wise to leave themselves some wiggle room. :))

Regards,

Joe

Okay, someone dig up the old thread where we were speculating on the colors for the seasons. I said 4 would be purple (it was). I said that 5 would be gold, and it looks like it is! Unless WB reads this post, and decides to piss me off... ;)

I like the extended scenes! Oh, yeah, the rest sounds great too!

I'm hoping this is true - extend every scene without Byron in it in the first half, and shorten his stuff, and cut the "We Will All Come Together in the End" song. However, it doesn't sound like anything they've done thus far.

I think they'll probably rid themselves of the "peanut head" look for Tracy Scoggins. hehehe

Regards,

-Tim

I hope they won't forget to put the B5 logo on the front.

As for the additional scenes, I guess they're like the deleted scenes on the S1 DVD: not included.

cover art. (Unusually there is a notation to the effect that the cover art is subject to change, which I don't recall seeing in the initial press releases for the previous seasons.{snip}

They also need to rewrite that description, before printing it on the box. It is boring and will not sell any extra copies.

That IS pretty funny, but sounds a bit too odd for corporate types to be putting out. Hope it's not a hoax.

Re: season picture

[image]http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/load_image.cfm?Image=Babylon5_S5.jpg[/image]

That IS pretty funny, but sounds a bit too odd for corporate types to be putting out. Hope it's not a hoax.

The "Marcus: Dead or Frozen" thing isn't something made up by the corporate copywriter, it is the actual name of the feature (just like the names of the doumentaries and the other menu items) and would have been supplied by the folks who put together the DVDs. JMS has obviously been involved in the over-all planning for the extras from the beginning, and I have no doubt that JMS both thought of and named this particular Easter Egg.

And TV Shows on DVD does not post news items based on bulletin board posts. They work from press releases from the studios themselves, usually confirmed by checking the industry-and-press-only websites where they post specs, artwork and sometimes video clips. I've seen WB's press site (though the method I once used to access it no longer works :() and I know thats' were Dave Lambert got the cover art. So there is no way this is a hoax. TVSoDVD simply doesn't run these things without confirmation - which is why I dropped the cautions in my first post after I heard back from Dave.

Regards,

Joe

(Unusually there is a notation to the effect that the cover art is subject to change, which I don't recall seeing in the initial press releases for the previous seasons. From what I can see of the cover, I think Warner Bros. is wise to leave themselves some wiggle room. :))

Regards,

Joe

Wiggle room is good.... Witn Lochley front & center I'd consider a plain brown paper bag for storage & other purposes(barf bag) :p

Witn Lochley front & center I'd consider a plain brown paper bag

Maybe they could repeat an error from the S1 set and grab a picture from River of Souls when they mean to use one from an episode. I have no objection to a shot of Lochley from the holo-brothel being prominently featured on the S5 cover. :)

(Or a least a shot where she's wearing her hair down. She does not look good with it pulled back in a bun, but she looks fine otherwise.)

Regards,

Joe

Maybe they could repeat an error from the S1 set and grab a picture from River of Souls when they mean to use one from an episode. I have no objection to a shot of Lochley from the holo-brothel being prominently featured on the S5 cover. :)

(Or a least a shot where she's wearing her hair down. She does not look good with it pulled back in a bun, but she looks fine otherwise.)

Regards,

Joe

Hehehehe...
Ok.. I agree. I always thought someone was trying to give her the Ivanova look, but with her Bette Davis doing Elizabeth R hairline-- she looked more like a hairless... bug-eyed lemur. ;)

sounds a little like the filmed material for $ierras ITF game for me *dreaming*

i don't think there are many other material that they can use... trhey never cut much fromthe episodes and the cuts exists mostly in scriptform and not on filmed material as far as i know...

Hah!

From the TVSoDVD website excerpt (which is usually the back-cover paragraph).

Now both storylines converge in a 22-episode final season (with dazzling Exclusive DVD Extras!) whose events also include Sheridan's attempts to wage peace for the Interstellar Alliance, the tragic fate of the telepaths and the ultimate fireball destruction of the outmoded station after it is declared to be a spaceway navigational hazard. You're cleared for final approach...to Babylon 5.

That part in bold always cracks me up. I remember reading something similar off a VHS tape or something. That sentence has been used before to descrive the last episode, and considering it is taken from an almost throw-away line, it kinda weak and totally gives the wrong idea/impression. It just sounds too funny and cheesy. Hopefully that ISNT on the back of the set, but if it is, oh well I guess...

I think they'll probably rid themselves of the "peanut head" look for Tracy Scoggins. hehehe

I hope so! Yikes! As it is now, lighthouses could replace their bulbs with that cover art and the ships at sea would be safer than they are now. Man, talk about a forehead/face absolutely dominating a picture! It even looks like quite a bit of perspective distortion was involved (Lochley too close to the lens/too short a focal length lens used).

Oh God, I hope they do!!
Ms Scoggins has never been my type, but I wouldn't wish that picture on my worst enemy!!

Re: Marcus Cole

When the WB folks were interviewing fans at the San Diego Con for the DVD featurette, one of the questions they asked at the end of the interview was 'Marcus Cole: Dead or Frozen?' I'm guessing this Easter egg is what they had in mind.

I was very disappointed to see the absence of any commentary by Mira Furlan on S5. Anyone know why she was not included? Also, anyone know if she had done any interviews for the DVDs?

Re: Marcus Cole

I'd still keep Sheridan front and center.
Wasn't Lochley was in eight episodes?
Whose idea was it to grab her pic from "A View from the Gallery", anyway? It frightened fans the first time around.

Latest posts

Members online

Back