• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Richard Kelly musical w/ Buffy and Silent Bob?!?

Richard Kelly, the writer/director of Donnie Darko, is finally set to direct another movie, titled Southland Tales. Here's the scoop.

Because it's Kelly, there's a high probability that it'll be good, so I'm looking forward to this. A "comedy-musical/thriller" with "fantasy dream environments" set in the near future sounds pretty offbeat, but offbeat is exactly the sort of thing that I like. :)

I am astounded.

Fan of Donnie Darko. Check.
Interest in SMG. Check.
Love Kevin Smith and his work. Check.
Totally love Seann William Scott and want to do nasty things to him. Check.

Wow. I must see this film. :)

Also there's Jason Lee and ALi Larter, who have worked with Kevin Smith of course. Let's hope Matt Damon has a cameo. :)

The original article said that they were "in negotiations" with those actors to join the cast, so it wasn't a sure thing. Now Kelly has confirmed that SWS, SMG, Kevin Smith, and Jason Lee are all signed on, and filming will begin this summer. In that same interview, he says that BRAZIL, DR. STRANGELOVE, and PULP FICTION are the three biggest influences on this movie(!). The official website is also pretty trippy.

Re: Richard Kelly musical w/ Buffy and Silent Bob?

OK, now it's been a year of delays, and they've finally lined up a distributor (Universal), and are set to begin principal photography on August 1st for a release sometime in 2006. And Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has joined the cast. See:

http://comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=9258

Southland Tales is an ensemble piece set in the futuristic landscape of Los Angeles on July 4, 2008, as it stands on the brink of social, economic and environmental disaster. Johnson will star as Boxer Santaros, an action star stricken with amnesia whose life intertwines with Krysta Now (Gellar), an adult film star developing her own reality television project, and David Clark (Scott), a Hermosa Beach police officer who holds the key to a vast conspiracy.

Also, while I've heard that this movie is supposed to be budgeted at a mere $15 million or so, it looks like there's going to be an elaborate set of movie tie-ins:

In addition to the feature film, an expanded version of Southland Tales will be presented as a nine-part interactive experience with the prequel saga to be published as six separate 100 page graphic novels, each written by Kelly. The graphic novels will be released over a six month period early next year leading up to the film's release with the feature film comprised of the story's final three chapters. In addition, the film's official website will be one of the largest and most elaborate ever designed for a feature film. "The graphic novels will work in tandem with the website, creating a more epic multimedia experience for those interested in taking the plunge," added Kelly.

It is indeed strange that they would do something like that for such a modestly budgeted movie. I wonder how that's going to work out. In any case, the official website is getting weirder and weirder.

Looks fucking wonderful! I have faith in Kelly. I think I can tell already where this is going and I'm very happy to see this seeming tale being told.

CE

I am astounded.

Fan of Donnie Darko. Check.
Interest in SMG. Check.
Love Kevin Smith and his work. Check.
You nailed it :)

I'm a fan of SMG and Donnie Darko + i like musicals (and i know it isn't musical) + i like scifi/fantasy themed movies + all the cast additions have been perfect. What not to like? This movie just can't be bad. Southland Tales has been my Most Anticipated Movie since 2004 summer. :)

Looks fucking wonderful! I have faith in Kelly. I think I can tell already where this is going and I'm very happy to see this seeming tale being told.

CE
My biggest (and only) fear is that it will be another Donnie Darko.

Oh yeah, and while it looks like we'll have to wait another year for this movie to hit the cineplexes, if you want ot see something else written by Kelly (but in this case directed by Tony Scott), DOMINO, which stars Keira Knightley and is based very loosely on the real life of model-turned-bounty hunter Domino Harvey, comes out in August of this year:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421054/

CE
My biggest (and only) fear is that it will be another Donnie Darko.

I hope it is another Donnie Darko...times ten! I LOVE that film!

I hope it is another Donnie Darko...times ten! I LOVE that film!
As do i, but i hope it has different feel, theme and pace than Donnie Darko. The less it reminds it the better. Btw i love 'head over heels' scene, just perfect, i like when directors try something new. :)

Movie budget is only $15mil, i hope this wont be any problem.

For the right director with a good story and cast, a lower budget can still be a pain but won't hurt the project. I have faith in RK.

CE

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back