• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Region 4 DVD's

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Region 4 DVD\'s

My first time to start a thread,

I just got my set a couple of hours ago. I had a good look at "And the sky full of stars" and can say that fact that they can let through the mistakes with the aspect ratios is absolutely woeful. But then I didn't expect them to be any different from the Regions 1 & 2 DVD's. I have also seen plenty of artifacts, not small ones, but large ones right across a particular characters face most of the time. Then the specks, oh the specks - my God, they are bad. They are really noticeable but then again I may just be picky.

I have not seen the specks in any DVD release that apparent as in B5 S1. I have only scrutinised a few episodes, but I am assuming that they will all be the same. I am happy that they are out on DVD but the picture quality has taken the edge off my excitement. I refer to the conversation on the forum concerning the difference with DVD player chipsets. I have a JVC DVD player and it looks exactly the same on my brother-in-laws top of the range Marantz DVD player. So far, my B5 S1 VHS copies look better in 4:3. I just wish that someone at WHV would just step back for a minute and ponder the effect a shoddy job has on such a fantastic series. B5 deserves more respect than this. What more can I say, I will watch the rest and then get back to this forum.

Steve

Re: Region 4 DVD\'s

But then I didn't expect them to be any different from the Regions 1 & 2 DVD's.

Well, they are different because the region 1 set does not have the aspect ratio problem with "And the Sky Full of Stars". The specks and dirt decrease markedly as you progress through the episodes. Also make sure that if your television and/or DVD player have selectable modes for "video", "film" and "auto" that you set them to "video" when watching this set. That should virtually eliminate many of the problems that have been reported with the video quality, as attested to by a number of people who have tried this.

Regards,

Joe

Where did you get your R4 discs from? I won't be getting mine till Monday!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Thanks Joe,

I now wish I got the Region 1 DVD's. Damn /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. If I hadn't been as busy as I have been I would been keeping an eye on these forums and thus would have ordered R1's a along time ago instead of waiting for Region 4 DVD's. This solution involving the mode setting of the player, I've looked at my manual and there is no reference to it all. Hmmmm. I might try and play around with it a bit later on.

Oatley,

I ordered mine from dvd orchard and it seems they shipped right on the release date by Courier. It cost me $104.95 AUD plus $5.00 AUD for delivery and it came a couple of days later. It was by far the best price, even amazon and dvdboxoffice were more expensive even with free delivery. I attribute this to exchange rates as the Aussie dollar isn't all that strong. Oh well hope you get yours soon.

Steve

I now wish I got the Region 1 DVD's. Damn . If I hadn't been as busy as I have been I would been keeping an eye on these forums and thus would have ordered R1's a along time ago instead of waiting for Region 4 DVD's. This solution involving the mode setting of the player, I've looked at my manual and there is no reference to it all. Hmmmm. I might try and play around with it a bit later on.

You might be able to find some of the DVD region player hacks here. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I get mine on monday aswell but i live a long way from syndey,if only the weekend didn't interrupt deliveries.

So, if the aspect ratio problem from the Region 2 set has been translated into the Region 4 set, whats the story with replacement dvds?
I've heard some talk of this before, but I really don't know what any of it means. Will there be a replacement dvd avaliable? If so, how do you get one?

thanks,
Tim

Timber,

I really hope they replace the DVD in question. But alas, I am not holding out any hope of it being replaced. Maybe Joe can answer that question. He seems to be five steps ahead of us at any one time.

Steve

That's really strange, because the R4 releases are generally taken from the R1 - that was certainly the case with 'The Gathering/In The Beginning'
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Actually the R4 release of the first B5 DVD was an exception. (In fact, it was exactly the same disc sold in North America, flagged as both R1 and R4 so it would play in both regions.) That's why its NTSC when most R4 DVDs are PAL.

The error on the R2 DVD, which seems to also affect the R4 version, only seems to exist in the PAL master, so the R1 version does not have it.

Regards,

Joe

Back