• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Region 4 DVD news

timber

The first season dvd box set for region 4 is up for pre-order at this site:

http://www.chaosmusic.com/shop/detail.asp?affiliateID=5970&productID=837113

The price is $129.50 aussie dollars including delivery within Australia. I'd probably hold off ordering from this site thou, as the price is a bit much compared do the RRP stated in the WB press release. Also, the release date is 27th of November, much later the the Novemeber 5th release date stated on the press release. But at least it is further confirmation that region 4 will be realsed, and fairly soon too!

Also, region 4 Legend of the Rangers is up for pre order at this site:

http://www.dvdorchard.com.au/Product.asp?AffID=600006&PND=104555

All the information they list is subject to change I reckon, but they do list the release date of the 1st of November, with a price of $32.95 AUD. But again, I'd like to take this as further confirmation that LOTR will be released on region 4 dvd fairly soon. But we'll see anyways.

cheers,
Tim

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Also, the release date is 27th of November, much later the the Novemeber 5th release date stated on the press release.

[/quote]

It sounds like you're referring to the R1 press release, which gives the U.S./Canadian release date and gives the recommended retail price in U.S. dollars. Since $99.99 USD works out to about $183.00 AUD (at least based on today's exchange rate) I'd say $129.00 AUD delivered is a damned good price.

DVD Orchard has a policy of listing titles for pre-order based on nothing more than rumor. No other R4 DVD dealer that I can find is taking orders for Rangers, and no DVD news site in or out of R4 has reported that Rangers is coming to DVD - as they surely would have by now if it were really coming in November. I'll believe this when JMS has something to say about it, or some other sites (especially news sites) start talking about a Rangers release.

Regards,

Joe

$129 AUD is still much more than the 33 euro deal in Germany. It seems that the farther away from the US, the cheaper the set. If this is the case, it would probably be for free on Mars! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Regards,
GenevaRanger

Free Mars? [groan]

$129 AUD is still much more than the 33 euro deal in Germany.

[/quote]

Frankly, I don't believe that 33 Euro deal in Germany. I think somebody (probably at Warner Bros.) screwed up and put out the wrong RRP. All the other prices worldwide are in-line with the U.S. pricing, including Australia - the local equivalent of roughly $100 USD for the RRP, and sell prices discounted by anywhere from 20% to 40%. For the German price to be right the RRP would have to be less than $50 USD or about $50 EUR. (That's assuming all the German dealers are offering a 40 % discount.) I don't see how anybody could make any money at these prices. Unless the German government is subsidizing its DVD industry, I smell a rat. The fact that dealers in no other country are coming close to the German price makes it seem far more likely to me that they're working off the wrong price data.

Regards,

Joe

Frankly, I don't believe that 33 Euro deal in Germany.

[/quote]

I totally agree. But I am wondering what will happen when they find out. Do they have the right to change all the preorders that were made with the 33 Euro price? I hope not! It's a pretty good deal and I am willing to take the chance; if not I can always order the more expensive one, because it is going to be mine anyway!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Regards,
GenevaRanger

I was acctually reffering the Australia press release, which from memory, listed the RRP as 120 AUD, and a release date of 5th of Novemeber. I can't find a copy of it, but it was posted on aus.sf.babylon5, you saw it joe. BUT the fact the fact that chaos music is selling it at above the RRP, kind of makes we question the legitimcy of that press release..

I really don't recall having seen a press release quoted on the Australian B5 newsgroup. But I do know that a lot of similar postings are from paraphrases of actual press releases, and that people sometimes make mistakes when condensing other people's words. I've checked a couple of R4 news sites and none of them quote an official WB press release on this title. (Even though one of them has a page where they post all the press releases they receive.) The closest thing I've found to such a thing is a March 5th 2002 news item giving a (tentative) November 5th release date and an estimated street price of $120 AUD.

Retailers are not generally bound to honor incorrect pricing. (In the U.S. they are explictly exempt from honoring prices that are the result of typographical errors or mistaken information.) When/if the German DVD sites correct their prices they will have to offer anyone who doesn't like the new price the chance to cancel their orders, but that's about it.

Regards,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

Back