• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

RE: Region 4 Babylon 5 series

Ivo

RE: Region 4 Babylon 5 series

When are they releasing the Babylon 5 series on region 4 (Australia) on DVD

Re: Region 4 Babylon 5 series

It *looks* like it hasn't been officially announced. Only one Australian online store (DVD Orchard), from what it seems, lists it as released October 1, but doesn't even have a price estimate yet. Other online stores don't even list it, so it may well not be the official or the actual release date.

Considering that October 1 is just one month away, it would make sense to have official confirmation on this out by now, so it is a bit odd that there isn't - either the people responsible for a R4 release aren't doing the marketing part too well or the actual release date is a bit further away.

If anyone knows anything more specific though, it would be interesting to know.

Well I only know when reg 2 is coming out, also october or november.

R2 - 14 October. R1 - 5 November.
Theoretically it's possible of course that R4 is out earlier since the region 4 Gathering/ItB DVD came out before the other region ones as well, but it still is odd that there is so little information about it, if the 1 October date is right.

*Waves to Rid* Nice to see you here again! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif Hi Krib....can never have enough of B5 boards /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

From DVD Orchard:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Our early warning system is particularly impressive with rumored releases listed sometimes up to a year in advance!!

[/quote]

Personally, I don't think listing rumored releases a year before you think they're coming out is anything to brag about. It hardly provides a worthwhile service to customers.

From their B5 S1 page:

NOTE: The price of this item has not yet been confirmed by the distributors. Any orders placed will be subject to change but you will always have the option to accept the change or cancel your order.

[/quote]

They are still listing S1 as an R4 PAL set with a release date of October 1st. This is clearly nonsense. If the disc were coming in October we'd already be close to the pre-book deadline and they'd have price information from Warner Bros. The R1 set is being released November 5th, and the pre-book deadline is October 8th. You do the math. (Not to mention that every other R4 DVD site would also be taking pre-orders for this set - and none that I can find are.)

This also makes me inclined to dismiss their pre-order page for B5: Legend of the Rangers, supposedly coming November 1st, which they're offering at $32.45 AUD - a price they probably made up based on the typical cost of a single movie on DVD since I can find nothing anywhere to indicate that a DVD release of this film is being planned at all, anywhere. (Hope they charge when they ship, not when you place the order.)

DVDBits, an Australian DVD news site, does not list either title on its "upcoming discs" page for October or November.

I'm afraid we're just going to have to wait until we hear some real information from Warner Bros., or at least until other sites start taking pre-orders.

Regards,

Joe

Just posted a message to JMS on RASFTB5MOD asking about the R4 situation and other international DVD issues. Not sure if he'll answer, or even be able to get the information himself, but we'll see.

I wonder how The Gathering/In the Beginning double-feature disc did Down Under. Its success in the U.S. is what finally pushed Warner Home Video into releasing the episodes in R1. Maybe it didn't do as well there, and they're holding off?

Regards,

Joe

I wonder how The Gathering/In the Beginning double-feature disc did Down Under

I *think* it did quite well. I've been looking around for some stats but can find none. The only thing I'm basing this on is that I saw it sold out in a fair few shops down here near its initial release date. Weather that means anything or not, I dunno.. Could be that the stores didn't anticipate a high demand and didn't stock many to begin with.

The following was posted on the aus.sf.babylon5 newsgroup. According to the author this is a direct quotation from a Warner Bros. press release issued today:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Watched for, Wished for, Available at Last!
BABYLON 5: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON

Warner Home Video Sets a November 6th Debut for the Classic Sci-Fi Series with 6-Disc DVD Giftset

Warner Home Video releases the first 22 regular season episodes of the Emmy Award-winning series Babylon 5 to DVD on November 6 with the 6-disc giftset Babylon 5: The Complete First Season. Loaded with extras including commentaries by series creator J. Michael Straczynski, the set will sell for $119.95 RRP.

The long-running Emmy-winning television series Babylon 5 takes place in the year 2257 A.D., on an immense space station floating in a stationary orbit in a neutral corner of a distant galaxy. Manned by a crew of peaceful Earthmen and women, Babylon 5 serves as a non-political economic and social hub for the four alien races -- the Narn, Centauri,
Vorlon and Minbari -- who fight to control the galaxy.

Babylon 5 was the first-ever television series to use extensive computer-generated imagery and to shoot and air in a widescreen format.

The series rewarded fan loyalty and broke new ground by maintaining narrative consistency through a five-year story arc, and the show was singled out by NASA, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and other noted institutions for its science-based treatment of futuristic space themes/technology. Babylon 5 won two Emmys (for groundbreaking Visual Effects and Makeup) and earned the Saturn Award for Best Genre Cable/Syndicated Series (1999) from the Academy of Science-Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films.

The 6-disc set Babylon 5: The Complete First Season includes the following:

- All-new digital widescreen transfers [16x9, 1.77:1]
- Soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1
- Introduction and audio commentary on two key episodes by series creator J. Michael Straczynski
- Behind Babylon 5 dossier of documentares:
o The Making of Babylon 5
o Back to Babylon 5
o The World of Babylon 5: Take a station tour and explore the humans, aliens, political situations, scientific data, tech files, weaponry and hardware of this unique futuristic era.

[/quote]

The release will apparently be PAL, not an NTSC disc coded as region 4, like the first double-feature TV movie disc. Impoverished Brits might want to consider this set. The RRP of $119.95 translates to around 42.00 pounds, list. Since dealers will undoubtedly be discounting from the RRP, you could come out ahead even after factoring in shipping.

So far none of the R4 DVD sites I'm aware of has been updated to reflect this new information, assuming it is genuine.

Regards,

Joe

AWSOME!!

can't wait /forums/images/icons/smile.gif - and I have the money!! hehe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back