• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rangers

Probably won't be necessary.
When we crash their server tonight, THEY'LL KNOW! Hahaahaa!

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say. This was one. No, not good. Not supposed to mention 'one'... or 'THE one'... Mmmm. You never heard that."

yea but could physical proof really hurt???
laugh.gif

------------------
I have always been here...

I would email to it. I doubt it will be necessary, but better too much support than not enough.
laugh.gif

------------------

If you are serious, you want a letter writing campaign.

But to be honest, I think JMS has the desire to do it. We can trust him. If anything you want to do a letter writing campaign to SCI FI. Roswell campaign sent tabasco source... what can we send?

------------------
Dreg: "Most beauteous and supremely magnificent one, this dark spell I hold in my worthless and scabby hand is our gift to you, most tingly and wonderful Glorificus..."
Glory: "Please, call me Glory. And get up, looking at you is hurting my neck."
Dreg: "Forgive me, shiny special one. I beg of you to rip out my inadequate tongue."
Glory: "Gimme."

The reason i chose a e-mail campaign is so that we wouldn't harass JMS...

With e-mail, he can access it anywhere, doesnt cost anything, takes up almost no space, and could respond to all the writers with one quick letter...

------------------

The letter writing campaign will be to the SciFi channel. If I send any more letters to Bonnie Hammer (I've sent many regarding Crusade) she might take out a court order against me! But I think AntonyF is correct, I keep hearing that letters are worth much more than you might think. For some reason (Xeroxing difficulties, I imagine) blue ink is preferred. I've never been that good a letter writer, I just print off so I can use the basic same letter for many people. If anyone thinks its necessary, I'll pop over to another site and get Bonnie Hammer's address.

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

Ms. Bonie Hammer
President
Sci-Fi Channel
1230 Avenue of the Americas
New Yourk, NY 10020-1513

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

I can send the username and password to anyone... but with e-mail i can let JMS see all the support at once and not wait months for all the letters from all over the world (I hope
wink.gif
) to reach him...

------------------

Thanks for the link Hypatia but doesn't anyone think writing them so soon would be premature?
I mean they know the letters they get now (with B5LR's pilot yet to be seen) are just from diehard B5 fans who want to see anything from that Universe....
I'll wait til it shows, then if I like it, letter bombs away
wink.gif

------------------
"Faith Manages"

I said months...
  • tongue.gif

------------------

???

Sci-Fi already knows we want a new series in the B5 universe. That's why they're spending the better part of $4 million (U.S.) to create a TV Movie/pilot.

It is not a question of whether or not the fans want it, it is all the usual questions that go into approving a potential TV series: What is the overall budget for the production year for the network? Which current shows are and are not returning? How many open time slots will there be, how many other pilots are competing for that limited number of slots, what kind of ratings/demographcis is each show likely to pull? How good are the finished pilots and how sustainable do they seem to be as series?

None of these things has anything to do with fan desires, and none of them will be affected by letter-writing campaigns. These are business decisions. Frankly unless Netter and Straczynski either go totally overbudget, or the finished film stinks, I think this one is going to series. Sci-Fi has wanted to do a show with this production team since around the time that Bonnie Hammer came aboard in 1998. They have just needed to deal with practical realities and take things a step at a time since then.

The mere fact that they are letting us get a look at some early footage now tells me that they're happy with what they've seen and excited about the prospects. They had other ways of hyping Dune and the B5 audience isn't that huge in comparison to that for other shows. It does indicate that the B5 audience is important to them, though, and worth courting.

Organizing a letter-writing campaign seems to me to fall somewhere between gilding the lily and preaching to the choir. These folks do not need to be convinced of our interest. The B5 and Crusade ratings are all they needed to gague taht. They need to be convinced that Rangers is a good place to invest some of their limited resources. This is something that Netter and Straczynski have to do. There is no way we can affect the decision at this point.

Finally e-mail campaigns are all-but worthless. Most business executives are not very tech-savvy to begin with, and tend to view e-mail with suspicion. Then there's the fact that anyone who really wants them can setup 20 or 30 e-mail addresses, so a 600 message "campaign" can be the work of 20 people. E-mail is also a) easy and b) free. People who are not passionately interested in a cause can easily be persuaded to type up a quick note and hit "send", or "sign" an on-line petition, by a minority who are passionate about it. Many companies will simply start filtering such "spam" after they start getting enough of it. And e-mail can easily be deleted unread.

Snail-mail, on the other hand, has to be opened and read by somebody just to find out what it is. No company is going to risk throwing it out unopened. Most companies also have policies (sometimes mandated by local laws) that require them to file all consumer correspondence. Snail-mail also requires some effort, and a small investment, to send.

If someone takes the time to hand-write a letter, or print it off a computer, sign it, and stuff it in an envelope, I know they've invested more time and thought than goes into an e-mail. If they're paying 36 cents, or whatever a stamp goes for these days, to send it to me, I know that they are serious about telling me what they think. More often than not they'll get some kind of answer, even if it is only a form-letter.

Often it is more than that. Many of the letters I sent to sponsors of Crusade prompted personal replies that either quoted from my letter or addressed specific points raised. A few of the companies even included coupons for their products or other items. (Kia sent me a very nice pen.
smile.gif
)

So if you're going to do anything, mail a letter to Sci-Fi. But at this point I think everyone should save the postage. There's nothing we can tell them that they don't already know. They are either going to green-light the series based on a cut of the film (the rough-cut in a couple of weeks, or the final cut around August) or they're going to wait until the thing airs in December and they can see the ratings. Either way their decision isn't going to be influenced by letters or e-mails that they receive in June.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

i am getting ready to perform my own Crusade...

I am going to create a e-mail account just so people can say how much they want a Ranger series... then i will give JMS the address and account so he (if he chooses) can see how many people want this and show it to the Sci-Fi channel...

I'll only do this if I know alot of people will e-mail so i thought i'd ask what all you thought first before i get any farther...
crazy.gif

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back