• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rangers Music

Lindley

How did you like the Rangers music?

I thought it was pretty good, but I was hoping for something original. Instead, the theme music was taken right out of the "Into The Fire Combat Simulator".

Despite the fact that the game died, I have the music from it on mp3 (from www.musicofb5.com ), and when Rangers used a portion of it as the theme I was kind of upset.

FYI, if you go to the above site, download "Into The Fire Battle Sequence A", and listen to the last 30 seconds of the mp3.

------------------

Well,

If the game died, then %99 of everyone out there never heard the music. Seems like it would be a shame for something like that to go to waste. I imagine that is one reason it was used. I never heard/saw the game in any stage, so the music seemed new and original to me
smile.gif

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

I thought the music was okay, but considering some of Franke's stuff just plain rocks (like the Vol.2 "Messages from Earth CD"), I expected the Ranger soundtrack to be better than it is.

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

Like everything else in B5: LOTR, Franke tried to do something new while keeping it somewhat familar.

For fans of the game, the fact that a portion of the music was neatly inserted in, AND that it fit perfectly, was great. I take it as a gesture of respect and acknowledgement of the fight that the fans put up for 2 years to try and get their game back.

None of this was negative. The music was impressive. Trying to go backwards is impossible.

------------------
-- IceFire

Well, sure, the theme was recycled. (I thought the main theme for the flight sim would've worked there. It's a bit stronger, IMHO.) I thought the rest of the score broke some new ground, though. Especially Dulann's surreal walk.

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

I may be biased, what with already enjoying Franke's themes and all, but I have to say that the music was one of the biggest things I was looking forward to in the movie (and in a series if it works). After seeing Crusade, I couldn't be more glad that Franke was back at the helm. (Note: I don't hate Chen....I just don't like his music. Personal preference...it just makes my ears bleed..I respect him and JMS for trying something new)

Franke didn't disappoint, for me. His music definately grew throughout the 5 year series, and I think what he did in LotR (save for the Dulann walking part which was a little Chen-like) shows that he's evolved more as a musician. (or deevolved, depending on how you liked him before, and now) His move more towards instrumentational, with computer generated music as an accent or background is really the way to go, (instead of vis versa, which I felt was the case in the first season of B5). In anycase, I'm just glad to see him doing it again, and I enjoy his music. I only hope we can get more of it.

------------------
It's like I've always said, you can get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 than you can with just a kind word.

Well said CaptJodan. I too am a Franke fan, and I also didn't really hate Chen, I only liked his opening music for Crusade and the soundtrack for ACTA. Chen is okay, but Franke is better. And I thought Franke's music for Rangers would be better than it was. But if they ever put it out on CD, yeah, I would order it.

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IceFire:
Like everything else in B5: LOTR, Franke tried to do something new while keeping it somewhat familar.

For fans of the game, the fact that a portion of the music was neatly inserted in, AND that it fit perfectly, was great. I take it as a gesture of respect and acknowledgement of the fight that the fans put up for 2 years to try and get their game back.

None of this was negative. The music was impressive. Trying to go backwards is impossible.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with your assessment. The fact that music was used from a game Fans tried to get going, but eventually was cancelled is a nice tribute, and almost a thanks to the loyal fans who tried to keep it alive. I never knew about the game --- came into the scene too late --- but I think its neat that they would try to have some of the work from back then used now, and give the dedicated fans at least something to show that all their efforts werent for nothing.

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back