• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Races that serve(d) the Shadows

We may have touched upon this before; and if we have, I apologize.

I'm afraid this is one big spoiler.

We know the Shadows had races/peoples that followed their teachings, or that were at least forced/bred into serving the Shadows.

In B5, we are introduced to the Drakh.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>

Yet, in B5 and Crusade, we see at least three distinct physiologies that are described as "Drakh." Maybe this is a male/female or maggot/mature thing -- or some combination...

But in the Techno-Mage novels, we learn that there is more than one race that seem to mix with the Drakh -- specifically, there are also the Streib and Wurt.

I'm pretty certain the beings with the ridges/horns on the back corners of their skulls are Drakh. So, does that mean the other two body types we see (the sturdy, warrior type and the more fragile-looking type that examined Londo in Season 5) are the Streib and Wurt?

If so, which is which?

</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

I suspect the Wurt are the scientist types we see at various points, the Strieb we saw in the episode "All Alone in the Night" where Sheriden is kidnapped, and then there's the Drakh...

The 'horny' guys are most assuredly Drakh, but the soldier types (and the "Emmisary from Drakh" we saw in "Lines of Communication") might not be.

------------------

The Streib were featured in the episode "All Alone in the Night" when they stuck something very much like a Keeper on Ta'lon's head to control him. This made me wonder if the Streib and the so-called "alien surgeons" were one and the same (only with improved makeup). Since that time, though, JMS has commented that the Streib and the surgeons are not the same species.

I don't know if we've ever seen the Wurt, unless they ARE the surgeons.

The Drakh, though, are split into two species or castes. One is a leader caste and the other is a warrior/worker type caste. This was not JMS's original intention, but after the poor appearance of the Drakh costume in "Conflicts of Interest" the producers went back and requested the creation of a totally different Drakh for Season 5. This JMS covered by introducing (albeit only on Usenet) the two-caste element.

We don't really see the two types of Drakh together until "Warzone".

------------------
"When something we value is destroyed, we rebuild it. If it's destroyed again we rebuild it again. And again, and again, and again. Until it stays. "
~Jeffrey Sinclair

Well, theres 3 kinds of Drakh. This is the first one shown on TV, he said he was an Emmissary of the Drakh http://www.z-ha-dum.org/drakh.jpg

he had a weird distortion field around him and the lights dimmed when he walked past.

Then we have these guys, the Soldier Drakh or the Ones who do Not Speak as referred to in the Technomage books http://www.z-ha-dum.org/drakh2.jpg

Then you have the Leader Drahks. these are what Shiv Kala is http://www.z-ha-dum.org/drakh3.jpg

these monkeys are called the Zenar, but I dont know where that name came from. they do all the surgery for the Shadows, implanting stuff in people to be used for Shadow Ship cores http://www.z-ha-dum.org/alien.jpg

There are also the SOLDIERS OF DARKNESS. these guys are invisible and eat peoples guts. the ep was on last night where they showed up.

there are also guys called GOBLYNS who were in the comics. they can blend in and camoflage themselves.

Dont know what a Wurt is, but it sounds gross.

and Streib are the guys who abducted Sheriden in the episoed ALL ALONE IN THE NIGHT. cant find a pic of them, but here's their ship if it helps.
http://www.b5tech.com/miscracesgroups/stribe/stribe.html

------------------
Never start a fight, but ALWAYS finish it.

" The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate for the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise to the occasion. We can not escape history. We will be remembered, in spite of ourselves. The fiery trial through which we pass will light us down in honor or dishonor, to the last generation. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose our last best hope."

Heres the closest pic I could find of a Streib. Only difference is Striebs have red slits in their eyes.
http://www.b5tech.com/league/leagueraces/vreerace.gif

Only thing is, I seem to remember jms saying that the Streib are NOt allied with the Shadows. Any way, Delenn didnt mention it, but then again Minbaris never tell you the whole truth...

------------------

" The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate for the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise to the occasion. We can not escape history. We will be remembered, in spite of ourselves. The fiery trial through which we pass will light us down in honor or dishonor, to the last generation. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose our last best hope."

Found my way into the Lurkers Guide.

"The aliens from Grail are similar to, and distant relatives of, the streibs, but not the same, no. A closer shot would've revealed red slitted eyes instead of the black eyes of the one in Grail."

"I doubt we'll be seeing these guys again for a long time, if ever. So I don't consider them on the level of certain shadows or stuff. They came, they grabbed, we whomped. "

"Wasn't attacking the Streibs an act of war?
The Streib saw an alliance between Earth and Minbar at that moment, which is the LAST thing they wanted to go up against. Also, you don't go to war at the drop of a hat just because somebody sinks or shoots down one of your ships. This is one of the cliches in storytelling. And what the Streibs were doing was totally unjustifiable in any event. Do you gear up for the massive hassle of total war -- supply lines, fleets, all the rest -- because of this incident? Remember, the purpose of the ship was to find races weak enough for them to attack with impunity; they don't want to go up against a force that can strike back. "

------------------

Well, there sure are a whole lot of bad guys out there!

Thanks...

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cern:
he had a weird distortion field around him and the lights dimmed when he walked past.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Which was something they added to hid the fact that the make up looked bad. Never meant to be seperate from the rest of the Drakh. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Then we have these guys, the Soldier Drakh or the Ones who do Not Speak as referred to in the Technomage books http://www.z-ha-dum.org/drakh2.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>IIRC, that's simply your average Drakh with a battle helmet.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

I guess you would know Drakh....
laugh.gif

I'm pretty sure the 2nd Technomage book said that the Soldier Drakh are a seperate kind of Drakh.

As for the Emissary, I realize he was a mistake, but for the sake of continuity I am guessing he is something different, maybe just a Soldier type with a distortion field thingamabob on his belt. Personally I liked that guys look.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Cern (edited October 12, 2001).]

For my own purposes, I've always believed that the Drakh was a catch-all phrase for all or most of the allies of the Shadows. Did we ever really hear the term Keeper in the show?

I suppose I can alter my views to the caste idea, it's not all that different.

Btw, Cern, isn't that a picture of the Vree?

------------------
"No one here is exactly who he appears," - G'Kar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Did we ever really hear the term Keeper in the show? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, future Londo mentioned it to Sheridan in WWE, methinks.

Regards

------------------
"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again..."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B5_Obsessed:
The Streib were featured in the episode "All Alone in the Night" when they stuck something very much like a Keeper on Ta'lon's head to control him. This made me wonder if the Streib and the so-called "alien surgeons" were one and the same (only with improved makeup). Since that time, though, JMS has commented that the Streib and the surgeons are not the same species.

I don't know if we've ever seen the Wurt, unless they ARE the surgeons.

The Drakh, though, are split into two species or castes. One is a leader caste and the other is a warrior/worker type caste. This was not JMS's original intention, but after the poor appearance of the Drakh costume in "Conflicts of Interest" the producers went back and requested the creation of a totally different Drakh for Season 5.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why can't the carapace of the emissary Drakh (in Lines of Communication, btw), and the footsoldier Drakh we see in War Zone, be a helmet of some kind, either for concealment of the wearer's identity, or to give the wearer access to special abilities (like the new helmet for the US Army, that has a flip-down eyepiece, and lets the wearer see images from the PC he's wearing)?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
This JMS covered by introducing (albeit only on Usenet) the two-caste element.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The helmet idea could still jibe with the two-caste idea.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cern:
As for the Emissary, I realize he was a mistake, but for the sake of continuity I am guessing he is something different, maybe just a Soldier type with a distortion field thingamabob on his belt. Personally I liked that guys look.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also liked that one's look (face and whole outfit), and the shimmer effect as he moved. We know the Shadows seemed to shimmer at times. It looks like the Drakh is using similar tech, just less effectively, or at a lower effectiveness setting (maybe for the intimidation factor?).
cool.gif

To me, it wasn't a mistake, it's just a helmet he's wearing.

The Drakh footsoldiers we see elsewhere (e.g. Crusade:War Zone and maybe Each Night I Dream of Home, IIRC) don't look bad to me either. It could just be another kind of helmet. The red eyes could be for intimidation, but they do make you a good target as well. Anyway, no big deal.

I just don't see what most people hate so much about the carapace of the Drakh Emissary or the Drakh footsoldier.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mondo Londo:
We may have touched upon this before; and if we have, I apologize.

I'm afraid this is one big spoiler.

We know the Shadows had races/peoples that followed their teachings, or that were at least forced/bred into serving the Shadows.

In B5, we are introduced to the Drakh.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>

Yet, in B5 and Crusade, we see at least three distinct physiologies that are described as "Drakh." Maybe this is a male/female or maggot/mature thing -- or some combination...

But in the Techno-Mage novels, we learn that there is more than one race that seem to mix with the Drakh -- specifically, there are also the Streib and Wurt.

I'm pretty certain the beings with the ridges/horns on the back corners of their skulls are Drakh. So, does that mean the other two body types we see (the sturdy, warrior type and the more fragile-looking type that examined Londo in Season 5) are the Streib and Wurt?

If so, which is which?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speculation I hope JMS doesn't see:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>No, I got the impression that the Drakh were one race and that the differences we see in them may just be in what each wears for their rank and job. We saw the Drakh emissary in B5:Lines of Communication, similar looking Drakh as footsoldiers in Crusade: War Zone, and Drakh ship captains in Crusade:War Zone and Crusade:Each Night I Dream of Home. Alternatively, the footsoldiers could just be a less evolved, less intelligent off-shoot of the Drakh, who the Drakh leaders just use as footsoldiers, servents, and slave labor.

The Streib and Wort we hear about in the Technomage Trilogy are just other Shadow-ally races. Where did you get the idea they were inter-breeding (assuming that's what you mean by "mix with") with the Drakh?

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.