• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Quick Review of "Invoking Darkness"

Quick Review of \"Invoking Darkness\"

Well, I just finished the third book in "The Passing of the Techno-mages" trilogy, "Invoking Darkness".

It's not a bad book at all, but it is a bit of a tough read. Some people have complained how Babylon 5 is often depressing. Well, the sadness is back again. There are a lot of tough events to sit through in this book. After a while it can wear you down.

On the positive side, you get plenty of exposition as the book delves deeper into the characters and events we've already seen on Babylon 5. On the negative side, sometimes the exposition seems like padding and sometimes it's not particularly useful anyhow. And there's way too much repetition of phrase.

Also, there is some revisionist history going on here and I DON'T LIKE IT!

For instance, the reason why

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> the White Star wasn't shot down on approach to Z'ha'Dum is explained. </font></td></tr></table>

I, for one, never had a problem with the scene as shot, but many fans posted criticism to JMS saying that Sheridan would never have gotten away with his plan.

Similarly, a very important realization by Sheridan

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>(that the Shadows were herding refugees into a supposed safe-zone for an all-out slaughter)</font></td></tr></table>

is shown to have been Galen's discovery instead.

I think this book has taken too much liberty at the expense of the Legend of John Sheridan. Without intervention, two of his biggest successes would've been total failures.

Another big disappointment for me (and this is just me) is that the book ends in 2261 after "Into the Fire" and does not venture into uncharted future. If you want to learn anything about the fate of Galen, you're going to have to wait a while.

Finally, some events in the book just make no sense

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>(like Galen saving Morden) </font></td></tr></table>

and have no repercussions. But they can't be changed because we already know the outcome from the show.

Aside from those complaints, it's a good read. But I also think we've probably had enough of mining and rewriting the old stories. If you thought the second book complicated the events shown in "The Geometry of Shadows", just wait until you see what this one does to "Shadow Dancing" and "Z'ha'Dum".

For what it's worth, I think it's time to let the old stories rest in peace and get on with the new stories and move the characters and the B5 Universe forward.

Maybe something called "The Legend of the Rangers".
laugh.gif

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say.
This was one. No.... *tsk tsk*
No. Not good.
Not supposed to mention... "one", or... THE one.
Hmmmm.
You never heard that."

Re: Quick Review of \"Invoking Darkness\"

While I tend to agree with your thoughts about the book I also found it cleared up a great many things that came and went too quickly in the series. JMS always cuts to the meat of an episode and leaves the viewer to figure out the whys and wherefores.

I still have about 50 pages to read but had to stop and come up for air. I think that I will read the three technomage books again shortly because I usually rush through books wanting to see how they end.
crazy.gif

I really recommend the three books at least to all Babylon 5 fans. The technomages are very interesting characters and they play quite a role in the whole B5 saga.

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Regarding Morden:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>

I think when Galen realized that the Shadowed nudged Morden into serving their plans, and kept Morden under their influence by messing with Morden's brain, Galen felt sympathy and mercy for Morden -- much as he had synpathy for Anna and the hybrid Shadow / Earth ship.

</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

Mondo Londo:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> I agree that Galen was supposed to feel some sympathy for Morden (as were we). However, during the conversation in Morden's room - free and clear of the "Shadow signal" - Morden indicated that he served them willingly, and would continue to do so until the day he died (we knew this from "The Shadow Within"). After receiving that answer, Galen was just about to kill Morden when security forces came in shooting.

But aside from that, the problem structurally is that Morden's fate is quite satisfyingly sealed in the show - this just muddies the waters. Then after all the effort of Galen and even Lorien (?!) to keep him alive, we get the quick wrap-up at the end - "And Morden's head ended up on a pike" </font></td></tr></table>

One last problem I have with this book especially, is that it would be confusing and unreadable to people who haven't seen the episodes in question. The first two books are more stand alone, while this one refers in small bits and pieces to events that we, as viewers, saw in great detail. Our minds fill in the blanks. Without that detail it would be meaningless to outsiders.

Things like the big battle in "Shadow Dancing" and Sheridan's fall at Z'ha'Dum are all in the background but are not fleshed out enough to illustrate them to the new viewer/reader. The highly emotional resonance of Z'ha'Dum, for example, is lost in the translation and Morden's fate would result in a resounding "WTF?".

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say.
This was one. No.... *tsk tsk*
No. Not good.
Not supposed to mention... "one", or... THE one.
Hmmmm.
You never heard that."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back