• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Quick question re. preordering through Amazon.com

Hey all, quick question, and I'm only asking here 'cause I couldnt' find the answer on their site:

When you pre-order the B5 DVD through Amazon, will they take out the money immediately, or do they wait until they ship it to you? I know some places will do the latter, but I didn't know if Amazon was one of them.

Thanks!
-mcn

I've preordered several books, tapes, etc from them and they didn't charge until they shipped, then sent me an email telling me they had charged me.

They definitely charge only upon shipping. So you won't be giving them an unsecured loan for the next couple of months. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

(With their volume they could make some serious money on the "float", but several states specifically outlaw that practice, so national merchants don't do it. Nor do reputable local merchants, even in states where it isn't technically illegal. But you can never be too careful. Always best to check or ask.)

Regards,

Joe

Not sure how pre-orders work but in general when you order something from a company they will do an Authorization on your card but they can not actually take the money until the order is shipped. The Auth will reserve money on your card; however,you will never know it is there unless you are buying something and the reserve plus your purchase is over your credit limit.

I worked at CDNOW a few years back, and all major e-tailers (Amazon included) ship only after the box has left the building. The order status flag (which can be ordered, processing, advance order, backorder, shipped, etc) typically triggers the billing once it has been shipped from the warehouse.

-Tim

Back