• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Possible shape of a series arc?

JMB1138

Beyond the rim
Based on TLADIS, this is my initial thought on what the Rangers series may be like. Seasons 1/2 would deal with the Hand plot thread, possibly resolving it, since we hear nothing of it during Crusade (which, though, does not mean they are not around). By season 3, as many have pointed out already, Rangers will spill over into the Crusade timeframe. I believe that more than anything else Rangers is a second shot at resolving the Crusade arc.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>Perhaps when the Excalibur goes rogue, as they would have eventually done, Martel and Co. will be involved in aiding the awol Gideon.</font></td></tr></table>

It just seems to me that the story of the Hand, though somewhat interesting, does not seem an integral part of the overall story of the B5 universe. I just feel like it's more of a situation created by jms to introduce us to this new group of characters and give them something to do -- that's not to say it's bad, though.

I don't recall exactly when the Telepath War was, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. Is it already over by 2265?

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>I got the impression from G'Kar that Lyta was already dead, and doesn't she die in the Telepath War?</font></td></tr></table>

Anyway, I still think that the Telepath War is being saved for a theatrical B5 movie. Which would kick arse, IMHO.

Also, other possibilities: since these are new characters without personal ties to B5 chracters, we can see them visiting Centauri Prime and having a story dealing with Londo perhaps. They could show some of the events in the the Centauri trilogy books and/or the other trilogies.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>Perhaps even recycle "Value Judgments" as a Rangers episode and have Bester guest star.</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
-jmb

[This message has been edited by JMB1138 (edited January 20, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMB1138:
Is it already over by 2265?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>Perhaps even recycle "Value Judgments" as a Rangers episode and have Bester guest star.</font></td></tr></table>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That script doesn't work without Matheson.

------------------
"Come out kittycat... I won't hurt you... much..." (hear it)
-- Blackarachnia, "The Spark", Beast Wars

drakh@spamcop.net

Anywhere I can read this skript Drakh? Everyone talks about it, and I feel really clueless.
mad.gif

Phil

------------------
"And that, Mollari, is why it will not be your people, or mine, or the Gaim, or the Drazi or the Vorlons or the Shadows who in the end will stand astride the galaxy like giants. It will be the humans."
"I think you are the one who is mad, G'kar," Londo said. "I can choose just as well as the humans. I can choose to stay in this cell, with you, or I can choose to leave."
"Yes, but can you choose for there not to be a cell at all?"
"I don't understand," Londo said.
"Exactly," G'kar said. "Exactly."

Re: criticism of the VR weapons control - it is very difficult to project weapons technology 50 years into the future. When you move centuries it's really a best guess.
Getting it right really isn't the problem, as we can surmise that any weapons control system in use then would be something we couldn't anticipate today. What we can do is make it something unique and understandable to today's audience- and something that can be adequately portrayed with current video technology. That would leave out a nanobot interface. Telepathic control would be undisplayable, too.
Human physical interfacing is, in any case, far too slow for some of today's weapons systems, much less those of the far future. But it has the virtue of being displayable and it allows expression of personality. So what form should weapons control take?
People standing around a weapons console punching buttons has been done to death. You could tap holographic buttons, ala "Earth Final Conflict". Or you could use the VR Ti Bo we see in Rangers. At least it's fresh. It allows for simultaneous direction, cycling and power control. It appears to involve tactical helm control, as well. The major technological disadvantages are that the operator does not have eyes in the back of her head, and it limits weapons emitters to the number of limbs of the operator. There need to be two operators, working back-to-back. This might introduce some interesting crew dynamics, as well. Maybe it would be cool to add some eye implants to allow multiple target aquisition. Also, maybe a major, one-shot weapon tied to the head-butt. Anyway, I feel there are some fine tuning touches that might make the VR weapons control more palatable. Otherwise, I'm afraid we'll be stuck with More-of-the Same.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMB1138:
Based on TLADIS, this is my initial thought on what the Rangers series may be like. Seasons 1/2 would deal with the Hand plot thread, possibly resolving it, since we hear nothing of it during Crusade (which, though, does not mean they are not around). By season 3, as many have pointed out already, Rangers will spill over into the Crusade timeframe. I believe that more than anything else Rangers is a second shot at resolving the Crusade arc.
It just seems to me that the story of the Hand, though somewhat interesting, does not seem an integral part of the overall story of the B5 universe. I just feel like it's more of a situation created by jms to introduce us to this new group of characters and give them something to do -- that's not to say it's bad, though.

Also, other possibilities: since these are new characters without personal ties to B5 chracters, we can see them visiting Centauri Prime and having a story dealing with Londo perhaps. They could show some of the events in the the Centauri trilogy books and/or the other trilogies.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I edited the quote above, somewhat, mainly to remove spoilers. I must admit that I've not read any of the B5-related books or comics. I've refrained because of uncertainty as to how well their plots connect to that of the series. I would welcome suggestions on appropriate reads.

As to the Rangers plot: it seems more tenable than Crusade. For some reason, the Crusade mission was just difficult to connect to. The mystery surrounding Galen was engaging. Otherwise there wasn't the strong sense of connectedness that you got with the original series.

I object to the introduction of a new, even badder enemy when the Drakh haven't been dealt with. Are we going to find new, more powerful allies, or a repository of advanced weapons that allow us to deal with this new threat? Or will we encounter a plot as fresh and engaging as the original series?

I vote for JMS to have the opportunity to show us. Legend of the Rangers has an able Director. There is some potential in the plot. I want to see a follow-on series. But, be warned: Star-Trek's memorable and successful spin-offs had certain keys that made them work. JMS started us off with a much wider canvas, and a much more intense sense of epic vision. It's mighty hard to focus on the path in front of your feet once you've set your sights on the sky.
cool.gif

I have a feeling that when the whole Drakh plague story roles around that the Excalibur and Gideon will become like what General Hague was during B5's second a third season.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Mentioned. Seen breifly. But ultimately doomed. If they go ahead with the whole Earth's the badguy story that people keep talking about with Crusade, then chances are it would be transferred somehow over to the Rangers. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
"Chekov man, it's all the same thing. Chekov and Buffy the vampire slayer - it's all about beautiful losers."

-James Marsters (Spike)

Back