• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Plot points...?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

What are people's guesses at the series (if it get's made) plotline?

There's so much plotlines to go with that it's difficult to imagine what they will focus on. Earth, Drakh, Earth conspirocy, Centauri, Technomages, Vorlon tech, Shadow Tech, Telepath war, ISA, David Sheriden, Garibaldi-Psi-corp etc.

Or do you think JMS will introduce a completely new plotline?

------------------
'The brighter the light, the darker the shadow... symmetrys a bitch' - Me

'Remember, light travels faster than sound. That's why some people seem bright until they speak.' - Me

i have been thinking about the timeline for B5LR.
Matching it up w/ the chronology that is floating around, B5LR would be 2264 or 65.
that is about 1 year before the telepath war (as dated in Crusade as "the recent problems") and about 2 years before the plague (Dec 2266).
and the Centauri and Psi-Corps trilogies put the time of the plague cure (by the Excalibur) less than 4 years after the infection (Bester visits earth in the spring of 2271).

As the Rangers were aiding the search for a cure for the plague, that would probably play as a plot point in a later season of a theoretical series. The telepath war fits into the timeline and is suspiciously absent from the psi-corps trilogy so i would guess (hope) that it would be dealt with.

JMS has a history of modifying ideas that couldn't be done for one reason or another (the substitution of Sheridan for Sinclair in several aspects of season 2 and 3) so he may use some of the material from the unproduced Crusade scripts including the Earth Force test base where they were modifying shadowtech (this also shows up in one of the short stories) and this would fit w/ the role of the rangers in controlling new tech for races not ready for it.

------------------
"I bring the hand of God and that's all I bring. I speak for the Hand of God. I am the Preacher"
The Preacher - Dune Messiah

i almost forgot that B5LR may wrap up the tale of perhaps the most tragic Ranger, Lenier, who disappeared at the end of B5 and is only mentioned sadly in "Sleeping".
There hasn't been any mention in any of the books or eps about what Lenier tried to do to make up for his hesitancy in saving Sheridan. Only that he left the Rangers in search of some way to atone.

------------------
"I bring the hand of God and that's all I bring. I speak for the Hand of God. I am the Preacher"
The Preacher - Dune Messiah

The TV movie takes place in 2265 after the Teep War, which begins in 2264 and ends in 2265. This means that it cannot start too close to the beginning of 2265, and makes it more likely that the series year one will be set in 2266.

So the Teep War and Lennier are both out, except in flashbacks. JMS kept the Teep War out of the Centauri Trilogy and the Telepath Trilogy. He set both Crusade and now Rangers after it. Methinks he is saving the story for someting.

The IA's contacts with the Drakh are limited prior to 2278, as established in the "canon" novels. David Sheridan will turn 3 in 2265, so I doubt we'll see much of him. The Drakh won't release the plague on Earth until 2267, so that certainly won't be a factor for the first year. (The IA evidently dates its founding from Sheridan's inauguration in 2262, when it actually began to function, not from the initial agreement at the end of 2261. All of the Crusade material gives early 2267 as the year for A Call to Arms and the action of S1 is also set in that year.)

While JMS will modify character arcs within a given story to adjust to real-world events, I don't see him moving a great deal between stories. Since he has repeatedly insisted that the Rangers deal has no effect on the future of Crusade one way or another, I don't think he'll allow any use of Crusade plot elements until he is satisfied that the show cannot be revived in any form. As long as Sci-Fi remains open to the idea of new episodes or TV movies down the line, I think Crusade will be off limits.

(Of course if Rangers S1 is set in 2266, and he follows the one season = one year pattern of B5, the obvious time to bring back Crusade would be Rangers year two. Gee, do you suppose this thought crossed JMS's mind when he was setting up the time-line?)

For this very reason I don't think the Earth-Shadowtech business can be a major plotline. That's to be Gideon's discovery and it will cost him. Having the IA find out and be in a position to help him makes life too easy for the Excalibur and her crew.

I'm sure whatever JMS does come up with will be new and interesting. One of the things he wanted to do with Crusade was have a "looser" arc, allowing for more standalone episodes just to play around in the B5 universe. I suspect this is one aspect of the earlier show that will be tranferred to Rangers.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>All of the Crusade material gives early 2267 as the year for A Call to Arms<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Crusade bible or other material?
smile.gif
I'd still be inclined to place it at late 2266, that would work best with the dates we're given in B5 (the founding of the ISA in 2261) and other dates in Crusade (And jms saying RtN takes place 5 months after ACtA).

Since a lot of the material in the original B5 plans were changed, I wouldn't give any info jms says or is written in a bible final confirmation in the official timeline, untill it's said in the show. He can always change his mind, or something might make him change his plans (like Pat Tallman not being available for TPoS, or Claudia Christian leaving).

But anyhow, yeah I think the Rangers pilot will take place in late 2265 (just under 3 years after 'OaR'), and the series' 1st season would be 2266. So if ACtA takes place in late 2266 or early 2267, it'd be between the 1st and 2nd season.

It'll be nice to see what G'Kar is up to after his travels with Lyta.

------------------
vakie

If Crusade were intended to follow the one season = one year rule, then either both ACtA and the S1 have to take place in 2267, or ACtA has to be right around New Year's Eve 2266, which is so close as to effectively make no difference. The banner in "Ruling from the Tomb" at the Mars conference has a date of June or July 2267, if memory serves. "War Zone" takes place within a few days of the end of ACtA. If the whole season is in the same year, then "War Zone" is in 2267.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Yes... buuuut..
smile.gif
jms never intended to do a War Zone, where they would get together right after the Drakh attack. So if ACtA would take place in late 2266, so might WZ.

The B5 pilot took place in 2257, and the series itself then started in 2258 (about 6 months later). There would be atleast some sort of symmetry if ACtA would take place in 2266 and the series in 2267 (about 5 months later), and if the Rangers pilot would take place in 2265, and the series in 2266 (possibly 6 months later?).

But it doesn't really matter, let's just say... ACtA happens somewhere between Dec 2266 and Jan 2267 or sth.
smile.gif

Ooh, only 3 posts untill ambassadorship...

------------------
vakie

So, Joe, are you saying you are expecting Crusade to be brought back to life a year after Rangers starts? If so, do you think JMS will be able to handle the workload of 2 simultaneous B5 shows in addition to all the other things he's already working on? The reason I ask that is that JMS himself recently admitted that Crusade started off with a lack of energy because he was so exhausted from B5. Wouldn't 2 B5 shows at once be even worse?

Also, do you think the B5 universe would be hurt by having 2 B5 shows on at once? I'm not asking that because I doubt JMS's talent and inspiration, because I don't. But the Trek universe was a little shaky at any time it had 2 shows going on at once. When DS9 started before TNG was over, DS9 started off rocky and TNG went down hill. When TNG ended DS9 kicked into high gear and never slowed down. However, when Voyager started it was a piece of crap. Once DS9 ended, Voyager was able to get better. It's still a piece of crap, but at least it has a little more bran in it now.

Granted, B5 is *not* Trek, but I still can't help but wonder if it could suffer the same problem of diminished returns from "double-dipping". On the other hand, even the worst of B5 still holds its own against the best of Trek.

I'm just rambling. Your thoughts?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ninja_Squirrel:
So, Joe, are you saying you are expecting Crusade to be brought back to life a year after Rangers starts?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, I wouldn't take it for granted, but if it's gonna happen, that's where it would be. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>If so, do you think JMS will be able to handle the workload of 2 simultaneous B5 shows in addition to all the other things he's already working on?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>With B5, he the three last seasons more or less completly himself. This time he'll bring in other writers to share the responsibilites. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Also, do you think the B5 universe would be hurt by having 2 B5 shows on at once?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Most people seem to think Buffy and Angel are doing fine, and that "franchise" is currently discussing a thrid spin off, centering in Giles in England...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>So, Joe, are you saying you are expecting Crusade to be brought back to life a year after Rangers starts?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. I'm suggesting that JMS left the door open for that possibility when he planned Rangers, in case SFC is interested, rather than writing himself into a corner.

Workload?

I've lost track of how many series Norma Lear and Gary Marshall each had in production simultaneously in their prime. Buffy and Angel seem to be triving. Chris Carter has The X-Files filming in L.A. and The Lone Gunmen shooting in Vancouver and is breathing new life into one while the other is finding its feet. Dick Wolfe has two Law & Order shows going and the network is looking to add a third for next year.

I'm sure JMS could handle it, especially if he's past the first critical "shakedown" year of Rangers before he starts on anything else. Don't forget, he expects to have the whole first season of "TWCBN" behind him before Rangers goes to series.

Too many shows?

Each of the Treks had its own writing staff, and most of the problems were with the scripts, so I don't see the correlation. (And the script problems were not the result of bad writing. They were the result of Rick Berman being in overall charge, and he's made it painfully clear that he isn't interested in Trek its history or its ethos, just in the "franchise" as a money-maker. Also the studio, with much the same mind-set, refused to let the writers do anything interesting, dangerous or edgy.

That is the at the heart of JMS's negative comments about "The Franchise" He's not opposed to doing multiple shows in the same universe, but to "play-it-safe", "don't-rock-the-boat", "if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it" attitude that Paramount took as soon as the once-despised Trek became a reliable money-maker.

The problem with the Trek shows was not that there was too many of them, or that people were distracted, because for the most part the same people weren't making them. The problem was studio policy.

So I don't think this would translate to the B5 universe situation where Warner Bros. has taken a remarkably "hands-off" attitude since about B5 season one. This is probably the positive side of the Warner Bros. semi-organization - not being a single entity with a single brain, WB television doesn't let marketing and home video dictate show content. (The Trek uniform changes were made so that they could sell a whole new set of action figures for crying out loud.) While the lack of coordination is sometimes maddening (like The WB's refusal to even consider picking up a project associated with rival PTEN, or the struggle to get Warner Home Video to do anything with the show) in this case it may be a blessing.

It is certainly the case that Crusade and likely the case that Rangers will have much "looser" arcs than B5 did (assuming that Rangers has an arc at all, which hasn't been confirmed yet.) Crusade had a predetermined end-point, and various incidents that had to take place along the way, but JMS left himself a lot more flexibility in telling the story. This would avoid the B5 situation where he essentially had to right all of S3 because the arc was cranking so hard he would have had to rewrite any freelance scripts anyway to maintain continuity. It also avoids the season 4 and 5 problems where lots of freelance stand-alone stuff had to be tossed out to wrap the show in one year, then S5 had to be adjusted on the run when it suddenly became a reality.

It was against that background, combined with the constant battles with TNT on Crusade itself, that so badly sapped JMS's vitality. Given two shows where he doen't have to write every single show in a season, a pool of either staff writers of tested freelancers to draw upon and a better relationship with the network, I don't see a similar kind of "burn out" coming up again - even with the odd comic book, movie or other project.

Most freelance TV writers (which JMS used to be) get all of their writing assingments in a single one or two month long "buying season" and then spend the better part of a year simultaneously working on scripts for a half-dozen or more totally dissimilar shows. Almost all of them are working on a spec or assigned feature script at the same time, and many write novels or short stories as well. In fact virtually every professional writer I've ever spoken to or seen interviewed is usually juggling multiple projects. For one thing, most individual projects don't pay all that well, so a writer has to work a lot to write full-time.

I think that it is doable if the opportunity arises, and that JMS has just planned things to allow for that possibility.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back