• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Pikal envy...

drakh

Regular
It just occured to me that among the stuff we've seen from Legend of the Rangers so far, no Denn'boks (fighting pikes) have been seen...

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

Well, denn'boks don't really help against ships. And there isn't much point in fighting each other.
laugh.gif

So... that subject line - are you indicating that you're suffering from it or that a Ranger without a pike isn't a true Ranger?
wink.gif

(J/K of course but the subject did call for it!
laugh.gif
)

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
Visit Kribu's Lounge - now completely ad-free!

They'll be there... I remember an interview with Dylan Neal (a whil ago), he was talkin about fighting with a staff. The only types of staffs in B5 are pikes and since he's a ranger he should have one. I don't think it's possible to make a 2 hr movie on the rangers and not throw in a fighting pike somewhere.
wink.gif

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War Is Life And Death Is The Only True Peace"

Makes sense.
smile.gif
There just weren't any scenes in the trailer where a denn'bok would have come in handy.

You're right, War-Demon - a fighting pike has so far been one of the most important things in a Ranger's equipment so they'll probably find a use for it in the movie itself.

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
Visit Kribu's Lounge - now completely ad-free!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
(J/K of course but the subject did call for it!
laugh.gif
)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Baah, the subject was of course the only suitable one for a thread of this importance.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.

Delenn wasn't surprized to see Marcus with a Pike. She was surprized at the Particular pike.

It was a particularly fine one. An heirloom.

Kinda like owning a katana.
These days anyone can buy a pretty decent Modern reproduction.

If you owned a Genuine Antique about 200 years old, you'd get noticed by people who know what they are worth.

Trying to take one of those antiques out of Japan will get you tossed in Jail these days. They are regarded as National Treasures.

The Pike Marcus had would fit into a similar category. A Minbari Treasure. Receiving it as a gift meant he was Highly thought of.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
In one of the books, I think To Dream In the City of Sorrows, <snip>

However, I take everything disclosed outside of the TV eps with a grain of salt in terms of canon, so there ya go.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a good way of looking at things outside the TV eps and I do the same for the most part. However, there are pieces of material that JMS has said -is- canon. He said this on 6/9/1997:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>The Drennan book, just hitting the stands now, is 100% canon; the Cavelos book, out for a bit now, is about 90% canon. (Those are books 7 and 9.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, the question is ... is your -memory- canon?
smile.gif
It has been a while since I read the book so I cannot answer that question.

PS: I think what bakana said makes the most sense to me.

------------------
Monica Hübinette | http://monica.hubbe.net/ | http://abyss.hubbe.net/b5/

Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter. --G'Kar of Babylon 5

Don't forget the pike-fest in Learning Curve!
laugh.gif

By the way, there is a note in To Dream in the City of Sorrows by JMS stating that the book can be considered canon.
wink.gif

------------------
"We Live for the One. We die for the One!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> So, the question is ... is your -memory- canon? It has been a while since I read the book so I cannot answer that question.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never claimed it was. My memory generally sucks, I only read the book once, and don't remember the scene I mentioned very well. I wasn't sure if everyone got a pike and Marcus had a special one, or if Marcus was one of the few humans who had one at all, that's why I brought it up in the first place.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Delenn wasn't surprized to see Marcus with a Pike. She was surprized at the Particular pike.

The Pike Marcus had would fit into a similar category. A Minbari Treasure. Receiving it as a gift meant he was Highly thought of.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sinclair gave Marcus the pike he'd intended to give to Catherine.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
Sinclair gave Marcus the pike he'd intended to give to Catherine.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a reminder to you guys please leave spoiler warnings for example this bit of information would be concidered a large spoiler by many people.

After all it was only mentioned in the book to dream in city of sorrow's so obviously not everyone has seen it.

Hmmnn wasn't this book written by JMS's wife also? I am sure that made it easier for the writer to maker sure it was all Canon.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Hmmnn wasn't this book written by JMS's wife also? I am sure that made it easier for the writer to maker sure it was all Canon.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it is JMS Wife.
When asked, JMS said that she was Ruthless when it came to getting answers to her questions.
She wouldn't take "I haven't ever thought about it" as an answer.

cool.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

Unless I'm mistaken,

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> I heard that Martell has to challenge Sasaki to Den'Bok match in order to get him to join his crew. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
"When something we value is destroyed, we rebuild it. If it's destroyed again we rebuild it again. And again, and again, and again. Until it stays. "
~Jeffrey Sinclair

Spoiler protection is worthless unless you note what you're spoiling.

------------------

In one of the books, I think To Dream In the City of Sorrows, it was said that all Rangers must train with a Denn'bok, but only those considered worthy by the master training guy, Durhan (or some such), could actually get to carry one around with him. Also, Delenn was surprised to see Marcus with it, implying that it's rare for a human to have one, even if he's a Ranger. Marcus was especially good with the pike, so he got to have one.

However, I take everything disclosed outside of the TV eps with a grain of salt in terms of canon, so there ya go.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
In one of the books, I think To Dream In the City of Sorrows, it was said that all Rangers must train with a Denn'bok, but only those considered worthy by the master training guy, Durhan (or some such), could actually get to carry one around with him. Also, Delenn was surprised to see Marcus with it, implying that it's rare for a human to have one, even if he's a Ranger. Marcus was especially good with the pike, so he got to have one.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could be wrong, but I believe that the Minbari Ranger hierarchy thought it a form of heresy to allow a human to own a fighting pike, and that Marcus was the only human Ranger who had one - mostly because most of the pikes are VERY old and passed down through generations. I want to say that it was either given to him by Sinclair or by the one who taught him the pike.

I think that this was in the "City of Sorrows" novel, but it's been a while since I read it and I could have just dreamed that up.

Also, the Minbari/Ranger leadership could well have changed their policy over the years between the start of the Shadow War and the post-Teep War time period in which Rangers takes place.

------------------
You are finite. Zathras is finite. This...is wrong tool.

jtk724@hotmail.com

That was at a time when Sinclair was a kind of figurehead and made to use Minbari traditions, he also knew nothing about the Denn'bok to really care about it. But now Delenn is head of the Rangers and she would have changed such things.

------------------
BETH: "Well all I did was go for a really long walk."
JIMMY: "Where'd you go?"
BETH: "I don't know... I mean... all over the city, I guess... and then somehow I ended up standing outside Bill's apartment building and... I wanted to make sure he was... really gone, you know... so I figured out which window was his and then I just started yelling, you know, "BILL, HEY BILL!!!"
JIMMY: "And then what happened?"
BETH: "Well, finally someone opened their window and yelled down, "Shut the hell up you crazy bitch!"
JOE: "That's just what Bill would've done."
BETH: "Yeah, and that just made me think... his spirit lives on in others." - Newsradio

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zathras:
I could be wrong, but I believe that the Minbari Ranger hierarchy thought it a form of heresy to allow a human to own a fighting pike, and that Marcus was the only human Ranger who had one - mostly because most of the pikes are VERY old and passed down through generations. I want to say that it was either given to him by Sinclair or by the one who taught him the pike. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We've seen alot of human Rangers with the Denn'bok. I'll give two examples:
(1) When Garibaldi went after Lise he brought some human Rangers with him and they all had Pikes.
(2) When Lennier left Sheridan to die the human Ranger in the room with him had a Pike on him.

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War Is Life And Death Is The Only True Peace"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deviot:
Just a reminder to you guys please leave spoiler warnings for example this bit of information would be concidered a large spoiler by many people.

After all it was only mentioned in the book to dream in city of sorrow's so obviously not everyone has seen it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I thought it was lacking enough information to not constitute a real spoiler, and the book has been out for a long time (since July 1997).

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

I never claimed it was. My memory generally sucks, I only read the book once, and don't remember the scene I mentioned very well. I wasn't sure if everyone got a pike and Marcus had a special one, or if Marcus was one of the few humans who had one at all, that's why I brought it up in the first place.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know ... sorry if I offended you but my comment was meant to tease you. Guess I forgot the smiley that was supposed to go with it ...
tongue.gif

I have also only read the book once but would like to do so again since there are a lot of things in there that are canon.

------------------
Monica Hübinette | http://monica.hubbe.net/ | http://abyss.hubbe.net/b5/

Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter. --G'Kar of Babylon 5

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back