• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

News post: First US Babylon 5 DVD on sale today

B5LR

Regular
<font size="+1">First US Babylon 5 DVD on sale today</font>
<font size="3">It's make or break time for the future of B5 DVDs</font>

The first (and so far only) Babylon 5 DVD went on sale today in the US. It contains the telemovies "The Gathering" and "In the Beginning".

This DVD release is however the make or break time for the future of Babylon 5 releases, with any future products hinging on the success of this one. In a chat with Digital Bits in October, a spokesperson for Warner told the site, "We will evaluate the first release's reception and hope it's great. Because if the DVD performance does not improve upon the VHS performance from a few years back, it will not continue. So please support Release #1."

So I emplore you all to buy the DVD if it's of interest. I'm putting in my order too. Be aware that it is region 1, i.e. the US and relevant areas. Other regions need to be sure that their player is multi-region capable before buying the DVD.

The DVd is now on sale at Amazon.com for $14.98. Click here to purchase it. Oh, and you help B5LR.com in the process.

Thanks to Joe Siegler.

Hi Everyone,
Just letting you all know that this DVD is also available in Australia. I saw (and bought) this just the other day.

Scotty

------------------

I for one looked in many places to find it, but with no luck. I asked in each place I went, but nobody carried it and didn't know if they were planning on carrying it, so I relented and purchased my copy on Amazon.com. Just a few more days to go...

------------------
"I welcome you and present this place to you as a gift. I am called Valen, and we have much work ahead of us."
-Valen, War Without End Pt.2

Yup, ordered mine too from Amazon.com...now if only the bloody thing would actually ship...
wink.gif

Ah, well.

------------------

I'm gonna check out one more store and if they don't have it then I'm probably just gonnna get it from amazon.com.

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War is life and death is the only true peace."

60! That is good.

------------------
"In the book which is my memory, on the first page of the chapter which is the day that I met you, appear the words: 'Here begins a new life'"

I haven't got my pre-ordered DVD yet. I checked with DVD Planet and they sent it via UPS on 12-1 so it should be on my back porch later today.
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

------------------

amazon sales rank is now 56...

i'm quite surprised to be honest, i thought a flurry of pre-ordering and then the slow decline but it seems not...

even more encouragingly, the DVD release is prominently displayed on the IMDB home page under the New on DVD section...

i hope to god WHV officials are watching all this!
wink.gif

------------------

What a shame I don't have a DVD player...

Anyone wanna get me one for the holidays?
laugh.gif

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sputnik:
i hope to god WHV officials are watching all this!
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh, they are. According to JMS:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>due to the response to the movie B5 DVDs it's my understanding that WB is almost there on deciding to release the first few
seasons.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very good news! You can see all of JMS' posts at JMSNews.

------------------
Rob Scott

unfortunately tho, i ain't gonna believe it til i've got season one on DVD in my grubby little paws... (actually my paws will probably be scrubbed clean and the DVDs kept in some kind of sterile environment but you get the picture)...

does anyone, and i'm looking towards joe here, have *any* idea as to when a decision *might* be made? is it a within a week, a month, six months?

i just like to know long i'm gonna be wound up wondering!
smile.gif

cheers!

------------------

According to an earlier JMS post, Warner Home Video had almost completed preliminary work to "conform" the S1 episodes for DVD transfer by October 10th. (They had three episodes to go at that point.) The JMS quotation above is dated yesterday, so I doubt anybody has any better information at the moment than he does. I suspect WHV will make its decision between now and the first week of January, to see just how many they sell during the holiday period. OTOH if the pre-orders and initial brick & mortar store sales are good enough this week (or were good enough yesterday based on spot-checking retailers) they may be making a decision even as I type this. No way to know at this point. I don't have any "sources" who are that close to WHV.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

I got mine from Barns & Noble. I've been looking fro the last of the Technomage books and decided to check out the B&N in downtown DC. While there I noticed a DVD section and decided to check just in case. They had one copy and I put in an order for another to give my mom(who I forced to watch until she also became addicted) for Christmas.

It seemed like a store of decent size and quality, it should be since it's about two hundred feet from Pensylvanial Avenue, so smaller branches may not have either the DVD or book.

After a week of looking I finally got the book and stumbled across the DVD, my lucky day.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

The Orlando B%N had about 5 or 6 copies of the book left after I bought mine a couple days ago.

If a particular B&N is sold out, I believe they will get a copy from the next nearest store for you.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

And BTW, don't think that asking for the B5 DVD even if the store doesn't have it in stock and has no apparent plans is a waste of breath.

If they get enough inquiries, they'll look into it. Especially in a soft retail market.

Even if the effect is not for this release, than when the next B5 release/product is available to order.

Repetition counts in these matters.

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sputnik:
amazon sales rank is now 56...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amazon.com Sales Rank: 55
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

they had plenty of books, one DVD

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

I'm still looking for a store up here that carries it. I've looked at Wal-mart and they didn't have it. I called a local movie store that carry the ST:TOS DVDs and they didn't have it. I called Blockbuster and they didn't have and couldn't order it. I called Jumbo video. They're loking into it for me and I'll go call The Future Shop very soon to see if they're carrying it. If they don't have it then I'll probably order it from DVDBoxOffice.com
smile.gif

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Nothing's the same anymore.
Commander Sinclair - Michael O'Hare

Babylon 5

[This message has been edited by Modane (edited December 05, 2001).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back