• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New auctions to benefit the Rick Biggs family

Jan

Regular
I could have sworn I posted this yesterday...

There are Ebay auctions being held by the Official Bill Mumy Fan Club to benefit Rick Biggs family. 100% of the proceeds will be presented at the benefit next month. There are items from Lost in Space, Twilight Zone, B5, Enterprise and more. Check out:

http://tinyurl.com/5d3mo

or
Mumyclub auctions

Jan

Richard Biggs Memorial Show

Just a note to remind everybody that the Richard Biggs Memorial show will be this coming Saturday, March 19. Rick would have turned 45 on Friday 3/18. The breakfast will be from 10 AM - Noon and then B5 and other stars will be signing from 12:30 PM - 4:00 PM. All proceeds will go to benefit Rick's family.

For more information, check out

http://www.richardbiggs.com

Hope to see/meet some of you there!

Jan

Re: Richard Biggs Memorial Show

Jan

I assume you will be there. Well, I live too far and I would love to be part of this memorial. I believe you will be able to come with fresh news regarding TMoS cancelation.

Could you, or someone else who is planning to attend the memorial ask a direct question to JMS...

How can we, as fans, can help to become a reality the very first B5 feature film? Can we purchase "stocks" for the future project and become kind of minor investors? Or it would be feasible to work with George Lucas (this idea is because GL is independent, have the money and is done with Star Wars saga) in a movie such as the Telepath War? JMS should run regarding the Telepath War, because Walter Koenig is becoming old and he won´t be available in few years.

Thank you and I ENVY you.....

Regards,

Cadu
Zahadum

Z, it would be great if Jan could come back with this kind of info, but, I don't think it's fair to ask someone in this environment, since it is a memorial service.

I assume you will be there. Well, I live too far and I would love to be part of this memorial. I believe you will be able to come with fresh news regarding TMoS cancelation.

Yes, I'm going to be there. From what I understand, though, there'll be the breakfast and the signing, but no presentations or spotlights by the actors as in a more regular convention. I doubt that the actors are likely to tell anything that JMS hasn't said already.

Could you, or someone else who is planning to attend the memorial ask a direct question to JMS...

I don't have any information on JMS being there. He's not mentioned in any of the flyers and I know that there's a comic convention in the area that same weekend. I don't know if he'll be at that either, though.

Thing is, what you're proposing is a *huge* undertaking. In JMS's post explaining what happened with TMOS, he likened the financial aspect to
...complexity only by the Allied invasion of Normandy Beach.
Who would be responsible for investor's money? How would decisions be made? So many other questions that I'm afraid that I simply feel that it's beyond being a fan project. JMS wants to write, not be a financial mogul so even if I were to see him, I don't think that this would be a question I could ask him in a convention setting.

Thank you and I ENVY you.....

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. I'll be sure to post a report.

Jan

Looking forward to it, Jan.

And Za_Ha_Dum, I started a thread on alternative financing, but I stopped it once we knew that JMS wanted to hold it off for a while.

Flounder,

I did not find your thread. Could you place the link? Thanks.

Jan,

I understand it is a major responsibility such idea of launching an alternative way of finance a feature film. I also agree it is risky, but with a modest amount of money I believe you, me and many others would take the risk. I am not suggesting to JMS be the manager for this kind of stuff. He should concentrate his energy in what he does best, which is writting a story.

Same reason why I suggested George Lucas. He could be an excellent partner to produce and develop special effects for the movie B5: The Telepath War. He is done with his saga, hates the Hollywood studios and has the money. Have you guys seen the trailer of Episode 3? It is really great. Industrial Light and Magic really know how to do special effects.

I understand that a memorial is not the best place to raise other subjects, but I bet you that if Richard Biggs is in spirit in this memorial he would not mind to see fans doing our part of supporting a future B5 movie.

Have a good day,

Cadu
Zahadum

Cadu,

I think that what would need to happen is for somebody to put together a comprehensive business plan, present it to Lucas who would then approach JMS. Until somebody is serious enough to do that, with all of the costs, research and industry knowledge that would entail, it's just dreaming on our part. I don't know anybody who could do that, do you?

A few months ago, when fans were saying that JMS should do the Star Wars TV series, JMS said...
I just don't think the friendly folks at ILM know me well enough to think of me
for this. But if anybody over there reading this wants to put in a good word,
feel free.
...which I assume means that JMS and GL aren't good buddies. We don't have any way of knowing if GL is even slightly aware of JMS's work and, if so, if he even likes it. Even if he is wildly enthusiastic, there's no way of knowing if he'd want to invest this way until somebody brings a proposal to the table.

I understand and agree with wanting a B5 movie, and I'd want to help any way I could, but I still don't think that it's anything fans can do.

Jan

Jan,

I agree it is something that apparently is above fans will, but, as JMS says: Faith manages.

Could you imagine to have a very first feature film sponsored by many fans around the world? Just this is enough news to call media´s attention.

But to this come true, first of all it is necessary to develop a financial mechanism where people like us can feel safe on investing, and perhaps, get some profit out of it (of course the profit would revert to the second B5 feature film ;))

Take care,

Cadu
Zahadum

Flounder,

Thanks. I read the thread and is what I have thought too.

It is really sad that the B5:TMoS is not under JMS control. :( But, then Telepath War script is under JMS control :)

Well.....For the moment, what we should do is keep alert to any opportunity that shows somewhere.

I can start contributing with US$ 100 (one hundred) stock. I believe so do you. And Paul Allen can give the US$ 30.000 million and George Lucas the rest..... At least we could be responsible for the "coffee break" production budget :LOL: :LOL:

I can start contributing with US$ 100 (one hundred) stock. I believe so do you.

Oh, I'll put in one or two k (thousands), but as an investment, not a donation.
(Please reply to the other thread about this. I'd like this thread to be a place for a report about how the memorial show went.)

I'd like this thread to be a place for a report about how the memorial show went.)

And you shall have it! Apologies that this is substantially the same report as I've posted on the moderated newsgroup and to JMSnews.com.

What am altogether NICE day! I'm not staying at the hotel where the benefit was held so I took a cab and arrived about 15 minutes before the breakfast was due to start. Met up with SciFiRanger, the webmaster for the KeepB5Alive.com site and headed on over to the ballroom. SciFiRanger, I and another online friend, David were all at table #1 with a few other SF and soap fans. The room was set up with several round tables for the breakfast, the buffet at the back of the room and stage in front. Around the walls were long tables where the actors did the autographing later on. Lori Biggs is a beautiful woman and lovely person. She and her friend Caren were everywhere at once! The little boys, RJ and Hunter are adorable and stongly resemble their dad.

Available to look at and bid on were some cool things for a silent auction including a cast signed Days of Our Lives t-shirt and hat, a 3rd season script (nope, I had it already), signed photos and posters of the B5 cast, including some signed by Rick. There were also items for raffle like copies of the B5 cover TV guide, an entertainment utility, and more photos.

During breakfast, a few people got up to share memories of Rick. I'm afraid that these were soap stars so I don't know who they were. Each mentioned the complete attention Rick would pay to each person he was acting or talking with, something I'd noticed when meeting him at cons. In addition, John Ritter's widow came and spoke for a few minutes about aortic aneurysms, which was Rick's cause of death. Unknown to many, they can be discovered by a simple scan and there's often a family history of them. If you have a family member who might have passed away due to a 'massive heart attack', she urged that you get it checked because they can be detected and repaired.

A space was left at each table for an actor but none came to our table. Bruce, Melissa and Jerry were the B5 stars who attended the breakfast and many fans went and talked and got pictures taken. Toward the end, several of the 'afternoon session' actors came in and were guided to the 'Green Room'.

After breakfast, the room was cleared for about half an hour while the staff cleaned the room and we set up the tables for autographing. Autograph tickets were sold at the door and each actor 'charged' so much per autograph. I was assigned to help out at the table with Jerry Doyle and Stephen Furst. There were some changes from the flyer so let me try to list who was there from B5:

Pat Tallman
Jeffrey Willerth
Bruce Boxleitner
Melissa Gilbert
Jerry Doyle
Stephen Furst
Jason Carter
Marjorie Monahan
Bill Mumy
Ed Wasser
Joshua Cox

Unfortunately, some who originally were supposed to be there, Mira Furlan, Steve Austin, Tracy Scoggins and (sorry, Amy!) Andreas Katsulas didn't make it.

After the main rush of autographing was done, a photo opportunity was held with all the stars on stage and people began to drift around and mingle. They held the drawings for the raffle prizes and I never had a chance to check my tickets but since I didn't see any leftover prizes, I guess I didn't win. Different sets of actors did live auctions for some really cool things. I know there was a poster signed by the cast, one of the Lightspeed lithos and a Season 5 jacket that Bruce donated. I had SciFiRanger take my place as ticket-taker at Jerry and Stephen's table while I rushed to get some autograph tickets and pick up a few of the autographs I needed to get for myself and for another online friend, OmahaStar.

As things were breaking up and the stars were saying goodbye to each other, Bruce was broaching the idea of doing something similar on an annual basis to benefit the family. The idea seemed to get a good reception from what I could tell. As Pat said, Rick would have been the first to do something like that for any of them. I hope it turns out to happen.

If I think of any further details, I'll post them but this is the report while things are fresh in my mind. Like I said, an altogether NICE day.

Your intrepid reporter,

Jan

More new auctions!

I found out about these too late to give you a heads up on the first few but I've learned that there are auctions being held by a close friend of the Biggs family (and RJ's godmother) to benefit the boys. I met Caren at the Rick Biggs memorial event and she's just great.

Check out:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZcarend6a6mQQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEWAQ3aMESOI

or

http://tinyurl.com/62uxh

Caren tells me that there will be more auctions through the month so check back often.

Bid early, bid often and bid high! Good luck!

Jan

Auctions to benefit the Biggs Family

Hey all,

I just got an email from the family friend who's been doing some auctions for the Biggs family. There are only a couple of days left on some photos from Rick's collection, some even autographed by Rick before his death last year. I see there's also a script of Richard's just added that's been autographed by Andreas Katsulas. Caren tells me that she'll ship worldwide so check out the auctions:

Ebay Auctions

Jan

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back