• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Miniseries Anyone?

At some point after Sleeping in Light, someone asked JMS about the loose ends, and he listed some of what he thought were loose ends. JMS answered, showing that some of what the person thought were loose ends, really weren't, and that we already had answers for some of them. Then JMS left it with something like (IIRC):

No writer could be expected to tie up all loose ends, to follow the story of all the characters to their end. B5 was the story of the station, not every being that went through it.

I searched JMSNews to try to find this, but nothing turned up. Ring a bell with anybody else? This is the JMS post I was remembering.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
What will be revealed over the course of the series? All of it.
By the time the series has run its five-year course (Neilsen willing), there will only be ONE unanswered question left: "NOW what?"
jms

[/quote]

Of course, at the time he said that, production hadn't even started yet. Sinclair was still the main character for all five years, the Vorlons were probably still a society where people advanced through assassination, and the Minbari were still androgynous and highly emotional people who struggled to keep their passions under control.

Things change. The real world affected how the story was told in numerous ways. Two things that affected S5 were the expectation that there would be a theatrical film and that there would be Crusade - both of which would deal with aspects of the Telepath War and its aftermath, so only the trigger for the crisis had to be shown in S5, not the event itself.

JMS's posts about which loose ends aren't really loose (we already saw Londo and G'Kar's fate, what happens with David and his Keeper can be deduced from evidence that is presented in the series, etc.) can be found on The Lurker's Guide "Sleeping in Light" page under "JMS Speaks" His parody of a letter from an angry fan to J.R.R. Tolkein is especially funny.

hyp:

Why is that obscure?

OBVIOUSLY he is trying to gather opinions.

[/quote]

His reason for gathering opinions was described as obscure. Nobody said that the fact that he was gathering opinions was obscure.

Re: Claudia's acting.

I still don't understand why people universally attribute bad moment's in an otherwise decent performance exclusively to the actor. There is also a director on the set, who is getting paid, in part, to make sure that the actor's performances bring out the best in the writer's script. And there are two executive producers looking over the director's shoulder. It may be that Claudia just couldn't nail that moment and they didn't have time to keep reshooting it to get it right. Or it may be that the director kept asking her to make it "bigger" against her own instincts and got exactly what he/she wanted on film.

Regards,

Joe

nup, totaly wrong their B5 2262, Crusade 2267, Rangers (i forget, but something like 2265)

[/quote]

Right. B5 S5, 2262. River of Souls, 2263. Teep War, 2264-65. Rangers, 2265. A Call to Arms, December 2266. Crusade S1, 2267. In the Beginning (Centauri Prime sequences) 2278. "Sleeping in Light" 2281.

Regards,

Joe

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino: </font color>
JMS's posts about which loose ends aren't really loose (we already saw Londo and G'Kar's fate, what happens with David and his Keeper can be deduced from evidence that is presented in the series, etc.) can be found on The Lurker's Guide "Sleeping in Light" page under "JMS Speaks" His parody of a letter from an angry fan to J.R.R. Tolkein is especially funny.

[/quote]

From the Lurker's Guide
Sleeping in Light

"You have to really decide *Who is the story about?* You can really only track a couple of characters to the end...here we tracked a number there or nearly there. This story is a history -- told from a future perspective -- about the events of the Babylon station, and those who passed through it, during a specific period in its history."

That was close, but he said it slightly differently somewhere else, mentioning that he never intended to track every one of the characters through to their eventual death.

This gets closer to it: Compressed 4yr Arc Omissions????

The Telepath War *miniseries* is what I've been wanting for awhile now. Since SFC loves to do miniseries, why not?

Tammy

I just wish JMS had pursued them last year when SciFi expressed and interest in doing "something" B5 instead of doing a pilot for a new series.

[/quote]

Well, I believe it was stated that scifi were a little leary about taking up CRUSADE, given its shortened run at TNT. (Nevermind the actual facts behind WHY its run was shortened...)

If you look at the dates when RANGERS and CRUSADE take place, you'll see that the end of CRUSADE's televised run would have interesected with RANGER's late second/early third season. JMS did hint that if RANGERS was a success but scifi still wouldn't pick up CRUSADE, he could use RANGERS as a way of resolving some of CRUSADE's storyline. (Also remember that he had trapdoors and contingency plans for almost every B5 character in case the actor wanted to back out of the series, a la Pat Tallman/Andrea Thompson...)

(How's this for a first post? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif )

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by frulad: </font color>
Well, I believe it was stated that scifi were a little leary about taking up CRUSADE, given its shortened run at TNT.

[/quote]

Leary? Well, it was said that they wanted "their own show" not a continuation of somebody else's show (and to hell with what the fans may want). /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Besides, I doubt SavantB5 was referring to Crusade, but instead meant other possible B5 projects (i.e. not a series).

(Nevermind the actual facts behind WHY its run was shortened...)

[/quote]

Facts? Sci-Fi don't need no stinking facts! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

(How's this for a first post? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif )

[/quote]

Pretty good. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back